What's In Your Camera Bag?

lanyemichelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought this topic might be a fun but also a good way to learn! What is either currently in your camera bag, what you don't usually leave the house without or both? List what type of photography you do most often as well.

For me;

I mostly do portraits, all different types. This set up works pretty well.

1. Jo Totes Gracie Bag. It's feminine, but not in an obnoxious way. I wanted a bag that was big enough to haul around a variety of gear for highly mobile shoots but that I could also wear messenger style. I don't want to have to put my bag down constantly while out shooting and the messenger style offers faster access than a backpack style. Not super expensive and pretty comfortable.

2. Nikon D600 Body with Strap. Pretty obvious. Love this camera. Still looking for a padded strap that isn't a walk advertisement for Nikon. I'd like one that isn't girly, preferably black or grey, and doesn't break the bank. That accessory is on the back burner for now.

3. Nikon 85mm f/1.8G. My newest lens acquisition. So far, I'm loving it. Very sharp, great depth of field even when stopped down a bit, and pretty good color rendition.

4. Nikon 50mm f/1.8G. My first lens of my very own. Really like it, no huge motivation to upgrade to the f/1.4.

5. 32 GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC Card and 16 GB ProMaster Secure Digital SDHC Card. I don't usually fill up both on a shoot, but I always keep both in the camera. Enough storage space for 500 RAW files from my D600. The ProMaster copies to the computer a bit faster, but it's also half the storage for twice the price. Not worth it in my opinion.

6. 72mm CPL with step up rings for both lenses. I haven't used this much because the light has been grey and dull lately. I don't know the brand, it was loaned/given to me by a friend and is just a generic. It's more of a try out to decide if I want to purchase my own, better quality CPL.

7. Giottos Rocket Blower. I can't stand even tiny dust anywhere on my lenses. When I first started out the person who taught me NEVER cleaned their lenses, and when I got my own gear I started noticing dust spots on the images. Since then I've been pretty obsessive about keeping the dust off. I'll probably break down and get UV filters for my lenses soon to help with it, but for now the rocket blower has been really helpful with shooting outdoors and its quick.

8. Extra Battery. Self-explanatory. I don't think I've ever run down a full battery outside of a wedding.

9. Small Lens Cleaning Kit and Extra Microfiber Cleaning Cloth. Stays in the bag for ease of use, it's nice to keep it where my lenses are. Includes solution, lens cleaning tissues, a brush that I never use, cotton swabs for threads and a microfiber cleaning cloth. I take it with me because I'm paranoid about random finger prints or some other disaster...

10. Wireless Remote Shutter Release. Not sure I'm super satisfied with the Nikon version but I haven't used it much yet. Just got it about a week ago for slow shutter speeds and self portraits. I've kept it in the bag for impromptu self portraits.

11. Front and Back Lens Caps, Hoods and Body Cap. Pretty much a no brainer. I always use front and back lens caps, something that my 'teacher' also didn't do. I usually keep the hoods on the lens pretty much all the time to protect it if I accidentally bump the lens on something. I'm more likely to bump the front edge than anywhere else. If the light doesn't require a lens hood or it's dark out I'll reverse it but keep it on the lens.

12. Wacom Tablet. It fits perfectly in the front zipper pocket of my bag, and I usually keep it there simply because it does fit so well. Great for on-the-go editing and retouching. 99% of the time if I'm doing any editing my camera bag will be with me.

Your turn!

Last edited:
Depends on what I am doing:

Photo:
Cannon FiveDee Mark 3
70-200 f/4
17-40 f/4
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.8
35mm f/2
40mm f2.8
canon 600EX-RT
Nikon sb800
3 Pocket Wizard Plus X
Various Cables
Lots of AA batteries
A bunch of extra SD and CF cards.
Tripod plates
Lens wipes
Various lens hoods

Video:
Canon 5d Mk 3
85mm f/1.8
35mm f/2.0
50mm f/1.4

Nikon 3200
50mm f/1.8
35mm f/1.8

Rhodes Shotgun Mic
Sennheiser pac with lav mic
Headphones
elvid lcd screen
hdmi cables

Depends on what I'm shooting. These days I like to carry less stuff that I used to. MY last shoot was indoors, and I carried everything in a Domke messenger-style bag.

D3x with 85mm f/1.4 AF-D attached. 70-200/2.8 VR standing tall in the main compartment. 35mm f/2 AF-D and 50mm f/1.8 AF-S stacked on two rear lens caps taped together, and stored in one of the front pockets. 105mm f/2 AF-D Defocus COntrol in one of the front pockets.

Extra battery. Two small CF card wallets with a mix of 8-gig and 4-gig high-speed CF cards. Microfiber cleaning cloth in a Zip-Lock baggie.

Billingham Hadley pro bag, Leica M4-2 , Leica M4-P 70 year anniversary, 40mmF1.4, 50mmF1.5, 28mmF2, 35mmF2.8, Minolta 4 flash meter, weston master V light meter, 5 rolls of Ilford HP5, 5 rolls Orwo UN54, 1 roll XP2, 1 roll Ektar 25, 2 rolls Kodak ortho

Last edited:
What I typically carry into the Great Unknown:

D600packpost.jpg~original

and what's all stuffed into it:

D600packexplodedpost.jpg~original

1. Stainless steel camping mirror
2. Spare batteries for flash, RF remote
3. Emergency cleaning kit (soft cloth, lens cleaner)
4. (partially obscured) B+W 77mm 10-stop Neutral Density filter
5. Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR II
6. (partially obscured) Gossen Starlite light meter
7. Battery charger
8. Delkin Devices SD holder w/ eight 16g Sandisk Class 10 95mBps cards
9. MC-DC1 wired remote shutter release
10. Nikon SB600 speedlite
11. Nikon WU-1b wireless mobile adapter and viewfinder cover (stored in 35mm canister)
12. Nikkor 10.5/2.8 fisheye
13. Nikkor 50/1.8 AF-D
14. Singh-Ray 77mm Variable Neutral Density filter
15. Heliopan 145 (58-77) and 147 (52-77) step up rings
16. 77mm Thin B+W circular polarizer
17. 52-52 macro ring
18. Nikkor 24-120/4 AF-G
19. Nikon D600
20. MB-D14 grip
21. Pixel RF remote
22. Spare RC2 tripod plate
23. Nikon speedlite mounting plate
24. ML-L3 IR remote
25. Tamron 1.4x teleconverter
26. Tamron 2.0x teleconverter
27. Nikon 1.7x teleconverter
28. Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AF-D
29. Kenko extension tube set
30. Nikkor 105/2.8 AF-D Micro
31. Robin Myers digital gray card
32. Microfiber cleaning cloth
33. Filter wrenches
34. Retracting lens brush
35. Misc. twisty ties
36. 5billion-in-one card reader
37. DGK color checker chart

All packed into a Think Tank Streetwalker.

This is basically my Grab-N-Go kit just to 'be prepared'. However, many times I carry far less. I typically use a single or double Black Rapid strap (depending on if I'm needing to shoot with 2 bodies or not), and a photographer's vest. Most times, I carry just one camera, 2 or 3 lenses, and a pocket of accessories. Tripod or monopod as needed.

I also have my smart phone, not only for the occasional use of a photo app, but also to connect to the camera through the WU-1b.

And, the most important thing of all: my brain.

Best I can figure a cruise for two to most places. But I'd rather have the D 600. 85 1.8 28. 1.8. 50 1.8. 24-85 And a70-300vr2.

What I typically carry into the Great Unknown:

and what's all stuffed into it:

1. Stainless steel camping mirror
2. Spare batteries for flash, RF remote
3. Emergency cleaning kit (soft cloth, lens cleaner)
4. (partially obscured) B+W 77mm 10-stop Neutral Density filter
5. Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR II
6. (partially obscured) Gossen Starlite light meter
7. Battery charger
8. Delkin Devices SD holder w/ eight 16g Sandisk Class 10 95mBps cards
9. MC-DC1 wired remote shutter release
10. Nikon SB600 speedlite
11. Nikon WU-1b wireless mobile adapter and viewfinder cover (stored in 35mm canister)
12. Nikkor 10.5/2.8 fisheye
13. Nikkor 50/1.8 AF-D
14. Singh-Ray 77mm Variable Neutral Density filter
15. Heliopan 145 (58-77) and 147 (52-77) step up rings
16. 77mm Thin B+W circular polarizer
17. 52-52 macro ring
18. Nikkor 24-120/4 AF-G
19. Nikon D600
20. MB-D14 grip
21. Pixel RF remote
22. Spare RC2 tripod plate
23. Nikon speedlite mounting plate
24. ML-L3 IR remote
25. Tamron 1.4x teleconverter
26. Tamron 2.0x teleconverter
27. Nikon 1.7x teleconverter
28. Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AF-D
29. Kenko extension tube set
30. Nikkor 105/2.8 AF-D Micro
31. Robin Myers digital gray card
32. Microfiber cleaning cloth
33. Filter wrenches
34. Retracting lens brush
35. Misc. twisty ties
36. 5billion-in-one card reader
37. DGK color checker chart

All packed into a Think Tank Streetwalker.

This is basically my Grab-N-Go kit just to 'be prepared'. However, many times I carry far less. I typically use a single or double Black Rapid strap (depending on if I'm needing to shoot with 2 bodies or not), and a photographer's vest. Most times, I carry just one camera, 2 or 3 lenses, and a pocket of accessories. Tripod or monopod as needed.

I also have my smart phone, not only for the occasional use of a photo app, but also to connect to the camera through the WU-1b.

And, the most important thing of all: my brain.

And this weeks winner of the 10 lbs of ****ake in a 2 lb bag is... lol

My camera (offcourse)
Tripod
Monopod
flashlight
spare battery's

Because i sometimes come in strange, decayed, creepy places for urbex-ing
dust masks
rubber gloves
helmet
first aid kit

My camera bag doubles as my purse... I carry a Lowepro Passport Sling (I think). I have my T2i with a Tamron 28-75 2.8 mounted and a 50mm1.8 and the kit 55-250. Right now I have a YN 460 flash, lens pen, rocket duster air thingy, spare battery and various other purse things....

I bought this bag to take to a baseball game.... its like a Mary Poppins bag... you can fit an amazing amount of stuff in there. It has stayed as my purse because I hate being somewhere and thinking "crap if I only had my good camera!".

...12. Wacom Tablet. It fits perfectly in the front zipper pocket of my bag, and I usually keep it there simply because it does fit so well. Great for on-the-go editing and retouching. 99% of the time if I'm doing any editing my camera bag will be with me.

Okay, that's the first time I've ever heard of anyone taking their tablet with them!

My "bag" is situationally dependent. Normal make-up is two bodies, 1 or 2 speedlights, light meter, appropriate lenses, X-rite Passport, batteries, CF cards and iPad.

Holy crap. You folks bring a lot of stuff with you!

What I bring with me depends on what I want to shoot, what I am testing, or where I'm going. I'll grab a camera off the shelf that is suited to what I want to shoot, or sometimes I'll grab two if I'm trying to kill a roll of film.

When I was in Europe for two weeks this past summer, I had my K1000, three lenses (50mm, 135mm, 28-80mm zoom), 20 rolls of film (I shot 14) and my Canon SX130 for filler shots. That felt like a lot.

Zoom kit - most likely to be used:
D700 and grip, 28-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, SB800 with Quantum battery pack and diffuser, spare battery, extra CF card, lens cloth, polarizing filter.

light weight kit - when travelling and being a tourist:
D700 no grip, 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 135/2.8, SB600 with spare AA's and diffuser, second battery, extra CF card, lens cloth.

minimalist kit - whenever I think I might want a camera around:
X100, extra battery, extra SD card.

My camera (Canon T3i) is in my bag WAY too much. I need to get it out more with either the 28-135mm, 70-200mm f/4L or the 50mm f/1.8. I have a sunpak speedlight and photix flash triggers, I have a cpl and a 4 stop nd filter, wireless remote. There is also a black rapid strap, covers and a couple of extra memory cards.

Holy crap. You folks bring a lot of stuff with you!

I have to for work since I never know what I am going to need and most of the time I am a long way from civilization.

For personal photos I pretty much bring an extra lens and a spare battery.

Lately I just carry in my Lowepro Photosport 200

- 70D
-70-200 f/4L
- Nifty Fifty or Tamron 17-50
- Flash
- Black Rapid strap
- Memory card wallet with 5-6 SD cards
- small moleskin notebook with pen
- Toque and gloves
- CPL filter

But, I've been mostly just doing walkabouts in marshes/walkways to get out and do something lately. This is the most basic stuff I would take with me.

Most reactions

Back