What's new

The Coffee House

EIGHT-OH-TWO!
:clap: :bouncingsmileys: :clap:
 
OMG getting serious. We're served by Alabama Power, which surprisingly has been stable primarily because they own their generation facilities. At our lake house, the power is through a local Co-op that like other small independent electric companies, buys their power from TVA. Throughout TN and northern AL, TVA is reporting an emergency overload on the grid, necessitating rolling blackouts to manage the overload. Further north communities served by Ameren are experiencing power outages caused by ice and wind. Many of them have been without power for over 24 hrs. With temperatures down to -10 even once the power comes on there's been ruptured water lines in houses everywhere.

All it takes is one little incident to make you realize just how fragile our infrastructure really is.
 
We're good, though I suspect there will be some power problems. It was 16 degrees when I got home, yesterday.

Speaking of power, the electricians came in yesterday and put in the new panel and bumped up all of the circuits, doubling capacity on most. I have to go get another kitchen-friendly butane torch for making SIL the promised creme brulee. Our little torch has gotten lost in the move and MLW won't let me use the Bernzomatic I have in the shop.
 
OMG getting serious. We're served by Alabama Power, which surprisingly has been stable primarily because they own their generation facilities. At our lake house, the power is through a local Co-op that like other small independent electric companies, buys their power from TVA. Throughout TN and northern AL, TVA is reporting an emergency overload on the grid, necessitating rolling blackouts to manage the overload. Further north communities served by Ameren are experiencing power outages caused by ice and wind. Many of them have been without power for over 24 hrs. With temperatures down to -10 even once the power comes on there's been ruptured water lines in houses everywhere.

All it takes is one little incident to make you realize just how fragile our infrastructure really is.
The last few days with the minus temps, I've said many times that things could be worse with no power. Very thankful. About 20 years ago we lost power for 5 days with cold snow weather. Spent one night in a local hotel and then borrowed a generator for the other nights.
 
The grands are coming over tomorrow. To spice things up after the gift opening I made a clue type game. First they have to find the pickle ornament on the tree and from there clues to find more things around the house.
 
I just pulled the crème brûlée out if the oven. It should be cooled enough by dinner, then we get to torch it. It is SIL Ada’s favorite dessert.

C398222B-E521-42AF-ABF8-E7CC8C222AAC.webp
 
Thank you. The recipe made nine of them so we had one for an appetizer. A couple small lumps (run scalded cream through strainer next time) but taste was spot on. I’m very happy with the results!
 
Happy Holiday, hosers!
 
-4 here this morning with windchill of -27. Should get up to a high of 7 today. The pups don't waste time going outside. They are cold even with coats.
Reminded me of that joke where the car won’t start and the driver tells the AAA guy there’s a warning light on the dash of a person sitting on the toilet. -4°

The grands are coming over tomorrow. To spice things up after the gift opening I made a clue type game. First they have to find the pickle ornament on the tree and from there clues to find more things around the house.

So that pickle ornament search is really a thing? Someone gave us one and we had never heard of it and we really gave her a hard time about it lol. Lots of pickle jokes all day. She was really in a pickle!
 
Back to Dr, round 3 for December. Another round of antibiotics. I've been on meds in one form or another the whole month of Dec.😒
 
Reminded me of that joke where the car won’t start and the driver tells the AAA guy there’s a warning light on the dash of a person sitting on the toilet. -4°

The grands are coming over tomorrow. To spice things up after the gift opening I made a clue type game. First they have to find the pickle ornament on the tree and from there clues to find more things around the house.

So that pickle ornament search is really a thing? Someone gave us one and we had never heard of it and we really gave her a hard time about it lol. Lots of pickle jokes all day. She was really in a pickle!
I'd never heard of it, either! And here I was thinking how original Cheryl was being for the kids - so, a pickle ornament search is a thing? :icon_scratch:
 
Back to Dr, round 3 for December. Another round of antibiotics. I've been on meds in one form or another the whole month of Dec.😒
Ugh. Sorry, Smoke! Crappy way to end the year. :(
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom