theraven

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Liverpool Cathedral by ravenphotography2012, on Flickr

I have seen so many things about Topaz recently that I had to try it for myself, I have to say I am impressed.

I haven’t had much chance to play with it completely yet but the picture above was very boring and flat and didn’t have much going for it, but I applied the Dynamic Pop preset and it’s like a different photograph!

Click on the image and view it on a black background, it looks a lot better.

I put it through Photoshop as a RAW file, did the generic RAW adjustments, then opened the Topaz Adjust plug-in, fiddled about with it a bit until it looked how I wanted it and that was it. I didn’t even feel the need to touch it up afterwards.

I have to say I can see myself using this a lot. I like the depth it gives and the contrast, it also pulls a lot of details out of a RAW file without much effort.

This will be great for those shots that need a little more dynamic range but without the effort of HDR.

It will never replace HDR, but it will be a time saver and I can’t wait to edit my actual HDR’s with it.

I also like the Topaz plugins. I was always against the idea of plugins, but then I watched a couple of their webinars and I was impressed. And considering that they don't charge a whole lot (compared to others) I was intrigued. Then they hit you with 30-50% off...and it was a great bargain.

I like Adjust 5 and Remask. I also have lens effects and maybe another one, I forget.

This will be great for those shots that need a little more dynamic range but without the effort of HDR.

You aren't increasing the dynamic range, you are tone mapping.

I like your cats!!! Teddy is cute, as is Charlie. Pixie looks nice as well.

Cheers guys, ok not as much dynamic range but more visual dynamic range.

It's muddying terms like this that confuses the beginner. Tone mapping has nothing to do with dynamic range. Often HDR is treated with tone mapping, but tone mapping itself does not add any more actual dynamic range.

it is a common misconception and the terms are often used interchangeably when they should not be.

I do like the detail you've brought out in this edit.

Most reactions

Back