What's new

The Coffee House

(no typo's above ;))

Finished with SIL's place! Only thing left is to take some photos (Saturday) for the realtor friend to list it for sale.

Now the bigger project - the other house. I'm meeting with my cousin at the Probate office tomorrow so she can have them make me executor and her as co-executor. She's had a lot of back-and-forth with the County folks so me being officially involved makes a lot of sense (she's in White Plains, NY).
 
Hey hosers. I haven't been around much the past week or so. Lots of fires to put out at work and just feeling run down.

It took us months to clear out my mother's house to get it ready to sell in Sept. I had already burned out any potential pack rat tendencies of my own during my 20s and 30s because I moved so many damned times. Any remaining inclination towards saving thing, even for sentimental reasons, got burnt to ashes by moving myself in late 2020, then clearing out my mother's house through most of 2021.

I am still going through boxes I brought with me and dumping most of it. Getting my next few bags of clothing ready for donation. Marie Kondo would be very proud 🤣
 
And another step taken; well two but different subjects.

I went to the probate office with my cousin this morning and filled out the paperwork to open the estate. We decided that she would remain executor to maintain a single point of contact. I'll do whatever local work needs to be done while she handles the paperwork.

I've been looking to getting into doing some portraiture and have been occasionally looking at monolight strobes. My thought has been to pick up an inexpensive two-light set, like the Flashpoint M series or , at most, a pair of Alien Bees. When lazy-lobster moved back to ME, I sold them my speedlight so I haven't had one for a while. Yesterday I took the plunge into the shallow rnd of the pool and ordered a basic Strobist kit - flash, stand, umbrella, and trigger. Once I see how I do with the single OC Flash, I'll consider getting a second kit, with a possible upgrade to AB strobes later.
 
Oh, yeah, a work related thing. My contract ends on June 30. We know the County is putting together a Request For Bid so another six-months or year extension is not likely. The last time, as is normal, the incoming company will get resumes from everyone on the contract and negotiate salaries with those that are interested in staying. We sign an agreement to stay for a minimum amount of time and come in the next work day with a new employer.

But, if the new company already has staff (GIS in my situation) that can be readily moved into this contract or elect to hire new, they may do so and replace existing personnel. It could suck for us, but that's how the game is played.

As it happens, one of my co-workers decided to take a trek across country to southern California and took a position with one of the water authorities leaving an opening. Five applicants were selected to interview but only two were able to be contacted, and neither of them had the Python experience the boss needs. The position was re-announced yesterday.

As I would no longer need to concern myself with contracts and the advertised minimum salary is about a 60% increase from what I currently make, I've decided to apply. No idea if I will get it, but I definitely have the Python experience. It would make no change to my current pension, leave is about the same, and I would potentially get a cube with a window.
 
One more, hosers. If ANYONE is interested in some free cookbooks, let me know. There are a bunch at the other house, mostly the "Taste of Home" series. You might have to pay shipping, or, depending on where you are, we could meet/I'll deliver.

Seriously - there are boxes of them. We won't use them and there aren't enough donation bins in the area.
 
One more, hosers. If ANYONE is interested in some free cookbooks, let me know. There are a bunch at the other house, mostly the "Taste of Home" series. You might have to pay shipping, or, depending on where you are, we could meet/I'll deliver.

Seriously - there are boxes of them. We won't use them and there aren't enough donation bins in the area.
About 5 years ago I got rid of a bunch of cookbooks and a mountain of food magazines. Spent hours over a few weeks weeding thru it all and made 3 notebooks. One for meats, veggies, and desserts with dividers. Put in the books only recipes that I liked from all those books and magazines. I have 3 recipe boxes that were mine, my MIL and my Mom's. Put the special recipes in the binders. I did keep the 3 card boxes. Now if I see a recipe online I will print and put in the binder only after I make it and we like it. Before I kept way too much. It is so easy and organized now. It was a pain those weeks going thru it all. I did keep about 6 cookbooks. One is from my Mom when she took home-ec back in the 40's.

CookbooksSMw.webp
 
One more, hosers. If ANYONE is interested in some free cookbooks, let me know. There are a bunch at the other house, mostly the "Taste of Home" series. You might have to pay shipping, or, depending on where you are, we could meet/I'll deliver.

Seriously - there are boxes of them. We won't use them and there aren't enough donation bins in the area.
Ha! I'll see your cookbooks and raise you a working, 1940's-era hand mixer. It actually looks kinda badass. ;)

20220310_175521.webp
 
Know your pain ... clearing up dads stuff for mum 5 skips and a lorry (rip off) later we are still sorting
mum has decided to clear some of her stuff now so that we( the kids) dont have the same problems later when she goes.

Dejunking here too! We have 8 bags of clothing, coats and bedding getting picked up this month. The charity picks up from your porch which makes it easier to get rid of things.

After cleaning out both moms' homes it teaches a lessen to dejunk now and not later. A relative recently moved from a 3 bed 2 story home they lived in for 50 years to a 2 bed duplex. I tried to help unpack, but they have way too much stuff. Their adult children will have to deal with it. If they will part with things. The good thing is that it drove home to my husband that we have to dejunk our stuff now.

We did a major clean out a few years ago when we converted our garage (which was 100% storage) to a suite for my mom. With the apartment in the basement taking up all but the boiler room, all my storage now is attic or shed. This forces me to be ruthless about keeping anything that doesn’t have sentimental value. Of course I have boxes of Princess’s papers and artwork from school...

My rule for clothes and household items is one in one out.


Oh, yeah, a work related thing. My contract ends on June 30. We know the County is putting together a Request For Bid so another six-months or year extension is not likely. The last time, as is normal, the incoming company will get resumes from everyone on the contract and negotiate salaries with those that are interested in staying. We sign an agreement to stay for a minimum amount of time and come in the next work day with a new employer.

But, if the new company already has staff (GIS in my situation) that can be readily moved into this contract or elect to hire new, they may do so and replace existing personnel. It could suck for us, but that's how the game is played.

As it happens, one of my co-workers decided to take a trek across country to southern California and took a position with one of the water authorities leaving an opening. Five applicants were selected to interview but only two were able to be contacted, and neither of them had the Python experience the boss needs. The position was re-announced yesterday.

As I would no longer need to concern myself with contracts and the advertised minimum salary is about a 60% increase from what I currently make, I've decided to apply. No idea if I will get it, but I definitely have the Python experience. It would make no change to my current pension, leave is about the same, and I would potentially get a cube with a window.

Wow sounds perfect and great timing for you! Good luck.

About 5 years ago I got rid of a bunch of cookbooks and a mountain of food magazines. Spent hours over a few weeks weeding thru it all and made 3 notebooks. One for meats, veggies, and desserts with dividers. Put in the books only recipes that I liked from all those books and magazines. I have 3 recipe boxes that were mine, my MIL and my Mom's. Put the special recipes in the binders. I did keep the 3 card boxes. Now if I see a recipe online I will print and put in the binder only after I make it and we like it. Before I kept way too much. It is so easy and organized now. It was a pain those weeks going thru it all. I did keep about 6 cookbooks. One is from my Mom when she took home-ec back in the 40's.

View attachment 254462
Look at you so organized! I scanned and digitized all my recipes and cookbook favorites last year and put them in the cloud so I have access from iPhone, iPad or laptop. There’s not that many that I don’t know by heart so finding what I’m looking for among the rest is easy.
 
Cheryl and Sharon: A few years ago, MLW transcribed some of her mom's recipes and mad a spiral bound book. She gave copies to the nieces. We'll go through my mom's recipe boxes and maybe do the same thing. We'll pass any of the older cookbooks along to the kids, if they want them. We've gotten rid of a lot of the ones we had and didn't really use.

Thanks, Sharon. We'll see how it goes on the job and contract.

Terri: I have MIL's mixer, here. It may be a little newer than that one. I'll get a shot an post it sometime this weekend.

We are experiencing typical DC weather. I had the top panels off of the Jeep last weekend (though we were wearing sweatshirts) and tomorrow there's a slight chance of snow.
 
We got a really pretty 1-2 inches of snowfall overnight on Wednesday. The kind that sticks to the trees and looks magical. I wanted to get out and shoot it yesterday morning but couldn’t get away. It was all melted away by mid day.
 
Ha! I'll see your cookbooks and raise you a working, 1940's-era hand mixer. It actually looks kinda badass. ;)

View attachment 254486

Now that is an old mixer! We have a 1960's avocado green blender. Thought it quit last month, but got it working. It was my MIL's. My Dad gave me his old drill decades ago because he was tired of me borrowing his tools. This drill must be from the 30s or 40s. It is heavy and built like a tank. Works much better than the newer plastic ones.
 
This drill must be from the 30s or 40s. It is heavy and built like a tank. Works much better than the newer plastic ones.
I hear you! I kid my mom for hanging on to some of this stuff, but there's no question that these are usually very well built items, be they cookware/kitchen gadgets or tools. They harken back to the days when "planned obsolescence" wasn't a thing. ;)

It makes me think of my older cameras, and how wonderful it feels to get good shots from them.
 
We got a really pretty 1-2 inches of snowfall overnight on Wednesday. The kind that sticks to the trees and looks magical. I wanted to get out and shoot it yesterday morning but couldn’t get away. It was all melted away by mid day.

Same here. It was gorgeous on Thursday morning. This was my back yard when I woke up. I made sure I at least got a few cell snaps because it wouldn't last more than an hour or two.

1647054788920.webp
 
Good morning hosers. It's 46°, raining, and a gale warning is in place, but supposed to get cold and switch over to snow in some areas. Slinky (the truck) did very well in the last snow that I hardly used four-wheel drive, but I avoid driving on ice. I think, instead of going to the other house today, we're going to stay here and do some cooking (chili and beef stew for starters). My Strobist kit arrives sometime today so I guess I can play with that.

Zoe went to the vet for a wellness visit yesterday morning. She was not very happy when we put her in the carrier. When MLW picker her up, the vet said how good she was during the exam. She was putting when they did the blood draw. Of course she wasn't happy coming home until she was out of the carrier. I guess we should have taken her for weekly rides when she was a kitten, to help get her used to it.
 
Last edited:
Same here. It was gorgeous on Thursday morning. This was my back yard when I woke up. I made sure I at least got a few cell snaps because it wouldn't last more than an hour or two.

View attachment 254508
Beautiful backyard, Leo. I'm sure you had pretty scenes like this in mind when you bought the place. :) Very cozy inside.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom