Truth about lenses any lens

I understand some people don't like the presenter (for various reasons) but this video had a very simple message that even I could understand.

I was being fallacious.

This isn't anything new or a secret. And exactly why there are mtf charts, and other review sites that measure zoom lenses at all focal lengths and stops. But angry adjective, claims they don't. I specifically look at these charts and measurements.

Even Ken Rockwell does it...

He also acts like these lenses are completely unuseable at these limits, which again is stupid.

Dude just spews trash. I can't believe you people watch him.

Again, this isn't new, this has been true since the first zoom. In fact, id argue lens manufacturers have been making huge advancements in this realm. So again, what's his actual point?

Last edited:
So translation - he bought a lens that he really likes and not everyone else likes it so he spend 13mins pushing his face into a camera mouthing off how everyone who doesn't like the lens he likes is not as smart as him or somesuch.

I mean its your standard clickbait stuff. Sure zooms are never their best wide open, nor are primes. I mean that's not really much of a debate, this is well known and well documented; it still doesn't mean we can't test and see performance wide open and see how it stands up.

I'm still trying to figure out why y'all even bother with these threads.

We're bored. We've access to the greatest and biggest information source of human understanding and creativity ever created in the history of mankind and - - we are bored.

I also blame Tired Iron!

I blame Donny for always trying to troll and post this drvel

It looks to me that what all forums really need to doing is to be educating those that don’t know much about lenses or photography.
If instead of learning forum rules and risking getting kicked off by telling people the have crappy cameras, all beginners and many advanced just need to be taught how to thoroughly read an MTF chart.
An MTF chart will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about a lens without even trying it or even reading a review.
I realize not all companies will publish an MTF. Boycott those companies until they do, and if they won’t, give your business to those that will.
For a zoom, price alone can almost be an accurate guide. A zoom that has a 2:1 ratio at $10K is gonna be really good! $300 zooms have ratios of 11:1
$300 lenses have a place for a lot of people, nothing wrong with that if it’s all they need. At $300 they are wonderful Facebook and Instagram lenses, they’re all that might be needed.
People aren’t necessarily being deceived by marketing, they are just deceiving themselves with what they are getting for $300!!!
No, I didn’t watch the video. I very rarely watch opinion videos, let alone clickbait.
SS

Last edited:
what's to figure out "Designer" just stated the point, you don't like the videos don't watch it, but it's not bull this is Total Truth about lenses..

but some here making comments just come to make negative comments, i guess it because they think they are the only one who posts something good LMAO

but some here making comments just come to make negative comments, i guess it because they think they are the only one who posts something good LMAO

Something good?

At the ten second mark, Angry Dude claims he's going to teach us something that "not a single other website or forum" will educates you on.

Well let's take the 24-120mm f/4 mention in the video then.

I'd argue Ken Rockwell is one of the most popular websites for lens information. On his page for the 24-120, he measures the distortion/vignetting at various focal range, and publishes the MTF charts at 24mm and 120mm.

If that's not enough for you, DXO Mark is another popular website for lens/sensor measurements. They too have measured the optical performance of the 24-120mm. Here in there interactive chart, you can select various focal length and apertures of the lens and view the results of sharpness, transmission, distortion, vignetting, and CA.

Still not enough? Photographylife.com also reviewed the lens, here I can see easy-to-read sharpness charts at various focal lengths and apertures by center/mid/corner. They also too measure the vignetting and distortion as well at the various focal lengths too.

In this review they even note:

And 120mm is definitely the weakest point of the 24-120mm f/4G VR. We see a pretty visible overall drop of sharpness across the frame, with wide open performance looking the worst. Sadly, even stopping down to f/8 does not do much to improve its extreme corners.

Wow. I thought not a single other website or forum would educate me on this???

Angry Dude isn't being very truthful here...

He then rambles for 13 minutes, ultimately concluding that physical challenges/compromises in optic designs is a marketing technique, at the same time calls pixel peepers who complain about optics at the extreme focal ranges of zoom lenses unintelligent.

Then you come here and give a summary of the video, and write about focusing your lens and there's a sweet spot for the focus. So for any of us who didn't watch the video were completely mislead by your inability to comprehend the video and rehash it here.

So posting a video with little-to-no education or factual content [as well as production value], on a subject that's already well covered, and then mischaracterizing it here is "something good?"

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back