Watercolours

peter27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to work on a particular subject and have chosen water as the theme. This will be an ongoing project for this year and I will post the photos in this thread. Feedback, crit and suggestions gratefully received :) The camera, lens and film info will be listed on my flickr page for each of the photos. So here goes with the first few:

1-imm014_16-001 by pete40027, on Flickr

1-imm016_18-001 by pete40027, on Flickr

1-imm023_25 by pete40027, on Flickr

1-imm020_22 by pete40027, on Flickr

Looks good so far. I love the mood that is set in the first and third shots, and the reflection of the second is great. The last one isn't hitting me in quite the same way. Not quite sure why. For example, I'm oddly distracted by the front swan's head getting sort of lost in the darkness of the back swan, and even though it's exposed the same as the third one, it seems underexposed whereas the third one seems 'moody' (for lack of a better word.)

Looks good so far. I love the mood that is set in the first and third shots, and the reflection of the second is great. The last one isn't hitting me in quite the same way. Not quite sure why. For example, I'm oddly distracted by the front swan's head getting sort of lost in the darkness of the back swan, and even though it's exposed the same as the third one, it seems underexposed whereas the third one seems 'moody' (for lack of a better word.)

Thanks Leonore. As I explore this theme some shots will be better than others! I agree with your assessment of the two swan shots here, though I am also unable to quite put my finger on why the one came out better than the other (both metered with my Sixtar and shot within a short timeframe). What I do like about the last shot is the opposing direction of the movement suggested by the smaller birds and the tension this introduces.

Thanks Leonore. As I explore this theme some shots will be better than others! I agree with your assessment of the two swan shots here, though I am also unable to quite put my finger on why the one came out better than the other (both metered with my Sixtar and shot within a short timeframe). What I do like about the last shot is the opposing direction of the movement suggested by the smaller birds and the tension this introduces.

I like that, too, and that they are all in sets. Perhaps a tighter crop to eliminate that solo bird at the top left, or maybe clone it out. As for the light, I think this might be the kind of shot that would be improved with an understanding of post processing layers, but I definitely can't help you there. I've gotten good at cloning because of all the dust that still remains even on clean negatives, and I'm starting to play a little bit with dodging and burning, but layering to affect lighting and colors? That's a bit advanced for me! :confused: I suppose I could learn, but my tendency is usually to just go out and reshoot!

^^^^

Thanks both. This is going to be an interesting project, and it's amazing what you see when you're really looking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back