The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

Nikon Z6 and Z7 - New Nikon Z Series Mirrorless Cameras
upload_2018-8-23_15-58-4.png

being able to get any VR out of your older non-VR lenses is a nice little feature.

N0w that we have prices, and can match them up to existing D750 and 850, the Z6 is one that I could afford, but only with a cash back or sale.
So in reality, a D750 (on sale) or used D810 is what is in the cards for me.

being able to get any VR out of your older non-VR lenses is a nice little feature.

I put my 500 f/8 mirror on my Olympus E-M1, and was surprised at how much the IBIS stabilized the lens.
I could actually aim the lens without it shaking all over the place.
A 500mm lens on a m4/3 camera is 20x magnification, or like handholding a 1,000mm lens on your FF camera.

Ok, I am trying to wrap my brain around this new Nikon mirrorless ... is it that much better than what they currently have in their DSLR line ?
As a Sony user, I have been bombarded by info (Sony people tend to be very defensive) ... but I am not sure what real advantage Nikon users would get out of this ... am I missing something ?

Ok, I am trying to wrap my brain around this new Nikon mirrorless ... is it that much better than what they currently have in their DSLR line ?
As a Sony user, I have been bombarded by info (Sony people tend to be very defensive) ... but I am not sure what real advantage Nikon users would get out of this ... am I missing something ?

Smaller form factor/lighter body

In body image stabilization.

EVF.

Focus Peaking - easier to use old MF lenses

I liked the pictures dPreview posted in their first look. Looks good at high ISO under dark/night conditions. The 24-70mm f/4 S-series lens is very compact; dPreview mentioned it was "collapsible"...but I did not see any details regarding that, but again, the 24-70mm f/4 S-series lens is VERY compact,especially compared against the massive 24-70 f/2.8 model for F-mount bodies.

The upcoming 14mm-30mm f/4 S-series lens looked impressive in their photo. Wow...14mm to 30mm in one zoom lens! Those are basically ALL of the wide-angle focal lengths of the past 40 years! From 14mm ultra-wide, to 16mm and 17mm, to 20 and 21mm, and 24mm,25mm, and 28mm, the zoom has eight of the traditional single focal length wide-angle options in it, plus 30mm. Nice!

The dPreview article mentioned that the Z7's viewfinder is so bright and clear that after using it for a few hours, the reviewer found it kind of difficult to go back to the D850's viewfinder. High praise for the eye-level viewfinder system of the Z7.

Although it's early, as in Day One for this newly-announced Z7 model, it appears that Nikon has managed to design a pretty good camera. One card slot? That used to be the norm...the last pro camera I bought with a single card slot was the $5,000 D2x, in May of 2005. I've not had a solid-state memory card fail since 2001. I do not see the single XQD card slot as a deal-breaker, but I'm actually much more-disappointed to see the card format be XQD and not SD. Buuuut...for a camera with 45MP and 9FPS, plus high-definition video, XQD is a very,very fast-writing memory card format.

Looks like Nikon managed to get this camera pretty well-sorted. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. The price ($250 adapter only, or $250 less a $100 rebate with camera purchase initially),and features, of the FTZ F-mount to Z-mount lens adapter, pretty surprising.

EVF.

You just listed 2 of the biggest turn offs for me.. smaller /lighter body and EVF. IBIS would be great with my pre VR 300 F2.8 though. Focus peaking, meh...

I hope everyone falls in love with the Z7 though and used D850s start showing up for 2k, then I would be a huge fan of mirrorless...

EVF.

You just listed 2 of the biggest turn offs for me.. smaller /lighter body and EVF. IBIS would be great with my pre VR 300 F2.8 though. Focus peaking, meh...

I hope everyone falls in love with the Z7 though and used D850s start showing up for 2k, then I would be a huge fan of mirrorless...

I thought I would absolutely hate the EVF.. and for what you shoot I would hate it. The lag would make fast action extremely difficult.

But the EVF is incredible for slower paced shooting. I love the WSIYWYG concept, and being able to review images inside the viewfinder is amazing.

I agree that smaller and lighter isn’t ideal for your type of shooting. But for someone like me who is starting to get into backpacking into remote areas for landscape photos, the Z7 is tempting because it saves some weight and space in my pack compared to my D810, but retains the image quality.

EVF have pros and cons.
Pro
  • You can see what the final exposure will be BEFORE you press the shutter. This is very helpful in difficult lighting.
    • With my dslr, I have to correct AFTER the shot and do a 2nd shot, and hope that I corrected enough, or I have to repeat the correct and shoot cycle until I get a good pix.
  • It has an almost "night vision" option (on my EM1) where you can boost the illumination and almost see in the dark.
    • Not useful to all, but might be to some.
    • I shot flash in a dim room back in the film days, where I could barely see the subject. Because it was so dark, focus was hit or miss.
    • No optical viewfinder can compete with light enhanced EVF, when shooting in dim/dark conditions.
Con
  • If you use a flash, you may have to reconfigure the EVF.
  • If the refresh rate is not high enough, there is visual lag in the EVF, which makes action shooting difficult.
    • The refresh rate is configurable on the EM1. It can be raised, but at the cost of additional battery drain.
  • One more thing draining the battery.

Those z mount lenses look cheap as heck. That is a big turn off to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back