Then, than and who knows?

"Reference" is a noun. "Refer" is the verb. You refer to a reference.

The one that really makes my skin crawl is this new way some people use "anymore". As in: He does that anymore. WHAT?
He doesn't do that anymore.
or
Does he do that anymore?
but it's just
He does that.
If you can't add "or any less" after the anymore or replace it with "any longer", it doesn't belong. :crazy:

And, whilst we are on the subject:

Canon is a camera manufacturer, Cannon is a large artillery gun.

Also something that isn't that annoying but is still wrong is where you hear politicians saying:

"The government are doing a terrible job."

It's "The government is doing a terrible job"

.....I'm obsessed.

I tend to keep my english as correct as possible. (emphasis on 'tend')
In Dutch we also have that 'then/than' sort of thing, only then with the words as -'als' in dutch- and then -'dan' in dutch-. You know, as in:

higher than ..
same hight as ..

In dutch, you can get the two mixed up real easy. And I always find myself correcting people when they do this. I know some people hate me for it.. but I just can't help it.

Secretly, I kind of like grammar :)

Oh, oh. Permisson to make one more shout out?: I hate those BrEEzeR people! - if that's what it's called anyway..

*edit: haha, spelling error :blushing:

Daniel said:
Also something that isn't that annoying but is still wrong is where you hear politicians saying:

"The government are doing a terrible job."

It's "The government is doing a terrible job"

.....I'm obsessed.
I believe that's a regional thing. In some places "government" is treated as an entity, in others it's a group of poeple. The same applies to corporations and such. Microsoft might be an "it" or a "they", depending on where you are.

hobbes28 said:
I'm Southern... 'nuff said. :D

Preach on my southern cuzin!

(ya'll got Alison usin' southern-speak yet up yonder where ya'lls at?)

:biglaugh: Oh GAWD not another one of THESE threads! :lol: Here's one thing we should all accept (though I'm sure I'll end up in the future doing some similar thread to this one, so meh)

...we are ALL going to do SOMETHING that annoys SOMEONE! ALL OF US! Haha. :p

nothing but nothing bothers me about the way people speak or type...

everyone is different and i dont get riled over it...

aprilraven said:
nothing but nothing bothers me about the way people speak or type...

everyone is different and i dont get riled over it...

I have to disagree. I know where you're coming from but when it comes to language there are certain conventions that should be upheld. People use excuses like the language is evolving. Sloppy English is not evolution. It's devolution into different areas where they make up their own English.

Most reactions

Back