Tell me where did I screwed up so bad

cauzimme

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I did a Fall lifestyle inspired photoshoot.
My friend told me, she would like to do a shoot, so I went for her because I knew she would be there.
Unfortunately, she told me I screw up, she takes better selfie of herself and therefore she won't let me post any photo on my port, on facebook, pinterest, instagram. Basically, nowhere. I screw up, but I do like the photo, and it's hurt my ego like hell to have someone I like tell me they take better selfie than my photos. I'm crushed .

Where did I screw up ?

DSC_8009-copy.jpg
DSC_8018-copy.jpg
DSC_8050-copy.jpg

I would say you screwed up by trying to please everyone or thinking that it was possible to please everyone. I wouldn't worry about the people that aren't pleased. You only need to worry about making yourself happy with your shots and knowing you did the best you can do.
There are people in the world who just like to feel that they can do things better than anyone else even though that isn't the case.
Quite often the only way a person can elevate themselves in their own mind is to put down someone else's work.

Unless she told you something very specific that she wanted and you gave her something different, I don't see how you screwed up. I think it's a matter of ego, but not your ego :)

Question: Is this some post-ironic joke or did someone really treat you so unfriendly?

I am not sure about the styling details in #1
I see serious camera shake in #2
In the third one everything is fine in my book except someone should have gotten rid of hair & stuff on the surfaces.

Overall there is not much detail rendering in any of them which can be technical (lens?) or technique. My old homepage, destined for deletion contains such stuff.

with "artistic" trends (aka, InstraGram aweful filters) people have a different sense of what is correct. It seems it's not about being technically correct anymore but, to use the term loosely, "artistically" correct.

I'd like to see one of her selfies too. I'm sure it's an awful instagram one.

I am not sure why you would like someone as thoughtless and uncaring as this but I suppose it's your choice.

Let me guess:

When she holds her camera at arm's length, the camera is quite close, and it has a wide lens, so the selfies have her face very prominent in the frame. There is also distortion, but that is another issue. So her experience is more face in the frame, and her face is probably turned up toward the camera, so more light on it as well. The only suggestion I have for your photos is to add light under her chin and in her eye sockets. You could duplicate the effect by shooting very close and adding light.

Well, the lady is beautiful on the outside and you showed that. What was she expecting, a halo and angel wings?

Yeah quote on quote (translate)

Sorry Ari, I don't like any of those photos.

To be honest, I look at them and I just wanna cry. I see all of my imperfections. The angles are not good.

To which I answered, could you suffer from body dismorphia

And she answers, well I don't know, the selfies I post on instagram are way better, I take 2 shots and I'm happy with the result, here i'm not.

Please don't post any of them, it's not cool for me, it's my image.

I'm testing my theory of body dismorphia since she keep telling me, she looks fat.
upload_2016-10-27_14-10-17.png

upload_2016-10-27_14-8-57.png

upload_2016-10-27_14-9-37.png

Last edited:
To be honest, I look at them and I just wanna cry. I see all of my imperfections. The angles are not good.
Can you get a reshoot? Work on the angles (I don't know what she means by "angles") and take the photos into your editing software to smooth out "imperfections", although I see none.

Can you get a reshoot? Work on the angles (I don't know what she means by "angles") and take the photos into your editing software to smooth out "imperfections", although I see none.

There's no way in hell I wanna reshoot her.
I'm thinking about leaving photography. I'm trying so hard to build myself a portfolio for civvies, I shoot for free, but I just keep having bad experience, my portfolio is still empty. I had model who didn't show up, some who treated me like I was a dog. And now her.

Sorry not much time to C&C, but I'd like to see her selfies. I highly doubt they are better.
This! These may not be your bet work, but they're a very solid set of images. Is there room for improvement? Of course; none of us are perfect. I would ask her to explain exactly what it is that's wrong with them (in her opinion) and remind her that you OWN the images and will do with them as you please (unless of course you signed an agreement to the contrary). Nothing to feel about with these.

I'm thinking about leaving photography. I'm trying so hard to build myself a portfolio for civvies, I shoot for free, but I just keep having bad experience, my portfolio is still empty. I had model who didn't show up, some who treated me like I was a dog. And now her.

Do not shoot for free. Never. It is bad for your self esteem and makes your "customers" look down on you and treat you badly.

90% about photo business is the business part. You can halfways screw up the photo part, if only you are good in the business part. In fact I know people who do just that. Give 150% in the photo part and screw up the buisness part and you are screwed. Been there done that.

Do not let yourself be dragged down by people like her, sorry.

Most reactions

Back