Teleconverter for Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D and Tamron and Sigma

TCs were useful tools back when resolution was low (sub 10mp dslrs, and/or high speed 35mm film). In this day and age you're better off just cropping, you'll get comparable if not better IQ and you aren't losing any lens speed.

In general I agree, but you put more pixels on your subject. I just happened to be hanging out with a Baby Owl that wasn't doing much, so I decided to do a little test. I shot the same scene at F4 no TC and did 100% crop, Then threw on the 1.4x and 2x TC cropped it to the same size then reduced the with to the size on the 300mm shot. I think I get more detail with the 2x and more resolution to print larger..
I found it interesting.. Quite a fuzzy little critter.. if you want to download it.. owl NO TC 1558_1321-vert

At the process of considering replacing my Nikon 70-300mm VR with a faster lens

At the moment I am collecting info on theSigma and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 non VC/OS and Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D

Do they take Teleconverter ?

Also would love to hear your thoughts on one or all the lenses.

Thank you :)
What are you trying to shoot?

TCs were useful tools back when resolution was low (sub 10mp dslrs, and/or high speed 35mm film). In this day and age you're better off just cropping, you'll get comparable if not better IQ and you aren't losing any lens speed.

In general I agree, but you put more pixels on your subject. I just happened to be hanging out with a Baby Owl that wasn't doing much, so I decided to do a little test. I shot the same scene at F4 no TC and did 100% crop, Then threw on the 1.4x and 2x TC cropped it to the same size then reduced the with to the size on the 300mm shot. I think I get more detail with the 2x and more resolution to print larger..
I found it interesting.. Quite a fuzzy little critter.. if you want to download it.. owl NO TC 1558_1321-vert
Thank you, I find this reply very helfpul and very informative.
In these pictures I think a TC is not a bad choice at all.

At the process of considering replacing my Nikon 70-300mm VR with a faster lens

At the moment I am collecting info on theSigma and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 non VC/OS and Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D

Do they take Teleconverter ?

Also would love to hear your thoughts on one or all the lenses.

Thank you :)
What are you trying to shoot?
I think it will be easier to say what I will not be shooting.
I will probably not shoot fast moving subject, dont like sports and dont have small kids anymore.
What do I shoot or what will I plan on shooting with this lens ?

Maybe birds on trees, animals at zoo's, everything else I might find interesting.
I just want faster lens and sharper lens then the 70-300mm VR

My results with the 2x on my lens are not typical. The 120-300 just pairs really well with the 2x teleconverter. Someone already mentioned the older nikon 300 F4. They normally run in the 400-500 range. Very sharp, works ok with a 1.4x TC. Very slow AF and I found excessive purple fringing in high contrast scenes that wasn't easy to fix in post processing. I had a Sigma 300 F4 that was very sharp and had great color rendition. AF was slow but you can't get parts for them. 300-400 roughly. https://www.flickr.com/photos/coastalconn/sets/72157636833835254/ I don't think I had a 1.4x TC at the time to test it with. From my experience, it is pretty rare to have a TC that pairs well with the lens. The current Nikon 300 F4 does but that is out of your price range I think. Just tossing out a few ideas

Here's a D5200 shot with the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC @ f/4, 1/250, ISO 2000, 200mm (effective 300mm FoV, due to cropped sensor)

Zoológico de Chapultepec by ruimc77, on Flickr

And here's a D5200 shot with the same Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC + a Bower 2x TC attached to it @ f/5.6, 1/750, ISO 100, 400mm (effective 600mm FoV, due to cropped sensor)

Zoológico de Chapultepec by ruimc77, on Flickr

Excuse my blah-blah, but I've been where you are now. I don't have a TC but have done some research in the past. It will auto focus with Kenko Pro 300 TC's but not with any Nikon TC, it won't even fit on the Nikon TC according to reviews. I don't have a TC but will get a 2X in future for birds and wild life. If I loose to much clarity I'll go back to the 1.4X which is reported to be sharp.

I'm mainly shoot weddings, portraits and Jazz Live concerts (speed not the biggest concern). I've got the Nikon 80-200 f2.8D ring focus. I've tested the previous version of the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Before I bought The Nikon 80-200 I've rented a Tamron 70-200 Non-VC (A001) from a friend every time I need it. He let me keep it for a week at such time and I've put some time on the Tamron 70-200 Non-VC (A001). My experience is on Nikon D7000 and the D7000 is NOT known for its awesome focus system and it get challenging on its own at low light conditions.

Focus speeds: Ideal conditions the Tamron is really good but in challenging low light conditions it starts hunting and is really slow (from my experience). The Nikon 80-200 f2.8D is faster in those conditions, the Sigma is the fastest. Clarity: the Nikon is just in a different class, then the Tamron and then the Sigma. In practise it was what I've got and similar to comparable reviews between the 3.

I've got the Nikon 80-200 f2.8D for ±$650 (in ZAR in South Africa). I could get a new Tamron A001 for $150 more and a used good Sigma for $800 as well. I have never looked back and I'm so glad I went with the Nikon 80-200 f2.8d, it has the most beautiful bokêh - BUT my effect I want to get in my portraits I need to stand back 15-25 meters back, sometimes further, and zoom in but that is my style now. That is the downside of shooting DX (Crop) and try to simulate what they get from full frame. I can't get sharp images with any of these lenses wide open on the Nikon D7000 - or my Nikon 50mm f1.8 or Nikon 17-55 f2.8. I always have to go down to f3.5+ (50mm f2.2+) for my style which I prefer. That is the reason that I will move to full frame in the near future - bokêh & low light capabilities.

What I've seen and heard, the Tamron VC (A009) is in a different class (and all the Nikon 70-200's) with their stabilization and focus speeds but that comes with a price.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nikon D7000 with Nikon 80-200 f2.8D @ f4 ISO3200
$13954434756_01867e5d73_z.jpg

Nikon D7000 with Nikon 80-200 f2.8D @ f4 ISO400
$13972532982_7ffbff6783_z.jpg

Most reactions

Back