The Coffee House

Gary has wasps, Yellowjackets. He knocks down their nest with a broom and they go away. Gary has never been stung by a wasp.

Guineas make yellow jackets look like wusses.

Hey, thanks for the reminder! I have to break the Geneva convention and do a pre-emptive chemical strike on a wasp nest under some siding on the house. Its 10:30 pm, hopefully I'll catch those buggers off guard!

Of course had to be mindful of natures own walking chemical defence sites...had a couple skunks getting a drink from the garden pond.

We have yellow jackets every summer and when we get rid of the nest they just come back to a new spot the next year. I've been stung about a dozen times over the years and it never really bothered me. More stings on the golf course than in the garden. In the garden they have other things to occupy their attention.

Crazy colorful sky over the field tonight. It went from this:

IMG_3774.JPG

To this:
IMG_3788.JPG

All I had with me was my iPhone. It was gorgeous out there. The field is right on the water so there was a nice breeze and we got treated to a real show during the game.

Mary Star of the Sea High School in San Pedro, has a ballpark on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific. Every home run hit to Right Field, will literally, land in the ocean. Center and left requires that the batter gets all the ball in order to hit the ocean.

Fog-1-UE-X2.jpg

The view from right field.

Last edited:
That is one freaky fog bank.
In summer, it is nearly a daily occurrence. The five o'clock fog we call it. It doesn't go very far inland, maybe a few hundred yards, but the temps will drop to the upper 50's. You'd love it. Imagine bundling up in sweaters every summer evening.

_1090407.jpg

Another view from right field.

Last edited:
Wasps are the a$$holes of the insect world.

I disagree. There are only very few aggressive wasps here. But the horse flies are really there for your blood and go for it. If you want to assign the a*hole go for them!

Wasps are the a$$holes of the insect world.

I disagree. There are only very few aggressive wasps here. But the horse flies are really there for your blood and go for it. If you want to assign the a*hole go for them!

Yes, horse flies are assholes, too, (and also less common in some parts) but perhaps you just haven't been around the more aggressive American wasps enough to know just how much more asshole-ish they can be. And really, who says only one insect can take the title. No need to limit it to just one. Asshole is very generous - it can be given to as many insects as you want ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back