Very new at this and would like C&C please

Kchev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did my first "shoot" with my daughter this weekend. I have several shoots scheduled next month to practice with and build up a portfolio. I am also looking into taking some one on one workshops to learn more.

Anyway, we did a smash cake session outside for her first b-day. It was way too hot, so she was difficult. I took a few pictures back at the house too just using natural light from a window. Please let me know what you think. Be gentle!!!

Mad8.jpg

mad3.jpg

mad11.jpg

mad12bw.jpg

mad17.jpg

mad7.jpg

mad6.jpg

mad14.jpg

Welcome; for the best C&C please limit your post to four or fewer images, and number them.

C&C per req:

1. There's a reason that the vertical orientation is referred to as "portrait" ;) You've cropped her head and arms in awkward ways; frame your shot in the viewfinder and then open up a bit to prevent this. Try increasing the contrast a bit to reduce the mid-tones (greys) in your monochrome.

2. Exposure, focuse and WB. The skin has blown areas as well as blue hue. You also appear to have missed the focus as her face has an overall soft appearnce. 'Up the nose' shots are rarely attractive. Try and stay at her eye level.

3. Cute; I think the agnle works here, but the exposure is way off; large blown areas of skin and on the "filling" in the bucket. Were these by any chance lit with a bright window image right?

4. Much better conversion, good focus; I'd try some dodging and burning to reduce the bright areas and shadows a little but overall, very nice.

5. Large blown area at the bottom, and the cropped ballons really detract from this image. It's great that we can see her looking at the balloons, but we need to see all of them. Consider a speedlight or reflector image left to help deal with the highlights.

6. Again, odd colour casts around the face. Why all the empty space image right and cropped limbs image left? It's fine to crop limbs if you need to, but do it boldly and NEVER at a joint or along their axis. Little bits of limbs missing just looks like you were careless.

7. Better crop than #6, but again the angle isn't ideal IMO. Her skin is about 1/2 stop over-exposed. Note the lack of detail around her right wrist?

8. Another cute one, but it screams for fill light from slightly camera left. The deep shadows around her eyes and forehead and lack of catchlights in the eye detract; again, not a fan of the cropped balloons.

Overall, these are a good start, showing some common beggining mistakes, but with a good eye for what makes an interesting shot. Work on the basics, and try reading the tutorials here on exposure, WB and focus. On the plus side, you've done a good job on your logo!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

The white balance is the first thing that catches my eye in the color images. The scene is too blue/cool.

The white balance is the first thing that catches my eye in the color images. The scene is too blue/cool.

I was going to say the same thing. This works okay in #2 but some of the others its not quite as appealing.

I wonder why I don't have a cool signature stamp on all my photos...oh yea...I'm not good enough to have one yet...

Thank you for the feedback. I was seeing the issues y'all pointed out as well. I know I have a lot to learn, but I need people to practice on!As for your comment, AgentDrex, it was not needed. You said absolutely nothing that would help my improve my photos. You were just being rude! I am very proud of my logo that I made for when I am ready to start my business, so bite me!

The one thing that caught my eye is, these shots could have been shot by any one of 10 that shoot babies on here, same poses,props and lighting, they are good but i see about 5 or more posts that are the same and it's getting very boring i want someone to experiment with more dynamic lighting and poses

As for your comment, AgentDrex, it was not needed. You said absolutely nothing that would help my improve my photos. You were just being rude! I am very proud of my logo that I made for when I am ready to start my business, so bite me!

I can tell you are proud of your logo. A little too proud, since you became unnecessarily upset. My logos I make are not good enough to place on a photo. Yours are. Hence my "rude" comment. Consider yourself bitten.

...As for your comment, AgentDrex, it was not needed. You said absolutely nothing that would help my improve my photos. You were just being rude! I am very proud of my logo that I made for when I am ready to start my business, so bite me!
I think you're missing the point that [I believe] 'Drex was trying to make which is, "walk before you run", or "worry about getting your photography right before you practice your graphic arts". The best designed, most attractive logo/watermark in the world isn't going to help shift a bad photograph.

Well...it is one of the things you could do when starting a business. Having a logo is a good thing, but I don't understand the necessity to have one right off the bat. I tried and all mine look like dog junk...yours is awesome...in my opinion...but they are top of photos that are not as nice...my photos aren't up to what I would put a logo on...95% of the photos I've seen on here with logos are the same...they don't deserve a logo yet...your logo is cool...I love the dandelion parachute idea...its a great logo...now...hone your photo skills...

Agentdex, I know what you are trying to say. I had just made the logo this weekend and wanted to see how it looked on actual photos. It was my first time using illustrator, so I was loving it. I'm trying to find some photography workshops in my area that I can take. I'm more of a hands on learner...I am going to try to do another shoot with my daughter when she is in a better mood. Hopefully they will turn out better :)

Most reactions

Back