What do I need to appear like i know what I'm doing?

While I love watching videos and reading online articles, I also like being able to take notes, underline/highlight passages I find helpful, and bookmark pages.

All types of learning media are helpful. It depends on the person's learning style.

Lol at the people saying to go to the library.

Its called "the Internet", more specifically....youtube.com.
Any idiot can make a youtube video. Proof of this........look at youtube.

Takes considerable more work and money to create printed media or professional produced film and video. Something the average youtube idiot does not possess.

post-11-0-96356900-1377218813.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
While I love watching videos and reading online articles, I also like being able to take notes, underline/highlight passages I find helpful, and bookmark pages.

All types of learning media are helpful. It depends on the person's learning style.
MS Edge browser is for you.

Why do I think this OP has been here before?

^ Yes, but have any of them said anything like what the OP said...

3. Purpose is mostly for portraits of models for my own enjoyment. So the iphone would be fine for that but if i'm paying something and convincing them to come then me taking pictures with my phone might be a little too obvious and not instill great confidence in the models.

Which is why my creep meter went off.

Really? No one else recognizes a troll when it's shooting them in the face?

See what I did there? It's punny. Because camera reference.

For the record, my favorite strategy for appearing that I know what I'm doing ... is knowing what I'm doing.

... and I dont think theres really a substitute for that one.

The key to good portraiture is the lighting.
QFT :)

I know there are a bunch of Nikon shooters around here, but, nothing gives more credibility than a big white, ugly lens. ;)
White Canon lenses are for sports. The OP wants to do portraiture (or at least he claims so). Thus the lens to get would be the the mighty EF 85mm f1.2 that isnt white (and would be an absolutely horrible choice for sports thanks to slow autofocus).

Lol at the people saying to go to the library.

Its called "the Internet", more specifically....youtube.com.
The OP was TheLibrarian, so I thought investigations there would be more relevant :)

IMO Cambridge in colour Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community is a much better internet source than youtube for general photography. Youtube will have thousands of videos on photography basics/skills many of them useless. It comes into it's own with more specific information such as details on a specific lens/body.

Want to look as if you know what you are doing, that's a loaded question. Simply because if you don't know what you are doing you will fall flat on your face this would usually be face first into a cow pat. If you want to look it, you seriously need to do it, weather that be reading going to school or simply Joining a local photography club. You will start to "be it" and "look it" before you know it!! actually "after you know it" Just have fun and enjoy what you are doing. Others will notice. Cheers Pete

Edit: your art is in you. Not in your camera. Go to your local Camera shop and see if they have a rental scheme, this would do two things 1/ give you hands on experience with differing models. 2/ while your at it have fun. If you buy on budget alone you are guaranteed to start saying "Boy that purchase was a mistake."

Last edited:
im not here to justify myself to anyone. If you have nothing useful to add then go answer another question.

If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

Most reactions

Back