What kind of camera do professional photographers use?

If your goals are to "launch" a "photography business", sometime in the future, "... and need to upgrade" your camera. I think this is a fair/honest/legitimate/good question. If you think you are ready to be a professional, that type of question speaks to you not being ready to fairly address the needs of your clients in a professional manner.

So, assuming the former, good question because many people 'waste' a lot of money purchasing equipment which eventually gets dumped in favor of hardware which better/best serves the clients and the photographer.

Types of photography genre tends to dictate camera and sensor size (see above).

Again, assuming that your chosen field of professional photography lends itself to a 35mm type of camera, you have two basic choices in dSLR's:

1) Full Frame (FF) dSLR; or
2) APS-C (crop sensor) dSLR.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. In a nutshell, (and being brief to the point of opening up the discussion for a lot of pushback). Generally, it is easier to go wide with a FF. Generally, it is easier to go long with an APS-C. That being said, most pros that I know use FF dSLR's because, in the past there was a significant difference between the build quality, shooting performance and Image Quality (IQ) of FF cameras and lenses when compared to APS-C camera and lenses. As time and technology marches-on, those distinctions are rapidly becoming less and less. (Many FF enthusiasts will hop up and down talking of paper thin DOF of a FF or the ultra high usable ISO of FF, but unless you are shoot a specialty genre, a la jewerly product or bats in a cave ... those differences are not significant for most pro photographers.)

But, I think you're are really wondering about manufacturers ... what manufacturer crafts the best 'pro' camera? My experience that the top of the line Canon is pretty much equal to the top of the line Nikon. Presently, Nikon may have an edge in sensor technology, but next year it may be Canon. Sony may have the best all-around sensor out there, but their lens lineup pales in comparison to Nikon and Canon. Et cetera. (I am attempting to address the question without diving into minutia.)

All in all, I think that there is very little performance difference between Canon/Nikon and very little IQ difference between FF/APS-C. But I would definitely buy FF lenses regardless of sensor size. That way, I could use the same lens on different sensored bodies.

Again, in a nutshell, I used to be a pro. What, more expensive equipment did for me, was it made it easier to capture the exceptional image and that was my job. Again, it was easier with greater consistency, (consistency increases with ease), to capture the image I needed with more expensive equipment than less expensive.

I think both Canon and Nikon will deliver pretty much the same quality image with the same level of performance.

MSnowy said:
Welcome to TPF. You will get some great advice here once you learn to weed out the bull$h:t a few of the members can't help but sling. I think you'll find the gear you need depends on what level of professionalism you'd like to achieve.

The above summarizes things pretty well. There are a number of good, professionally-oriented cameras in the world. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax are the primary, everyday systems. But the "gear" is not really as important as the knowledge, the working methods, and the business aspects of photography.

If you want to avoid the bull$hi+ slinging, check out Kirk Tuck's blog, The Visual Science Lab, to see how a longtime commercial photographer looks at equipment. And a big hint: lighting gear, and modifiers. Kirk has gone through more camera systems than most anybody. Check out his enthusiasm for modern mirrorless cameras, and modern lighting equipment.

MSnowy said:
Welcome to TPF. You will get some great advice here once you learn to weed out the bull$h:t a few of the members can't help but sling. I think you'll find the gear you need depends on what level of professionalism you'd like to achieve.

The above summarizes things pretty well. There are a number of good, professionally-oriented cameras in the world. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax are the primary, everyday systems. But the "gear" is not really as important as the knowledge, the working methods, and the business aspects of photography.

If you want to avoid the bull$hi+ slinging, check out Kirk Tuck's blog, The Visual Science Lab, to see how a longtime commercial photographer looks at equipment. And a big hint: lighting gear, and modifiers. Kirk has gone through more camera systems than most anybody. Check out his enthusiasm for modern mirrorless cameras, and modern lighting equipment.
You mean the guy behind the Mamiya Leaf? :biglaugh: About & Contact

I would bring up my normal comment about experience trumping internet advice but I get attacked pretty vigorously when I do.

not to mention that professionals only use Canon L glass and Nikon Nanocrystal coated glass.
*LOL*
It's not the camera that makes the professional.

You can't forget about Nikon's gold ring!
The more relevant question is:
do Professional Photographers prefer Ramen or Mac&Cheese?

Homemade Mac&Cheese for sure!
of course home made...
eating out and professional photographer (just starting out) does not go together

gryphonslair99 said:
You mean the guy behind the Mamiya Leaf? :biglaugh:

Clearly, you fail to grok why the Mamiya Leaf shot was included..

A camera wayyyy above most people's pay grade, by the way. One used, years ago, by a commerical shooter with clients based all across the United States. In business for the better part of three decades.

It's pretty clear you have no clue about the man, or the business, or the reason the shot was included in the blog. The Visual Science Lab. Note the title: it's not All About Cameras.

You missed the LIGHTING posts in your 1-minute click-through, and you missed the many articles on how to run a BUSINESS, from a successful business owner in photography. But yeah...you saw an actual working professional shooter, who, at ONE time, shot a Mamiya/Leaf.

hah hah hah

gryphonslair99 said:
You mean the guy behind the Mamiya Leaf? :biglaugh:

Clearly, you fail to grok why the Mamiya Leaf shot was included..

A camera wayyyy above most people's pay grade, by the way. One used, years ago, by a commerical shooter with clients based all across the United States. For over three decades.

It's pretty clear you have no clue about the man, or the business, or the reason the shot was icluded in the blog. The Visual Science Blog. Note the title: it's not All About Cameras.

You missed the LIGHTING posts in your 1-minute click-through, and you missed the many articles on how to run a BUSINESS, from a successful business owner in photography. But yeah...you saw an actual working professional shooter, who, at ONE time, shot a Mamiya/Leaf.

hah hah hah
a-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words-poster.jpeg

You so funny! Did you steal that image, or do you hold copyright to it?

Thank to those of you who gave good information! I stated that I have a rebel t3i, but that's not a professional camera. I also stated that I think I'd like another Canon. I guess my question should have been, if you are a professional outdoor portrait photographer with a business, what kind of camera do you use? Regardless of budget and if I can afford it right now or not, I'd like to know what exactly kinds of cameras professionals use. By kind, I mean brand, type, model, lens, etc. I feel that's a valid question and thank you for those replies that were serious.

Thank to those of you who gave good information! I stated that I have a rebel t3i, but that's not a professional camera. I also stated that I think I'd like another Canon. I guess my question should have been, if you are a professional outdoor portrait photographer with a business, what kind of camera do you use? Regardless of budget and if I can afford it right now or not, I'd like to know what exactly kinds of cameras professionals use. By kind, I mean brand, type, model, lens, etc. I feel that's a valid question and thank you for those replies that were serious.
Generally, many in a portrait, wedding, events, etc scenario would use a Canon 5d mark III or a newer variant. Commonly used with a 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8

For more sport oriented business a Canon 7d mark II. Used with above lenses or even longer 300/2.8, 400 etc dependent upon use.

I use the Nikon equivalent of those cameras.

Your question is meaningless.

That's not me trying to be nasty but more that there isn't going to be an answer. Even if you stick within canon there's the fullframe VS crop sensor debate to be had; whilst most would advise a fullframe there's no reason that a crop sensor camera can't do well.

But if you take the typical angle of fullframe and regardless of budget then you'd be looking at the 1D series of bodies - top of the range and top prices. Down from that you've the 5D range which is the most likely many would choose as a common denominator and being more affordable. The 5DMIII is a top choice. It's also not abnormal to have two or more main camera bodies to let you swap between two commonly used lenses at the same time (although that's more critical in fast moving events and less so in a more relaxed portrait shoot)

As for lenses; no answer. A general line might be high end, wide aperture under 200mm and 50mm or greater.

That's probably about as close as you can get for a rough answer for an outdoor portrait photographer with no budget limit.

Thing is you've got zooms and primes; the 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 mentioned above could be your two work horses on two fullframe camera bodies. OR you could have some primes in there too. A huge wealth of primes depending on how you like to shoot; 135mm f2; 85mm f1.2 etc....

The answers will be all over the place due to the individual desires, budgets, limits, focuses and backgrounds of the various photographers. There is no one professional kit; there is no one single glove that fits all (although the two mentioned zooms would be the most likely choice for an all-comers selection).

If you want answers that relate to you you've got to put your criteria on the table. Show us what kind of photography you do; what you want to do; what the problems are with your current kit that you want to overcome etc...

Heck there's nothing to stop your current camera paired with some high end primes/zooms from doing good quality photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back