What to buy?

You may want to check and see if you can locate a Nikon D50 DSLR used. I picked up one for my friend from craigslist a month or so ago for USD$250.

And about the Vivitar lens you had, would it be a macro lens that allow you to shoot close up photos? The extra piece could be a extension that make the lens to obtain the 1:1 ratio. (1:2 without the extension)

You may want to check and see if you can locate a Nikon D50 DSLR used. I picked up one for my friend from craigslist a month or so ago for USD$250.

And about the Vivitar lens you had, would it be a macro lens that allow you to shoot close up photos? The extra piece could be a extension that make the lens to obtain the 1:1 ratio. (1:2 without the extension)

No clue.. :S

I -think- it's a macro though. I remember my father saying something like that.. how to figure out?

The D50 is such a good camera they aren't easily obtained.

I get the impression the OP is not in the USA so Craigslist might not be an option.

Again I would have a good look at the used market D40, D40X, D60, D50, D200

I would really like to know the model of your current Nikon film camera. I may be willing to help you fund a DSLR by purchasing it from you if it's a model my collection lacks.

blashphomy! lol i just wanted to say that. youll be happier with a canon!

The D50 is such a good camera they aren't easily obtained.

I get the impression the OP is not in the USA so Craigslist might not be an option.

Again I would have a good look at the used market D40, D40X, D60, D50, D200

I would really like to know the model of your current Nikon film camera. I may be willing to help you fund a DSLR by purchasing it from you if it's a model my collection lacks.

Any way for me to know what model it is?

Do you have MSN? If so, add me;

l ### i #### f ### e ### i #### s #### g ### o ### o ### d ### _ ### @ ### live.ca

Minus all the # and no spaces. I do this to avoid my e-mail being indexed by Google's evil crawlbots. ;)

If you have a digi cam somewhere, you may want to take some photos of them. Post the photos in the forum and see if someone can identify them for you.

Sorry, no on the MSN.

Look the camera over carefully because it has a model designation on it somewhere.

Some past model names: FM · FE · EM · F3 series · FG · FM2 · FE2 · FA · FG-20 · F301 · F601m · FM10 · FE10 · FM3A

A click on each of these will take you to Wikipedia and there are pictures of each as well are a more extensive list near the bottom of each page.

blashphomy! lol i just wanted to say that. youll be happier with a canon!

You don't know what will make him happier. And your opinions obviously aren't based on much use. All Nikons stuff is flimsy? Like the D300, D700, D3, and D3X?

And the fact that they have CLS which can be a very useful tool, something that Canon doesn't have and who's wireless TTL is lacking in comparison.

Stop being a Canon fanboy. It'll make the world a happier place. That's a fact.

Taken with a webcam. :lol:

Front:
2u55ev4.jpg

Back:
2cwx7w6.jpg

Bottom:
ek3pso.jpg

Top:
2cnwa9t.jpg

It says "FM" on the back and a bunch of numbers, but I'm not sure it looks like the one on the Wikipedia article. o.o

I am too curious to know about your inborn talent. Mind posting some of the pictures taken by you showing your talent? Please, show us your talent.

Taken with a webcam. :lol:

Front:
2u55ev4.jpg

Back:
2cwx7w6.jpg

Bottom:
ek3pso.jpg

Top:
2cnwa9t.jpg

It says "FM" on the back and a bunch of numbers, but I'm not sure it looks like the one on the Wikipedia article. o.o

Wow these pics are fabulous...now I see your "inborn talent"....lol jk

Lol this is gonna sound silly, but my budget just shot up to $400. XD

Maybe a little more too.

I'm still waiting for suggestions lol.

I would say, since you already have Nikon Lenses (which will work on Digital SLRs, or at least mine do on my D70.)
Look around on ebay and craigslist for a D50 or D70. You can get a good deal somewhere in your budget. I got my D70 from the used depot at B&H Photo VIdeo for 250 dollars, leaving you enough for a new lens to.

Of you cant get A d50 or d70, get a new d40, excelent camera for a beginner (or anyone.....)
Any DSLR (preferably not olympus, they have rather small image sensors, which isnt requires very wide lenses to get a rather wide shot.) will be an excelent choice.

Thanks for the advice!

Are you 100% positive my lenses would work on any SLR? Their focus is manual I believe..

they will probably work. obviously you will still have to manually focus. they may not work on a D40 or D60 though. you're best bet would be to take it to a local camera shop and make sure it works on the camera.

Most reactions

Back