to filter or not to filter???

pokopelo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok here i come once again with newbie questions... but at the end that is the main purpose of this forum... so be it...

i have been reading a lot on lens filters, and have concluded so far that your "must have" are UV filter and Polarizer... so i went and got me one of each and are on their way... the polarizer i got it because i like to shoot outdoors and looking to get more saturation on the sky and green so i guess i'll use it a lot...

the question that i have is mostly related to the UV filter, I got it mostly for the protection of the front element, and keep dust out out of the lens, where i leave is a semi-desertic area and there's dust flying around all the time, i've had to blow dust away every time i used it, and then clean it with a microfiber... so back to the question, i've read that the filter really doesn't do much for DSLRs, it might help in hazy conditions, but i don't know.... what's the deal, what's been your experience here?

as always thanks for your response, i'm learning a lot here...

Yeah the UV filter doesn't do much. People use it mostly for protection. Though I never would use a UV filter for protection, I'd just get a clear glass filter. Something like this. Though its not really nessecary for cheaper lenses, but when you start getting 1000+ dollar lenses, then it becomes worth it. I wouldn't bother with one if it was just a kit lens or something.

B+W | 49mm XS-Pro Pro Clear 007M Digital (MRC) | 66-1057638

Yep, the UV filter is pretty much always used for protection. It does help a little in hazy conditions, but from what I've heard, a CPL is better at that anyway (although you lose some light, slowing your shutter speed).

A time not to use your UV filter is if you're shooting into a strong light source, like the sun. If you leave it on, flare might appear in your images, degrading quality. Although, depending on your taste, you might think it adds to the image. Experiment to see what you like.

Most reactions

Back