What's new

The Chemically Abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have to get permission to enter these buildings. I'd love to do a little project like this
 
Did you have to get permission to enter these buildings. I'd love to do a little project like this

Sometimes. One of the venues we plan on going to in the summer is "North Brother Island" near the Bronx in New York. And you need to get permission from the New York Department of Parks just to go there. Oh and the only way to and from is by boat. .....obviously...the island part ......i tend to ramble when im high.

AMAZING PLACE



Oh yeah and @Lew, I'm am never not baked. I have had 2 slipped discs in my spine and I smoke to ease pain. Which is all day every day. But when I smoke....I can function like nothing ever happened
 
I think I got a little carried away. However, I do think abandoned psychiatric hospitals are a loaded subject which rely a lot on stigma in order to work. I can appreciate abandoned places, but when the "psychiatric hospital" part of the location is the focus, as it certainly appears here with the "chemically abandoned" tagline - a title which I find repugnantly offensive.


I don't like facebook and find its use repugnant and offensive...your point?





Let's see some more...
 
Last edited:
Here is a few more......


8299590954_8745af5256_c.jpg


Full Size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8221/8299590954_298b254149_k.jpg


8299591628_ac16f4d9ed_c.jpg


Full Size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8299591628_ff30ca1fa4_k.jpg


8299592048_3c62773642_c.jpg


Full Size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8076/8299592048_faebfc0da4_k.jpg


8299592586_1379793b54_c.jpg


Full Size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8218/8299592586_2b0035f7a7_k.jpg


8298541699_ace03b61a9_c.jpg


Full Size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8298541699_6bb0f662a2_k.jpg


8298540661_283d793c99_c.jpg


Full Size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8298540661_b367adadef_k.jpg
 
If you number your photos when you post them, it'll be easier to refer to them. The third and last photo are creepy as heck. I was planning on hitting the hay soon but now I am reconsidering.

Third photo - the bluish color-grading lends itself well, in my opinion, to a horror movie look...also the angle you shot from gives it that fore-boding look, like its towering over you and hiding behind the bushes waiting for you to come in and get dead real quick ( I would add that if you had gone a little to your right, turned more to your left and hunkered down even further so that the tall roof point was more on an intersection of the rule-of-thirds, that feeling of dread would have been augmented)

Last photo - Really like the gritty feeling of this as, again, it lends itself well to a horror movie feel. Two things I would suggest for improvement here is to frame in such a way as to keep the bright spot at the bottom out of the photo (or minimize it in post-process) so that the viewer's eye is not drawn there. Also you don't want to draw the eye to the piece on the wall frame-right about a third of the way down from the top as it seems to be a mistake and not an intentional element in this photo. I like how you kept the wheelchair on the left side of the frame and left the empty space behind as it makes the photo take on a creepier vibe then if you would have framed it on the right. Like there's something dark behind you and you want to get away.

Keep practicing, I look forward to your progress.
 
Last edited:
So you did have permission to visit and shoot here? Most people that shoot abandoned sites just go in and do it, without permission.. and often vandalize a little while they are there also.

The reason permission is required (and is usually nearly impossible to get) is liability! Insurance companies won't insure people who give others permission to go into potentially dangerous places. if they do, They then usually require protective gear, lights, and usually a written waiver of liability! (notice the DANGER and NO TRESPASSING signs?)

I would think that TPF (with TPF's stance toward being nice and careful toward members, and being law abiding in areas of copyright and other things) would not want anything that was taken illegally on here... it might encourage someone else to go do something similar... and possibly get hurt or killed! (especially when it is often drug using adolescents that go to places like this... one of the worst places they could be under the influence of something!) (if you don't believe me.. ask Pixmedic... he has seen it too!)

If you had permission to be in / on a potentially dangerous, private, abandoned facility.... then fine. Please post your shots! If you didn't have permission... then that is a problem that the mods should deal with. (how do you verify if he had permission??? Not MY problem!)
 
Last edited:
cgipson1 said:
So you did have permission to visit and shoot here? Most people that shoot abandoned sites just go in and do it, without permission.. and often vandalize a little while they are there also.

The reason permission is required (and is usually nearly impossible to get) is liability! Insurance companies won't insure people who give others permission to go into potentially dangerous places. if they do, They then usually require protective gear, lights, and usually a written waiver of liability! (notice the DANGER and NO TRESPASSING signs?)

I would think that TPF (with TPF's stance toward being nice and careful toward members, and being law abiding in areas of copyright and other things) would not want anything that was taken illegally on here... it might encourage someone else to go do something similar... and possibly get hurt or killed! (especially when it is often drug using adolescents that go to places like this... one of the worst places they could be under the influence of something!) (if you don't believe me.. ask Pixmedic... he has seen it too!)

If you had permission to be in / on a potentially dangerous, private, abandoned facility.... then fine. Please post your shots! If you didn't have permission... then that is a problem that the mods should deal with. (how do you verify if he had permission??? Not MY problem!)

I think it would be surprising how many photos are put up on here that are either take while trespassing or taken illegally without a property release.
 
cgipson1 said:
So you did have permission to visit and shoot here? Most people that shoot abandoned sites just go in and do it, without permission.. and often vandalize a little while they are there also.

The reason permission is required (and is usually nearly impossible to get) is liability! Insurance companies won't insure people who give others permission to go into potentially dangerous places. if they do, They then usually require protective gear, lights, and usually a written waiver of liability! (notice the DANGER and NO TRESPASSING signs?)

I would think that TPF (with TPF's stance toward being nice and careful toward members, and being law abiding in areas of copyright and other things) would not want anything that was taken illegally on here... it might encourage someone else to go do something similar... and possibly get hurt or killed! (especially when it is often drug using adolescents that go to places like this... one of the worst places they could be under the influence of something!) (if you don't believe me.. ask Pixmedic... he has seen it too!)

If you had permission to be in / on a potentially dangerous, private, abandoned facility.... then fine. Please post your shots! If you didn't have permission... then that is a problem that the mods should deal with. (how do you verify if he had permission??? Not MY problem!)

I think it would be surprising how many photos are put up on here that are either take while trespassing or taken illegally without a property release.

I'm sure! But many of those are at least not taken in dangerous locations.... that is my main concern! After all, we do have the "JackAss" copycat culture out there! lol!
 
I asked a squirrel for permission to put his photo online, he just stood there with nuts in his mouth; I took that as an okay.
 
I'm sure! But many of those are at least not taken in dangerous locations.... that is my main concern! After all, we do have the "JackAss" copycat culture out there! lol!

You also have a suing culture born of the misguided assumption something is always someone else's fault...

Imagine just how many opportunities are missed because nobody would sign off on it for risk of losing their insurance (even though it's not dangerous in the least, but if someone got a splinter, they'd sue for 10 mill...CRAZY!)

Back to the OP's pics...F'ing brilliant....1, and 3 are nice, but 6 is definitely my favorite...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched this for 7 pages and haven't said a word, but before I run out of blood due to biting my lip, I have to say..."I don't get this thread AT ALL!". Title this thread "A photo documentary an abandoned hospital" and I'm with you. There could be an interest. But for me, that's where it ends. Trying to make the thread "cooler" by consistantly referencing being high on weed isn't working for me either.
As far as this particular subject, I'm with Unpopular. I'm not sure how tasteful or "cool" this thread would be for someone who had a loved one spend any time in one of these places. Mental hospitals may very well become a little less photogenic to those people. 'nuff said. I'm back out.
 
I can't figure out why this thread is so long.
 
I don't care any way way about the subject matter but I still believe the same way I did back at the beginning.
It seems to me that the OP is waging some massive posturing bull$hit here.
He doesn't seem interested in working at his photos, he doesn't seem willing to do things we way we know it works and he is unresponsive to issues about the pictures.

What I do get back is that he sees himself as some sort of urban adventurer, fighting his physical ills with weed and, even in the throes of baked-dom, capturing these photos.


Nah, I care about pictures not attitude.
When I see him posting pictures the way that it works for us here, responding about his pictures, repressing that line of bullcr@p that oozes out at every opportunity then I'd be willing to pitch in and help someone who wants and needs it.

As my last wife said as she went out the door, 'I'm leaving you for anyone else.'
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom