The Coffee House

Exactly, a good point. It's not like you can't go putter around in your garage, yard, garden, or just go walk around the block or whatever. We just won't have a summer of a lot of places open as usual; in my area state parks have been open to go take a walk/hike, etc. but no buildings/events open or happening. Local parks were closed and my neighbor works at one, she was still working since she has to go in and feed the chickens & goats! lol

And even though I lol'd at the post, the situation in Wisconsin isn't really funny, it is but it isn't, makes me shake my head because it seems unbelieveable. Some people have apparently just gone 'round the bend.

Well, number one (my nephew) has decided to come home from CA for a few weeks now that air travel is seemingly ok if you take precautions. He won’t be going back to work until August and being single he’s basically out there alone with the current circumstances. It’s going to be a long flight for him with no food/drink. He’s flying in tomorrow night and going to overnight here before I drive him up to NH. We’ll have to mask it up in the car and keep a safe distance while he’s here. He’s been isolating for months in CA but once he gets to the airport that quarantine is all canceled out and he’ll need to start over before he can relax around family.

I think once the weather warms up and people start getting crankier, all these regulations will go out the window when people start doing what they want.

That's not how regulations work. They don't just concede to whatever people feel like doing.
That's not how they're supposed to work, but the reality is, once people get tired of regulations (ANY regulations), or feel they're pointless/inconvenient, whatever, they will ignore them. All you have to do is look at the number of people who ignore traffic laws, and let's face it, there's a far greater chance of getting killed on the highway then dying from Covid-19. Once the novelty of the current situation has worn off, I agree with Jeff, they will go out the window; not because they've been repealed, but because people will ignore them.

I think once the weather warms up and people start getting crankier, all these regulations will go out the window when people start doing what they want.

That's not how regulations work. They don't just concede to whatever people feel like doing.
That's not how they're supposed to work, but the reality is, once people get tired of regulations (ANY regulations), or feel they're pointless/inconvenient, whatever, they will ignore them. All you have to do is look at the number of people who ignore traffic laws, and let's face it, there's a far greater chance of getting killed on the highway then dying from Covid-19. Once the novelty of the current situation has worn off, I agree with Jeff, they will go out the window; not because they've been repealed, but because people will ignore them.

It's not that simple, though. Regulations don't just go away simply because people ignore them. It depends on the effect of ignoring the regulations. If nothing major happens, then sure, the state might be lenient in enforcing the rules.

But if easing the enforcement leads to a cluster outbreak? One that overwhelms the hospitals or significantly affects a major industry in the area? Yes, there is going to be enforcement.

This is not the same as traffic laws. There are a lot of traffic deaths, but they don't all happen in such high numbers in a concentrated area and short period of time. They don't overwhelm medical staff every day for months. They don't infect people who were just rubbernecking past the accident. And yes, traffic laws are still enforced, but of course people still break the laws and often get away with it, but the state does not say, "Oh well, people want to speed, so we might as well get rid of the laws." The laws stand and are enforced - unevenly and depending on manpower, but enforced nonetheless.

So no, I don't think the state is now going to say, "Oh well, people don't want to stay in, so we'll just get rid of regulations."

This isn't a one-and-done. There are going to be waves, both of infections and in the easing and then reinstating of regulations. I think it's simplistic to assume that regulations are all just going to go away when people get tired of them.

Edit: And Jeff, I'm the same - other than working at home instead of campus, my life hasn't changed much either, so it's no skin of my ass, really. I'll be staying home because I don't like to be around people as a general rule anyway, and the pandemic hasn't changed any of that. In fact, it makes me want to stay away even more - not even because of the virus but because people are just so obnoxious right now.

Last edited:
Just to break up the conversation ... just had a baby Panda Cory. It's only about 1/2" long.

BabyCory.jpg

Last edited:
And...number one just bumped his trip out to...wait for it....next Wednesday

In our area I know people who work in the three major hospitals in town, they are all baffled by the local media gloom and doom reports. They are sending home nurses with nothing to do who would normally be busy. The lack of people being out and doing stupid things to themselves, and the stop of non emergency surgery has actually hurt the medical industry in town.

Leonore, I think I am just getting old, my lack of patience for the general public's non existent use of common sense or personal responsibility. And that's not including the added bonus of Covid. I have definately become a misanthrope.

...This isn't a one-and-done. There are going to be waves, both of infections and in the easing and then reinstating of regulations. I think it's simplistic to assume that regulations are all just going to go away when people get tired of them....
I'm not suggesting for a moment that the regulations will go away just because people don't like them, but I do believe, that in the same way that speed-limit signs are usually nothing more than highway decorations, many, if not most of the regulations relating to the current situation will ignored by increasingly more people until they are about as effective as a chocolate teapot. Not suggesting it's good, but it is, I believe, human nature.

Last edited:
In our area I know people who work in the three major hospitals in town, they are all baffled by the local media gloom and doom reports. They are sending home nurses with nothing to do who would normally be busy. The lack of people being out and doing stupid things to themselves, and the stop of non emergency surgery has actually hurt the medical industry in town.

Leonore, I think I am just getting old, my lack of patience for the general public's non existent use of common sense or personal responsibility. And that's not including the added bonus of Covid. I have definately become a misanthrope.

That means the shutdowns are working, not that they were unnecessary.

human nature
I think our “intelligence” is actually going to be our own Chicxulub impactor.

I read an article mentioning a Harvard Medical School professor (Julia Marcus) saying that an abstinence-only approach likely won’t work. Here’s the article. There’s also a linked article in here.

I like the article, because it helps link general risks to specific activities. IMO, it’s unrealistic to think we can abstain from all interaction and keep businesses closed, because people won’t stand for it. However, having an understanding of what risks there are with what we do might help everyone.

A problem is when people believe and say (and yes people actually do say this-just check the comment section of any news article mentioning COVID-19), “I know it’s wrong and selfish, but I’m not going to wear a mask because this is a free country and that’s what’s great about it.”

That line of thinking is a huge problem. And IMO, it starts with education, because the people that say stuff like this clearly aren’t fully understanding the gravity of the situation nor do they understand the impacts of their decisions on others.

I agree. The shut downs were to flatten the curve and keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. We can’t stay locked down forever and need to start making choices and changes to create our new normal. Good article. They seemed to have nailed some of the indecisive and conflicting info from the piece I had read in the Atlantic, which was confusing. I posted this in the Covid19 thread in the Subscriber’s forum but I’ll add it here for those who don’t have access to that. I found this very enlightening on transmission and it helped me to make some decisions on what our family will/won’t do as things start to open back up.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Other parts of Europe are opening their bars and restaurants and trying to get back to some sort of normality. The problem is how do you keep your social distance on a plane or a train..

Other parts of Europe are opening their bars and restaurants and trying to get back to some sort of normality. The problem is how do you keep your social distance on a plane or a train..

Everyone must wear a mask, don’t touch your face, sanitize frequently touched surfaces, use hand sanitizer frequently, wipe down seats and trays before sitting, don’t serve drinks or food on shorter flights/rides, don’t sell every seat to reduce crowding, shower and change clothes upon arrival...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back