The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

What if we wanted revolutionary and they simply failed to deliver?

But it did indeed give revolutionary... For me.

Let's be clear, if you live at the the longer end of focal lengths this will offer you nothing. If you're a sports photographer then the rugged build, AF capabilities and lens design of a top DSLR such as a D5 is far better and won't be bettered by ML for a little while yet. If you shoot BIF then there is little better than the D850, this won't change overnight. And again we can only realistically assume it will be equaled because the current D850 is the current pinnacle of development...
If you're an event or wedding photographer then you will have a current set up that delivers results. Change for change's sake makes no sense, especially as it's extra investment for little change in output, (assuming you still use your current lenses), but a change in working practices. I would think that this will bring more uncertainty to your results than the lack of a second card slot.
If you're driven by the technology and seek the revolution in the numbers and specifications, then this will offer you nothing other than to kid yourself that you own a slice at the forefront of creative photography simply because you bought one.

But for me: Who is not at all interested in what the camera can do but what I can do. Who is not interested in technology or the layers of automation that ensure that you always capture something as close to the reference *ultimate* of the cameras capability, in fact I switch most of it off and don't even own an AF lens. Who is interested in the images rather than the camera...

Then this is revolutionary because it addresses what I see as the compromises of basic SLR design. Why I still use my PC55/3.5 and PC 105/2.5 despite their shortcomings compared to modern lenses. Yes modern lenses have noticeably more resolution and better coatings, but the search for this and to satisfy the consumer with numbers the need for faster lenses also exposes the flaws in the system, (not micro-b-b-bubbles and other 3D pop nonsense ;)). My one concession is a Milvus 35/2 because the legacy MF wide angles are universally quite poor, but it still shows the traits and flaws of SLR lens design that have stopped my investing thousands. I don't need to invest, so I'd rather stick with and work around the levels of flare than the distortion.

For the first time I'm interested in a new camera, the Z7. It does so much of what I want and addresses the issues I have with DSLRs while still keeping the core concepts and ethos as to why I think the 35mm format is so compelling and unique.

This is as well as stop down metering without the darkening in the viewfinder and the promise of more useful manual focussing aids...

To me this is my revolution, I'm both too excited and too poor at the moment. But I want one and hopefully will get it in the not too distant future. :):):):)

Last edited:
One thought occurs to me. Possibly, this mirrorless pair of Z7 and then Z6, is designed simply to stem the tide of what Thom Hogan calls "switchers". With the apparently well-designed ZTF adapter, users can plop on over 360 Nikkor lens models and have full compatibility. With the adapter, another large number of both screw-driven AF models, and even more manual focus models lens models, can be used.

With Sony's Full Frame camera sales numbers recently taking the number one position in some markets, bettering both Canon and Nikon in both unit sales and dollar amounts earned, maybe Nikon thinks that having a very viable mirrorless camera pair can derail Sony's train a little bit.

With Nikon's long history of F-mount cameras, Nikon users can shoot film, digital-SLR both APS-C and FX,and mirrorless full-frame (FX), all using F-mount lenses. If the Z-mount mirrorless system really takes off, sales for other brands will likely be impacted very much. The market for cameras doesn't seem to be expanding, so, any way to get sales, while denying sales opportunities for competing companies, seems like a long-term survival strategy.

One thought occurs to me. Possibly, this mirrorless pair of Z7 and then Z6, is designed simply to stem the tide of what Thom Hogan calls "switchers". With the apparently well-designed ZTF adapter, users can plop on over 360 Nikkor lens models and have full compatibility. With the adapter, another large number of both screw-driven AF models, and even more manual focus models lens models, can be used.

With Sony's Full Frame camera sales numbers recently taking the number one position in some markets, bettering both Canon and Nikon in both unit sales and dollar amounts earned, maybe Nikon thinks that having a very viable mirrorless camera pair can derail Sony's train a little bit.

With Nikon's long history of F-mount cameras, Nikon users can shoot film, digital-SLR both APS-C and FX,and mirrorless full-frame (FX), all using F-mount lenses. If the Z-mount mirrorless system really takes off, sales for other brands will likely be impacted very much. The market for cameras doesn't seem to be expanding, so, any way to get sales, while denying sales opportunities for competing companies, seems like a long-term survival strategy.
I think this is precisely the goal of these cameras: to minimize the Switchers. I think that this was my frustration: they seem to be cameras that are designed strategically rather than photographically. The sense I get is that they aren’t supposed to be the best cameras that Nikon can make: they’re supposed to be the least mirrorless camera they can put out and yet still keep their base. (“Least” is unfair but my point is that this camera is not the best they could do).

It is shrewd, and it will probably work – but it is frustrating for a “true believer“ like me. I want Nikon to make the finest cameras on the planet, and that means mirrorless in 2018. I get the sense that Nikon still really wants us to buy the D850, and is putting out the Z7 just to shut up the mirror less chirping.

OTOH, I suppose if they craft a “D850 killer” and it fails to perform correctly then they are in a dire situation (again, the D850 is such a new camera I am certain that they don’t want to kill it). In that scenario, the mirrorless camera is marketed as being better than that D850 and yet it doesn’t work correctly. Sales for both products would tank. So perhaps these cameras are semi-prototype to be sure they can pull this mirrorless thing off?

Last edited:

I think this is precisely the goal of these cameras: to minimize the Switchers. I think that this was my frustration: they seem to be cameras that are designed strategically rather than photographically. They aren’t supposed to be the best cameras that Nikon can make: they’re supposed to be the least mirrorless camera they can put out and yet still keep their base. (“Least” is unfair but my point is that this camera is not the best they could do).

It is shrewd, and it will probably work – but it is frustrating for a “true believer“ like me. I want Nikon to make the finest cameras on the planet, and that means mirrorless in 2018. I get the sense that Nikon still really wants us to buy the D850, and is putting out the Z7 just to shut up the mirror less chirping.

Free-floating brand loyalties seem part of the current consumer gestalt. But I'd still argue that memories of Nikon's QC issues and bumbling CRM put off many of the faithful. Not so sanguine as others about Nikon's ability to sell these products without some heavy holiday promo discounting.

I'd love to pick up a z6 body if I knew if had the tech/software features of the Sonys.

I’ve been shooting digital for 11 years. I have had 1 sd card fail. I believe it was a Sony. Using the available software download, I was able to recover some of the photos but most were lost. As I’m not a pro, there was no client who I had to tell the bad news to, only me, disappointed that I had lost most of the photos that I took of my daughter cheerleading at her first football game.

Many “pros” these days use prosumer level cameras. My definition of pro in this case would be anyone who is shooting client events or portraits and charging for their work. For those people, I would think having the backup slot is an important feature.

Personally, with the Fuji, I like to use the two slots to shoot 1 raw 1 jpeg. I mostly use the jpegs but I like the security of knowing I have the raw files in case I need to make exposure or white balance edits.

to me it's more about storage space -- i've never once used my 2nd slot as a backup, only spillover. I could however see it being useful for jpg storage depending on the shoot; but i would never storage them otherwise, only for quick sharing/

With my d800, I can fill a 32gb card up in ~400 shots.

The price for qxd cards is quite staggering x4 the cost of an SD.

to me it's more about storage space -- i've never once used my 2nd slot as a backup, only spillover. I could however see it being useful for jpg storage depending on the shoot; but i would never storage them otherwise, only for quick sharing/

Very “spendy” indeed!

Dude, 32GB? Come on. :) You paid how much for that camera and lenses and you can’t pony up for something bigger?

Also, do you honestly need the qxd? I mean, if you do then I understand but I think there’s so few of us that really need a 10 shot burst (or whatever it is that a much cheaper 100MB/s SD card will start buffering for).

I guess 32GB does force you to upload the pix to your computer more often. Which is a bit more security if the card does fail.

Now for the op’s question. I will not be buying one simply because I’m 100% happy with my Sony a7ii. I agree with most of what’s been shared about it not being an upgrade from what most people have. I think most people on a forum like this already are happy with what they shoot and it’s probably not a matter of ditching what you already have for it. Think about this though, if your camera bag got stolen, would you replace it with exactly what you had again? Or would you at least give it a test drive in the camera store?

I don’t think Nikon wants you to start selling off your d800’s to go out and buy a z7, but if they can convince someone already in the market for a new camera to give one a try (especially, as mentioned before, if it takes the sale away from a Sony) then I think it’s a respectable move in a shrinking industry.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Tough to say who will buy the Z6-Z7. I currently have a D750 and a D7500 as well as a Sony A6000. I am curious about a Z6 but, I doubt it will take any better pictures than my D750.

Certain to pass. Too many fails in my book.. Sticking with my D810 and D500 for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Dude, 32GB? Come on. :) You paid how much for that camera and lenses and you can’t pony up for something bigger?

Also, do you honestly need the qxd? I mean, if you do then I understand but I think there’s so few of us that really need a 10 shot burst (or whatever it is that a much cheaper 100MB/s SD card will start buffering for).

I guess 32GB does force you to upload the pix to your computer more often. Which is a bit more security if the card does fail.

I've had those cards for my D610 -- which could fit about ~650 images each, giving my about ~1300 images before changing. I have (6).

Since I purchased a D800--used so as not to pony-up, mind you--I had to buy a CF card for it to even utilize the dual-cards. CF cards are also more expensive than SD cards, despite being older tech. A 32gb extremePro CF is $50, where a 32gb extremePro SD is $20.

And yes, you honestly need the QXD -- because that's the only card slot these new cameras offer...:icon_crazy: If I bought a z6, I'd want a 64GB QXD which add a good $220 to the purchase price, plus the cost of the F to Z adapter...

I upload images after every shoot, so the requirement doesn't change -- just the amount of cards you must change during the shoot.

The D750 is only one year old. Maybe in nine years, or so (how long I had the D40).

OP is now edited to add this link: Nikon strikes back at Sony with first full-frame mirrorless cameras

I would have preferred 2 card slots, and it appears that the adapter may cost extra (?), which would be disappointing. Other than that, the Z6 looks just about spot-on perfect if it performs according to the published specs.
Really impressed, so far.

I wouldn't believe all of what that spin doctors says. He clearly states that both the d850 and d750 are weather sealed and goes on to mention snow and such, but I was specifically told by a nikon chat agent in the UK that my D750 was not weather sealed/ drizzle proof.

Most reactions

Back