Upgrade my camera, or my glass?

Yours is the same as my experience with that lens. I have one to and have never liked the results I get from it.
/offtopic

Just checked out the link in your sig, you're right I wasn't expecting Tennessee to be what it actually was. Spent last week shooting at Loretta Lynn's ranch for the Amateur National Motocross Championship. First time in Tennessee as an adult, wasn't expecting that [beautiful] terrain.
I'm glad you had a good time here. Tennessee is really interesting in places, and you weren't even in the interesting parts ;) The eastern part of the state is pretty mountainous whereas you were right at the beginning of the foothills. There are some great motorcycle roads around here to.

Did I miss it or did the OP never say what kind of photography he is interested in? I know he just mentioned the 1600 ISO limit. I would agree in your case a body upgrade might make the most sense. I always suggest buying a generation behind when you are on a tight budget so a D7000 refurb and some better glass would probably be the best upgrade, imho. of course depending on what you shoot?

Why not rent a better lens for a day or so and try it on your current body, then you should be able to decide which you want to upgrade first.

Yours is the same as my experience with that lens. I have one to and have never liked the results I get from it.
/offtopic

Just checked out the link in your sig, you're right I wasn't expecting Tennessee to be what it actually was. Spent last week shooting at Loretta Lynn's ranch for the Amateur National Motocross Championship. First time in Tennessee as an adult, wasn't expecting that [beautiful] terrain.
I'm glad you had a good time here. Tennessee is really interesting in places, and you weren't even in the interesting parts ;) The eastern part of the state is pretty mountainous whereas you were right at the beginning of the foothills. There are some great motorcycle roads around here to.
To be fair though, I got there at 11pm, spent all week at the Ranch, and took I40/65 back home. So I didn't really get to see that much.

Did I miss it or did the OP never say what kind of photography he is interested in? I know he just mentioned the 1600 ISO limit. I would agree in your case a body upgrade might make the most sense. I always suggest buying a generation behind when you are on a tight budget so a D7000 refurb and some better glass would probably be the best upgrade, imho. of course depending on what you shoot?

Right now I kind of do a bunch. Landscape, portrait, astrophotography, sports.

thanks for all the replies everyone! Really appreciate it.

One last thing, I know some people recommended just getting the d7000, but would I really be better off buying that, or spending the extra money and getting the d7100 which is up to date?

Last edited:

Right now I kind of do a bunch. Landscape, portrait, astrophotography, sports.

thanks for all the replies everyone! Really appreciate it.

One last thing, I know some people recommended just getting the d7000, but would I really be better off buying that, or spending the extra money and getting the d7100 which is up to date?

IF you already had the D7000 I would say dont upgrade top the D7100 but if you buy new I think its a no brainer get the D7100.
D7000 is an awesome camera but the D7100 is even better, not by much but enough to justify getting it.
Thats how I see it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back