Todays lesson: (stupid friend content)

Oh I haaate people messing with my camera. I have to start being a jerk about letting people "see" it. Some of my friends don't get that there are certain things you don't do to a DSLR..They think it's a toy.
How do you say "Your asking to play with my $1,700 piece of equiptment, that you know nothing about" without coming off as a jerk?? hehehh

This is my problem with all these techno kiddies. They see a bunch of buttons (esp. when it's digital) and assume the right button combo will reveal God Mode or some secret mega-skill.

In what universe does formatting imply that it will run faster?

hahah dude the last time my friends used my camera was when i was hanging out with them, went to the bathroom and came back to find my friend had taken the camera and shot off about 50 pics down his pants

i have weird friends...

Oh...

It was definitely time for the "megapixels make your dick look bigger" talk, then!

On topic: you should never give your camera to your friends without seeing what they are doing on it. I don't mean to sound harsh. You learned the hard way but you still learned! :lol:

When a friend asks to see it, put the strap round their necks and watch what they're doing behind them. Otherwise some smart alec will try to "help" you by doing something like formatting.

Most of my friends are somewhat into photography .. and those who are not would never push any button without asking.

Mike seems a bit like a moron to me. But I never said that...

In what universe does formatting imply that it will run faster?

I guess he messed up the ideas of formatting and of a windows hard drive defrag ...

Just wait until he starts cleaning the sensor for you or oiling the shutter! :p

i have no idea what universe in which formatting = running faster.

This guy also claims to be a computer guru.

FORMATTING IS A COMMON TERM FOR ERASING THE HARD DRIVE.

ugh. and yes, mike is a little stupid. hahah

There is software that will recover those pictures after a format or even a crash. I would look into it if you want those 200 pics back. If you have already started taking new pictures you might have destroyed some of the previous pics, but the rest should still be recoverable even then.

Good Luck!

There is software that will recover those pictures after a format or even a crash. I would look into it if you want those 200 pics back. If you have already started taking new pictures you might have destroyed some of the previous pics, but the rest should still be recoverable even then.

Good Luck!

Yeah...it was filled up no less than an hour or two after this happened.

Mike was going around the house taking like 10 pictures each of everything he thought looked cool. No changes in any settings. No changes in ANYTHING. He didn't even make sure the first shot turned out before he just held the button down (in continuous mode) and took 5-10 pictures of random things. This filled the cf card up pretttty fast. He must have taken about 70 pictures of liz (my best friend and his gf. thats why he was over there.) I think only 2 out of those 70 pictures look any different than the others.

And whats some good recovery software that i can use?
I'm pretty decent at "acquiring" certain things.

You have a friend that may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but ultimately it is your fault for not watching your own property a little more carefully.

Its still not a wedding or some other once in a lifetime event that was lost, so if you feel you had anything special, you can go back to the locations and attempt to recreate some of the pics that you feel have value. And this time, take the memory card out of the camera and keep it in your pocket if you feel the need to put the camera down around your friends.

yeah no kidding. Im fully aware that it was my fault for letting him mess with it. haha. i plan on going back today and trying to recreate them.

Also...does anyone know why the rebel just sits there and says "busy" when i plug it in to retrieve the pictures?

Have you over-written the CF card? Because every half competent image recovery program can reverse this.

Don't feel too bad, I had a buddy of mine go all the way out to Vegas, snap off about 500 pics, and then have his roommate format the card on his way to the local air show... Have you ever seen a grown man cry? not pretty...

just a note about recovery software...

Most of the ones I looked at to recovery my corrupted card were a free download and try first. You can see the photos to verify that the software can recovery them... but to save them you'll need to make a purchase.

It might be worth your while to download one to see your 200 photos and decide if they are worth trying to recover.

haha. just give me some names of the programs. cost isn't an issue. its very easy to umm.."acquire" them...like i said earlier. :)

Most reactions

Back