Upper third region of all photos with Nikon D5500 in AUTO MODE while using Flash is dark or shaded.

Check your settings for the assigned sync speed.

It sounds like your camera is selecting a shutter speed above the sync speed, which should theoretically be impossible in auto mode.
thanks, but that issue in auto mode is dumbfounding me.

Which "auto" mode are you using - Program, Aperature (auto), or Shutter (auto).

Sounds to me that the sync is wrong and the flash has flashed before the first shutter curtain has reached the bottom of the sensor. If that is in Auto, the camera has a fault.

The OP likely does not know the image as it is projected onto the image sensor is upside down relative to what is seen in the viewfinder.
With front shutter curtain flash sync being the default setting from the factory if the flash fires before the front curtain has fully opened the top of the image is black because the curtain is blocking light from reaching the bottom 1/3 of the image sensor.

I agree with john. that if the D5500 is in green AUTO mode when the problem manifests - the camera is malfunctioning and requires repair.

What flash are you using? If it's the pop-up one built into the camera is the lens or lens hood shading the light from the flash?
its the built in flash and i haven't used the lens hood.

Shoot slower than 1/200 sec
As i said the issue is in AUTO MODE. and whtever shutter speed i use in other modes with flash on, the dark region persists. Without flash everyting is just perfect.

Seems to me your camera is unaware that you have a flash attached to it. It is some cheaper third party flash?

It’s the built in flash.

There has to be a problem with your camera. I would try factory restoring all settings. If that fails, contact Nikon.
yeah its the built in flash. I tried factory settings. i speculate my camera
needs repair....

Do some shots in manual mode with the flash. In your current shots with flash in Auto and Program, what shutter speed is showing in the EXIF data, and what ISO.
Thanks. i will try some photos and post later today. Shutter speed 1/60 and ISO was 100 WHEN i tired auto mode (green-dial) flash yesterday.

Do some shots in manual mode with the flash. In your current shots with flash in Auto and Program, what shutter speed is showing in the EXIF data, and what ISO.
Thanks. I will try doing that today and will post the pictures as well.
Sounds to me that the sync is wrong and the flash has flashed before the first shutter curtain has reached the bottom of the sensor. If that is in Auto, the camera has a fault.
i hope its not cameras fault but eventually it seem that it is.......

The OP likely does not know the image as it is projected onto the image sensor is upside down relative to what is seen in the viewfinder.
With front shutter curtain flash sync being the default setting from the factory if the flash fires before the front curtain has fully opened the top of the image is black because the curtain is blocking light from reaching the bottom 1/3 of the image sensor.

I agree with john. that if the D5500 is in green AUTO mode when the problem manifests - the camera is malfunctioning and requires repair.
yeah its the green AUTO mode. might be its malfunctioning coz everything i have tried till now has been to no avail........

try a factory reset first and foremost then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back