Torn between two DSLR

Canon 40D? With the very short cycle in their product lineup and the 50D just coming out, the 40D can be found for about $600 used. It's better than the D80 for that price. It's probably one of the better buys out there at the moment due to the current situation.

Yes, that is exactly what my 40D cost me. Used with less than 1700 photos taken with it when I bought it.

You could save a couple hundred like I did and get the Canon XS instead of the XSi. I consulted a professional photographer friend of mine and he highly recommended I get the XS instead of the XSi to save money since they're nearly identical. The 2 extra megapixels could possibly be blurry ones. Also, he said a lot of companies just put out new models every year as a revenue jolt. You can google for a Canon XS vs XSi comparison chart and youll see theyre pretty much the same.

the XSi and XS are almost the same except fo a few differences. i like having a bigger screen to view my photos on. the XSi also looks alot cleaner on the back panel, having all the buttons to the right of the screen. the XSi has a little bit larger grip to fit your pinky on, gaining more control over the camera. one more plus for the XSi is it has alot smoother lines and curves. this might not make a big difference to everybody, but i like it.

i got my XSi for 600 (a little more with tax) as i just got the body only

those were my 2 options. i went to the store and settled on the xsi cause i just liked the layout and navigation better. hated the nikon

Thanks for all your replies :]
Like I said earlier, I'm probably going to go to Best Buy and see which camera feels better to me the D60 or XSi. Now that I've read all of your replies, I think I'm pretty set on getting the XSi. The D80 was originally what I was looking at but the price kind of threw me off. This is afterall my first DSLR. But I also don't want to get a camera I'll regret later. If you currently have the D80, and wouldn't mind posting a reply of how you like it, it'd be greatly appreciated :]

Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies :]
Like I said earlier, I'm probably going to go to Best Buy and see which camera feels better to me the D60 or XSi. Now that I've read all of your replies, I think I'm pretty set on getting the XSi. The D80 was originally what I was looking at but the price kind of threw me off. This is afterall my first DSLR. But I also don't want to get a camera I'll regret later. If you currently have the D80, and wouldn't mind posting a reply of how you like it, it'd be greatly appreciated :]

Thanks!

Personally, (I had a Rebel SLR) I would go with something used in the mid range. A 30D or a 40D used would save you money in the long run. Its already lost some value in depreciation and they are still current technology. I would buy a body only, unless you find a combo on ebay for a good price with a good piece of glass. Or even buy the Rebel body by itself. Even the 50mm 1.8 with a 30D is a good find. If you are going to want to get into some of the features like, off camera flash, a Rebel won't cut it w/o buying a hotshoe adapter (its just more crap to lug around). A lot of people will tell you to buy good lenses no matter what.

The rebels are a good camera if you are new to photography as a whole. If you've got the digital processing down and able to adjust the technical, go with a mid range camera. It will last you much longer. Screens are screens are screens. In the end, you won't be able to really know if the shot is good, till you see it at full size in you photo editing software.

I've said this before and its my story and I'm sticking to it.

-JD-

The D60 is the current entry level Nikon that is more comparable to the XSi. The D40/50/60 lack of auto focus on full frame lenses would be a show stopper for me, but most of the Nikon guys don't seem to feel it's an issue. I'm a Canon guy so maybe I'm biased, but I like to buy full frame lenses when I can in case I decide to upgrade to a full frame camera in the future. You will probably upgrade your camera in a few years, but good glass will be with you for a lifetime if you take care of them.

Huh? Full frame has nothing to do with autofocus. Pretty much all of Nikon's current full frame lenses will autofocus on the D40/40x/60. Any Nikon lens with AF-S in the name will autofocus on these cameras, irregardles of full frame or not.

so I'm hoping for Christmas my parent's will get me a DSLR. But like I said, I'm still undecided about the D80 or XSi. I know they're both great cameras, but I want to make the right decision.

Huh? Full frame has nothing to do with autofocus. Pretty much all of Nikon's current full frame lenses will autofocus on the D40/40x/60. Any Nikon lens with AF-S in the name will autofocus on these cameras, irregardles of full frame or not.
I stand corrected. Somehow I was under the impression that the AF-S was a designation for a cropped sensor lens only. I see that I was wrong about that. Sorry about any confusion caused.

I stand corrected. Somehow I was under the impression that the AF-S was a designation for a cropped sensor lens only. I see that I was wrong about that. Sorry about any confusion caused.

EF-S is Canon's name for crop-sensor only lenses. AF-S is Nikon's version of USM.

No problem, I just don't want people to get mislead.

On Nikon lenses, any lens with DX in the name is a crop size. If it's not DX, it's full frame. AF-S (autofocus motor in the lens) is common in both types.

Also don't forget third party lenses. Any Sigma lens with HSM in the name will autofocus on the D40/40x/60.

Both manufacturers are your best choices. Both make lenses that are out of this world. However, I should tell you I know more photographers that have switched from Nikon to Canon then the other way around. There is no comparison in Canon's AF motor, in any model.

Either way, spend the money on the lenses. Always spend the money on the lenses. That does not mean go out and buy four cheap lenses. It means buy one or two great lenses. If you go Canon, think L series. Very expensive, but that separates those who wish to take photos and those who wish give with their photos.

-Nick

Hi

I have the Canon XTI of which the XSI is an upgrade. From my experience if i could choose now between a Nikon D80 and Canon XTI i would choose the D80. However I would be interested in whether the XSI has an upgraded sensor to both the XTI and D80. If so that might be what would sway me with it being the newest of the cameras.

Neither, save up for the D90 or likewise, otherwise, you will feel to limited with either of the two you have mentioned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back