What's new

The Canadian Rockies (some from the archives)

Ann75

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Vancouver, BC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everybody,

My first post of photos on this forum. These are some from the archives and taken with my old 1.3 megapixel camera in the summer of 2005. I hope you like them.

Thanks for looking,
Ann :)


Photo 1: Bow Lake, Banff National Park

BowLake.jpg



Photo 2: Moraine Lake, Banff National Park

DSC00098.jpg



Photo 3: Peyto Lake, Banff National Park

Peyto.jpg
 
Wow what a beautiful place!

Great pictures, welcome to the forum.
 
Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by! :D
 
Great locations :D
Been there, done that...but I would do it again in a hart beat.

We had a meet-up in the Rockies last summer, check the link in my sig to see some of the photo.
 
Hey Big Mike,

Thanks for dropping by! Oh yes, I have seen your photos already...they are FANTASTIC. The Canadian Rockies are the most beautiful area I have ever seen in my life and so far I have been able to visit a few times. I hope to go again soon.

Take care,
Ann :sillysmi:
 
Nice shots Ann75!!

I have been to Moraine Lake before, but don't have any pics. It is a beautiful area!!
 
wow, whats the water temp???
 
wow, whats the water temp???
Those are all fed by glaciers...so they aren't very warm.
 
wow, whats the water temp???

This water is very cold as it comes from glacier runoff as Big Mike mentioned already. Some people also wonder about the color of these lakes. Well, here is an answer to that:
These lakes are can thank their brilliant blue color to the light filtering effect of rock flour (a powdery substance that the glaciers grind off the mountain rocks) in the glacial runoff.

The rock flour suspended in the water filters out much of the light spectrum except for blue and green leaving this remarkable turquoise blue color. The rock flour might also leave that milky look to the water. That's why each lake looks different and each lake might look different on the same day. For example, in the morning it's like a mirror and in the afternoon it's blue. Big Mike has a photo of the Bow lake (the lake in my first photo), but with beautiful reflections: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89064 photo #18

Greetings,
Ann :sillysmi:
 
Very impressive series. Great compositon, and you knew how to use that camera well.
 
Nice compositions...and I was wondering about that water color, thanks for the explanation.
 
Dang Ann ! your making all mine look ummmmm Mmmmm not so gooood :) Nice work you have been doing these are just breath taking
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom