Tripod ball head preference: joystick or classic hand-screw type?

makr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m in the process of upgrading from an aluminum tripod with a pan-and-tilt head to a carbon tripod with a ball head. Part of my purchase decision is whether to get a joystick-type head or a classic hand-screw-type head. To any of you that have used both types: would you share your preferences and reasons for your preference? Pros and cons?
Specifically I’m considering the Manfrotto carbon 190 cxpro3 tripod with either the 327rc2 (joystick) or the 498rc2 (classic hand screw) head.
This is likely to be my only tripod setup. If it matters, my camera is a Canon T1i, and my longest lens right now is a Canon EF-S 55-250mm.
Thanks much.

I much prefer "traditional" ball heads; I would suggest considering spending a little more and getting a head with a separate friction control such as the Manfrotto 468. This makes life a LOT easier.

I agree with tirediron. I have a Manfrotto 496, which is overkill for my equipment (Rebel bodies, biggest lens 70-300 IS) but it's always better to have a little extra. I don't like other types, like the quick release heads or the ones with a joystick or three separate controls because they have more parts and connections and more to break. I rarely need to remove the camera from the tripod. If I have to take a shot without the tripod (e.g., looking down over a railing), I just pick up the whole thing and tuck the legs under my arm, which helps steady the camera.

I have the upright model of the joystick styles and am happy with it. I would just look at your heaviest set-up and make sure whatever head you get holds the gear in place.
Take your gear into the store and set up a tripod and grip. Install your plates on the different gear and make sure you are okay with ease of use in different positions that you may shoot in. Be careful when tilting unit in vertical position and that you are supporting the camera towards a leg , not turning it into the space between the legs as the tripod can topple over.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Last edited:
Every joystick type I've seen has impressed me as a gimmicky design. I believe in overkill for some categories of equipment and ball heads are one of those categories.

We have a hefty ball head + joy stick mount at the office, not sure what the brand is but it says made in Italy.

Nevertheless, it's good for fast adjustment to get the approximate position, but really bad for fine adjustment. I still prefer 3-way pan/tilt ones, allows me to concentrate on one direction at a time.

Depends on the use. In the studio I like my modified Manfrotto 222. For most everything else I use a RRS BH-55 ballhead. The 222 is quick and convenient to use for studio work. The BH-55 provides the ease of use in all situations

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the good info. You've made this an educational thread. In general, I think you're suggesting that I spend more money. I think I'm leaning more toward the traditional hand-screw-type ballhead rather than the joystick, but I have to stand back, read some more reviews, and scratch my head a little more. Surprisingly, lots and lots of variety is available,

I have both Joystick and Ballhead.
I found that the Joystick on a tripod would not hold tension and would creep so I use it on my monopod and use the Ballhead on the tripod.
Troy

I have both Joystick and Ballhead.
I found that the Joystick on a tripod would not hold tension and would creep so I use it on my monopod and use the Ballhead on the tripod.
Troy

Which joystick. The vertical or horizontal (Manfrotto 222)?

My personal preference is either a geared or a pan/tilt head. I have a Slik pistol grip head that gets used rarely but is good for fast action. I found I prefer the additional leverage that the pistol grip gives rather than the grip action heads.
Ball heads like the Manfrotto 168 or Bogen 3055 get the nod of my head for now but am seriously looking at a Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic ball head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back