Then, than and who knows?

I don't get bothered with mistakes in forums, regular discussion, etc. The only time I have a problem with grammatical errors is in "business." I hate reading memos, forms, signs or contracts with misspellings. It shows non-professionalism in my eyes.

As for normal life, I was raised in the south too. As long as the idea gets across, who cares how it's spelt or sayd! :lol:

Calliope said:
I don't get bothered with mistakes in forums, regular discussion, etc. The only time I have a problem with grammatical errors is in "business." I hate reading memos, forms, signs or contracts with misspellings. It shows non-professionalism in my eyes.

As for normal life, I was raised in the south too. As long as the idea gets across, who cares how it's spelt or sayd! :lol:

:lol: ...

where'd you get raised, Mistress?

Calliope said:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

i agree, y'all go ahead and put those apostrophes wherever you like, take shortcuts, use the wrong words, and misspell to your heart's content on here (i know i do!), but in the business world please make an effort to get it right... i walked into walmart one day and there was a huge sign right as you walked in the door "HUGE Clearence Sale"... i complained to the Assistant Manager and told her to take it down... she said "why, what's wrong with it?" I hate walmart... if i wasn't so cheap i would never go in there... :mrgreen:

JTHphoto said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

i agree, y'all go ahead and put those apostrophes wherever you like, take shortcuts, use the wrong words, and misspell to your heart's content on here (i know i do!), but in the business world please make an effort to get it right... i walked into walmart one day and there was a huge sign right as you walked in the door "HUGE Clearence Sale"... i complained to the Assistant Manager and told her to take it down... she said "why, what's wrong with it?" I hate walmart... if i wasn't so cheap i would never go in there... :mrgreen:

:biglaugh: :er: :biglaugh:

When I was in the corporate world I would receive resumes and applications for positions in the computer department. If they had spelling and grammar errors they would go right into the trash. I agree - no place in the business world for that.
I really ****ed off my son's 2nd grade teacher. He brought home a letter from her explaining the school year, what she expected, what supplies he would need, and how parents could be of help to her. I circled all the spelling and grammar errors in red ink and sent it back to her.:lol:
On these forums, e-mails, and everyday conversations with friends I speak "street English" but the difference is that I know the difference.
I'll get off my high horse now... sorry for rambling.

Dave

I am the mother of 4 teenagers and an employer so I see and hear all kinds of grammar and spelling snafus. About the only thing that bugs me is when people call trying to sell me something and say that they just want a couple of minutes to axe me some questions. Offenders are rewarded with the sound of a dial tone. :twisted:

I try to be correct ... I do try! I'm doing my best typing here... really really :p but the apostrophes drive me mad... Teoretically I know how to use them but practically I always forget about them.

Well, alrighty then... There seems to be some issue as to whose grammar is better than their own. Who's to say for sure? They're the sort of people whom I cannot converse with here; nor there. I mean, where should a comma be placed? To indicate a pause in thought or a separation of ideas. We're supposed to know this? Were it that simple, where would the challenge be? To accurately choose the proper word between two or more choices each time would be too easy. My wife agrees. She and I choose words differently than her sister and brother. She, she, and he speak differently than I. Who's correct? I lay awake last night pondering this. If it works for her or him, and conveys the message he or she wishes to express, who am I to judge? I've just laid my glasses down on the desk. I think I'll lie down for a while. My head hurts. I'm tired.

Most reactions

Back