What converter should I buy for this Spiratone lens?

Joseph Stowell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I recently bought an old lens for quite cheap at a thrift store (the specs on the sides say "Spiratone 1:5.6 f=300mm Mirror Lens No.8300968 ø72 Minitel-S Plura-Coat"), and it appears to be built for SLR cameras rather than my Canon Rebel. I've done some research and it appears that a t-ring adaptor would be the best way for me to mount it to my canon, but I'm not 100% confident on this and I don't want to spend my money on an adaptor if it's not going to work. Can anyone help out?

Picture of the lens from online (it's the middle one):
9ba78f14f8054f8e8ee97e83368aba5d

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Take a picture of the base.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
If it's a T-mount, then all you would need is a T-mount-to-Canon EF adapter.

compur

Reaction score
Yes, it's a T-mount lens. The adapter just screws onto the base of the lens.

petrochemist

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The T -mount (often called T2) is designed for adaptability. I don't think any cameras have been made in this mount & it's readily converted to just about every mount for interchangeable lens cameras with 35mm or smaller sensor/film. A few medium format cameras can also be adapted but I don't think any of the MF SLRs can if infinity focus it needed.
It doesn't allow communication between the lens & camera so aperture & focusing are fully manual (aperture on mirror lenses is fixed anyway so it's very common for such lenses).
I believe it was originally designed for connecting cameras & telescopes/microscopes a role it is still regularly the default for.

TWX

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
It doesn't allow communication between the lens & camera so aperture & focusing are fully manual (aperture on mirror lenses is fixed anyway so it's very common for such lenses).
As a mirror lens it lacks aperture control, so all that has to be contended with is manual focus, and obviously using a combination of shutter speed and ISO to get the exposure right.

Original katomi

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have used the T2 adapter with a 500 mm mirror lens.
As others have said you will have to set f stop and focus manually

petrochemist

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
As a mirror lens it lacks aperture control, so all that has to be contended with is manual focus, and obviously using a combination of shutter speed and ISO to get the exposure right.
My point precisely in the last half of the quote you used.
FWIW mirror lenses are practically all manual focus too (I've heard of ONE exception but never seen it) so mount has very little to do with their operation.

vintagesnaps

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Spiratone! that name doesn't come up too often in discussions, but they made some nice products back in the day. Once you get an adapter I hope you enjoy using it.

TWX

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Spiratone! that name doesn't come up too often in discussions, but they made some nice products back in the day. Once you get an adapter I hope you enjoy using it.

Ya gotta appreciate good ol' Fred!

I'd never heard of him before. I guess the presence of Canons, Nikons, Sonys, and Pentaxes in our hands are in good measure based on his work.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
For 35 years I have had a 300mm f/5.6 Celestron mirrror lens in F-Mount...not a great performer, but not bad...it's a good compromise between length and aperture and size and weight.Much smaller and lighter than a 500mm f/8 mirror lens. Quite short really in overall length.One helpful tip would be to locate a rather long rubber screw-in lens hood. I believe that lens probably uses a 67mm filter thread, and the Mamiya RB 67 180 mm rubber lens hood is the one i think i used to use back in the early 2000's...the best hood is about as long as the lens itself. When reversed the lens fits inside the hood quite nicely.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics