Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One:
_DSC8241.jpg

Two:
_DSC8244.jpg

Three:
_DSC8201.jpg

Comments, critique, and irrelevant (but still funny) jokes welcome. Thanks for looking.

Just as a starting point, what do you like about these and do you have any specific questions you'd like to be addressed?

Well, I consider dandelions to be extremely complex. Your first two shots are clearly out of focus (to me) and the third has two potential points of interest that are missed
I hope that is a typical answer to a typical question.

Well, I consider dandelions to be extremely complex. Your first two shots are clearly out of focus (to me) and the third has two potential points of interest that are missed
I hope that is a typical answer to a typical question.

Yeah, except they're not. The first one is in focus, to me. And the second one has a focus on the inside of the dandelion, but apparently you didn't see that.

I mean, it just seems like you wanted me to have the entire dandelion in focus? Which, you know, isn't really how it was supposed to work. I don't know if you shoot macro with a macro lens, but that whole entire dandelion being in focus thing, really not gonna work out too well, and if it did, it would have ruined the bokeh in the first shot. Destroyed the purpose of the second. And taken the pop out of the third.

Ok, after reading along that whole thread about how criticism is supposed to work (or not work), someone new to this forum (but not new to photography) almost doesn't dare to write anything anymore. Especially nothing in the lines of "I like that shot".
So being someone who is not doing photography for earning money, but rather as an ambitious amateur, as a recreation in my free-time and for fun, I have the following things to say (even though they might not be as valid as the comments from the pros):

1. I simply like those shots. They are beautiful macros and being black & white makes them all the better.
2. The first shot seems a bit flat to me, I'd like to see it "pop" a bit more, maybe a little bit more contrast.
3. Of all the three shots, I definitely prefer the second one, what I especially like about it is the focus being inside the dandelion and how those little hairs become clear again and focused towards the edges.
4. The third photograph is a good abstrahation of the dandelion. One of the pros about it is how it shows the complex structure of the plant around the central focused area. One of the cons is that there is a lot of distracting fuzz going on in the unfocused areas. I know about the rather small depth of field in macros, though, plus I think it's not such a big problem.

I hope this helped somewhat, keep up the good work!

Sebastian

I like the third one a lot. Did you take those outdoors? I guess not. How in the world did you get this fragile little thing inside and positioned without destroying it? :lol:

Oh yea.. and what's with the attitude, kundalini?

Oh yea.. and what's with the attitude, kundalini?
The initial question was put forth with an earnest interest for an understanding of the photos and TR's use of macro as I am considering one for myself.

The followup is an example of smartass begets smartass.

I like all of these, Trenton! I do agree that the first one could use a bit more contrast - it does look kind of flat compared to the others. These are a creative take on a macro dandelion and definitely a view I haven't seen before. Nice job.

The initial question was put forth with an earnest interest for an understanding of the photos and TR's use of macro as I am considering one for myself.

The followup is an example of smartass begets smartass.

Ah well.. thanks for clarifying. :er:

C'mon sidewinder, no cause to be afraid of posting any positive comments on here ever! Members like kundalini have much more reason to fear pushing the "submit" button after they have formulated their honest thoughts on someone's photos on display who apparently only wanted to hear you folks say that they are "good macros" with "pop", since that is what they feel about their own photos, anyway.

But if speaking one's mind (unless it meets the OP's own thoughts on their photography) is being trampled down upon by all others and being called "attitude", then why comment at all (and if the OP is so happy with his macro photography that he thinks each and every photo is perfect the way it is, anyway, then why post it, why not offer them up for sale right away?). I would stop commenting, if I were kundalini... why bother?

C'mon sidewinder, no cause to be afraid of posting any positive comments on here ever! Members like kundalini have much more reason to fear pushing the "submit" button after they have formulated their honest thoughts on someone's photos on display who apparently only wanted to hear you folks say that they are "good macros" with "pop", since that is what they feel about their own photos, anyway.

But if speaking one's mind (unless it meets the OP's own thoughts on their photography) is being trampled down upon by all others and being called "attitude", then why comment at all (and if the OP is so happy with his macro photography that he thinks each and every photo is perfect the way it is, anyway, then why post it, why not offer them up for sale right away?). I would stop commenting, if I were kundalini... why bother?

Things have gotten quite funny on here lately. Certain members can post whatever the heck they want and it's called 'constructive criticism', other speak their mind and are being banned.. I don't quite get the concept here but maybe it's just time for another time-out for me.

Consistency is a virtue when it comes to running a board, IMHO - and this one sure lacks it big time.

Some members have been consistent trouble...
But whoever feels this board lacks is certainly welcome to search the vast www for newer fields...

Some members have been consistent trouble...
But whoever feels this board lacks is certainly welcome to search the vast www for newer fields...

No need to point that out, unless you're actually encouraging me.

What in the world is wrong lately?? Everyone's so on the edge and ready to verbally smack each other in the face like we're getting paid for it. :confused:

I think you are all grown up enough to accept honest opinions and comments.

I think kundalini's comment was
valid and without bitterness. Come on people, if we want reflection, if we want to see how our images work with other people than those who took the photo, then we should be thankful for such comments.

To me they are all a tad underexposed, #1 and #2 have a somewhat random focus plane, are are not the sharpest even where they are in focus.
The latter of course is purely technical and would not matter much if those two did evoke anything inside me, but they just don't. Of course this is just a personal opinion here.

The third one has much more potential, it is way more interesting in terms of the structures shown, but it is technically not right there yet for me (exposure, sharpness/contrast, ...), and there might be better compositions for it.

I am not saying this to offend anyone, but because this is what I feel / think when I look at the images.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying all my images are better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back