What will an FX lens do on a DX camera?

Ya, I just might do that 07Vios. 480Sparky said they are generally better quality overall, and I may eventually upgrade to full frame..

If it's anything like Canon, my EF lenses are WAY better than my EF-S lens, so it would be worth getting FX lenses when ever you can. I never got to experience any FX lens since I only ended up getting another lens (35mm f1.8) in addition to the kit lenses for my D40, but I liked those lenses. The D40 kit lens is a lot better than the Canon 18-55mm kit lens.

If you don't mind me asking; what made you decide to make the switch from Nikon to Canon? So I'm guessing EF lens are like FX lens, and EF-S lens are like DX lens? Sorry, don't know much about Canon.

I had a D40, and felt I passed its limitations (the 3 AF points, the ISO limitations), and I had more friends with Canon (so if I ever needed to borrow lenses).

If it's anything like Canon, my EF lenses are WAY better than my EF-S lens, so it would be worth getting FX lenses when ever you can. I never got to experience any FX lens since I only ended up getting another lens (35mm f1.8) in addition to the kit lenses for my D40, but I liked those lenses. The D40 kit lens is a lot better than the Canon 18-55mm kit lens.

If you don't mind me asking; what made you decide to make the switch from Nikon to Canon? So I'm guessing EF lens are like FX lens, and EF-S lens are like DX lens? Sorry, don't know much about Canon.

I had a D40, and felt I passed its limitations (the 3 AF points, the ISO limitations), and I had more friends with Canon (so if I ever needed to borrow lenses).

Oh okay. I gotcha.

As I understand it when you use an FX lense on a DX body you're not getting the light from the edges of the lense just the 'crop' from the centre, sure you're carrying extra glass but you're using just the sweet spot.

Okay so it will act just as if I bought a DX lens? So why the specifications in DX/FX lens?

You can use any FX lens on the D5100 you like. The difference is you could also use them on an FX body if you decide to upgrade, borrow or rent one.

Okay. So even with the sensor crop of 1.5 that 50mm FX lens will still act as a 50 prime? Or will it convert to 75mm? I'm trying to decide weather I want to purchase the AF-S 50mm 1.8G or the 35mm 1.8G lens...

You can take a 50mm 1.4 lens (FX) and put it on an FX body and when looking through the viewfinder it will look the same as if that lens were on a DX body.

captmike said:
You can take a 50mm 1.4 lens (FX) and put it on an FX body and when looking through the viewfinder it will look the same as if that lens were on a DX body.

Well, technically it won't... The field of view will be narrower. But for all intents and purposes, if you're only shooting a crop frame camera, the 50mm will perform just like a 50mm. It doesn't "convert" to anything.

captmike said:

Well, technically it won't... The field of view will be narrower. But for all intents and purposes, if you're only shooting a crop frame camera, the 50mm will perform just like a 50mm. It doesn't "convert" to anything.

Ah...I did just that before I purchased my 50mm 1.4G for my D7000

captmike said:
Ah...I did just that before I purchased my 50mm 1.4G for my D7000

You did what?

Most reactions

Back