The very FIRST thing you need to think about...

There are bad books, videos, websites, guides, workshops, teachers, mentors etc...

If you focus on the bad that's all you'll ever see and it might mean that you overlook resources that are worth your time.

The internet is a vast and fantastic resource if you use it right. I find that its good for networking and also for tutorials on theory on niche areas. For a more complete picture books and teachers tend to be better as they present a series of theories and concepts strung together to get an end result; whilst this is present online its less so and more focuses upon refinement or alternative methods within the overall process and workflow.

I will also say that yes you can self learn a lot - BUT - self learning is a skill unto itself. IT is a skill not everyone has and learning a hobby or skill is hard if the method by which you learn (self learning) is also one that you have to learn at the same time. It doubles the learning requirements and is hard because a lot of self learning falls into the pitfall of "You don't know what it is that you don't know" thus its very easy to overlook things simple because you don't know they exist or because mentions of them are underplayed in early resources you visit/find.

A good teacher can take you further; nearly always. Especially because they can correct many issues at the time before you hit the shutter; they can help you not learn bad habits before you learn them and then have to unlearn them to progress.

Of course there are those who have learned things in almost total isolation and have done fantastic things; they are even more a rarity - yes its possible, but no not everyone will be able to do it as they might not have the skills to achieve that end result. That's no failing of a person just like not being able to self learn is a failing; itsj ust how we are all different.
I agree that not everyone knows how to learn or even understands how and when the brain creates new synapses allowing new learning to take place.
You must first learn how to learn.

Mark Twain was not only a great writer and humorist, he was a great student of people and human nature. I won't try to express what he expressed so well.
self-taught-man.jpg

I was speaking for myself, not the world. :)
Stay away from youtube, it's an idiot's playground. lol
Oh.
I must have gotten confused when you used the word,"we" in your prior post.

The we was referring to mankind's thirst for knowledge, expressed by me an individual. Wow. Lol

Can I have a cup of Kopi Luwak?

I was speaking for myself, not the world. :)
Stay away from youtube, it's an idiot's playground. lol
Creative Live is pretty good if you have the patience. Lynda is also pretty useful. I would rather see photos with soul and creativity than just another horrid cliche.

Can I have a cup of Kopi Luwak?

Sure, but you'll have to pay for your own cat pee....cause that ain't coffee! ;)
Civet Cats aren't actually cats and they smell eerily nice. A civet cat smells vaguely like vanilla and screw pine.

Classes are very useful to learn more complicated technical stuff, you can be challenged in school but you can't really learn creativity.

I've been dating a professional photographer for 8 years now. She's been a great resource in terms of intelligent critique and assisting me when I am stuck.

Civet Cats aren't actually cats and they smell eerily nice. A civet cat smells vaguely like vanilla and screw pine.

Which, curiously enough, still does not convince me that I would want to filter hot water through their excrement and then consume it. Just one man's humble opinion of course. :)

Which, curiously enough, still does not convince me that I would want to filter hot water through their excrement and then consume it. Just one man's humble opinion of course. :)
Silly gorilla, you wash the coffee beans from the poop first.

I honestly fail to see any connection with drinking something brewed from something covered with civet cat crap and photography. Chu start a new thread somewhere , but lets try to salvage what is left of this thread which was meant for beginner photographers and not scatological quality comparisons.

Again, could just be me, but the last thing I want to think about when I grab a cup of coffee is: "Wow, I hope the guy who washes the poop off the beans wasn't having an off day"

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Again, could just be me, but the last thing I want to think about when I grab a cup of coffee is: "Wow, I hope the guy who washes the poop off the beans wasn't having an off day"

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk
Then think about the laborers in Brazil and Columbia taking a quick squat in the fields to relieve themselves, wiping with the first 2 fingers of their right hand and going back to picking.
Would you like a refill?

Most reactions

Back