Upper third region of all photos with Nikon D5500 in AUTO MODE while using Flash is dark or shaded.

Avishekh Gautam1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have suddenly faced a frustrating problem with Nikon d5500. That is, while taking photos on automode, and with flash on the photos have dark band on the upper third of every photos. I would like to mention only when the flash is turned on and the problem persists irrespective of whichever mode I use auto mode or program mode with flash on. With no flash everything is fine. The shutter speed is 1/60-1/200 usually in automode when i have observed the band, never outside that range. I have also tried resetting factory settings, turning on off , fomatting the memory card BUT to no avail. I can understand this problem in Manual mode but whats the solution if the problem is in AUTO mode. Plesase get me out of this.

Shoot slower than 1/200 sec

Check your settings for the assigned sync speed.

It sounds like your camera is selecting a shutter speed above the sync speed, which should theoretically be impossible in auto mode.

As i said the issue is in AUTO MODE. and whtever shutter speed i use in other modes with flash on, the dark region persists. Without flash everyting is just perfect.

Check your settings for the assigned sync speed.

It sounds like your camera is selecting a shutter speed above the sync speed, which should theoretically be impossible in auto mode.
thanks, but that issue in auto mode is dumbfounding me.

What flash are you using? If it's the pop-up one built into the camera is the lens or lens hood shading the light from the flash?

For years I was scared of flashes, I did my best to avoid working with them, you need to understand flash and work with the limitation they are designed to have.
I agree with everyone, it looks like you are shooting over your sink speed, its looks like the only explanation.
Get out of the safe AUTO mode, learn your camera and you will be able to figure out yourself what is going on.
Maybe issues with your flash ?
Maybe some settings in your camera is causing shutter speed to work faster then it can handle with the flash on.
Are you using the camera flash or an external flash that you have on the hot shoe.
If you using an external flash maybe issue is with flash ?
Go to camera store and try another flash.
It really is hard to help, I think you need to play with camera and flash until you understand what is the issue.
Put camera on Shutter Priority, set shutter speed to 1/30 and take a picture, do you still see the dark line ?

What flash are you using? If it's the pop-up one built into the camera is the lens or lens hood shading the light from the flash?

Lens hoods don't cast shadows caused by pop-up flashes across the top of images.

Unless you hold the camera upside-down. :048:

As i said the issue is in AUTO MODE. and whtever shutter speed i use in other modes with flash on, the dark region persists. Without flash everyting is just perfect.

Seems to me your camera is unaware that you have a flash attached to it. It is some cheaper third party flash?

Seems to me your camera is unaware that you have a flash attached to it. It is some cheaper third party flash?

It’s the built in flash.

There has to be a problem with your camera. I would try factory restoring all settings. If that fails, contact Nikon.

Do some shots in manual mode with the flash. In your current shots with flash in Auto and Program, what shutter speed is showing in the EXIF data, and what ISO.

OP is going to have to provide example Photos with full EXIF data with the image, rather than what the OP "thinks" the setting is in the various modes.

Only then would we be able to get past a theoretical analysis of the problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back