where you live

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to pose two questions, both pertaining to where you live.

A. How much does where you live (country, region whatever) effect your approach to photography. Methods, thoughts, ideals etc.

B. How much does where you live account for the type of photography you concentrate on. For example city scapes, landscapes, bird and animal, abstract.

A. I take pictures in snow. I don't like snow. It bothers me, but if I lived somewhere else of my choosing, I wouldn't be taking pictures in snow. We also lack a lot of more modern architecture around here, so I tend to focus on architectural details and things that aren't included in more modern buildings.

B. Because we're on the Fox River, there's opportunities to do pretty much all of the above within walking (read: 3-5 miles) distance. Last summer, as part of my recovery from surgery, I started plopping the kid in his stroller and walking all over the city, and at the end, we were averaging about 10 miles a day-marathon runners will laugh at me, but hey. It was something that needed to be done. Anyway, we have a rather scenic river valley that offers more natural scenes all the way to cityscapes and macro. There's bald eagles everywhere, but let's be honest-my Sigma isn't up to the challenge and nor is my 17-50 from the distance needed.

A. Very little; the bulk of my work is studio portraiture;

B. See above.

That said, when I do go somewhere different, I can spend days wandering the streets, shooting landscapes, etc, so perhaps if I'm totally objective, I could say that I don't often find much of interest to shoot in the area where I live.

Interesting questions.

A. How much does where you live (country, region whatever) effect your approach to photography. Methods, thoughts, ideals etc.

I'd say almost none. I've lived in a lot of places and I haven't noticed anything that is noticeably different in my shooting that relates to where I was living.

B. How much does where you live account for the type of photography you concentrate on. For example city scapes, landscapes, bird and animal, abstract.

Again, it doesn't really affect me in the sense that I now focus more on one genre than another, but it DOES affect me in the sense that I don't HAVE to limit myself. I have easy access to both rural, natural settings and urban settings, so I shoot whatever I feel like shooting. One week I'll do a bunch of nature shooting while walking in the woods, but the next week, I might hop a train to Manhattan and do some street shooting. And some days, I don't feel like going out at all, so I'll do some still life shots at home. So yes, where I live does account for my flexibility in my photography.

A. I focus on everything and anything within my hula hoop so where I am for the bulk of my time 100% effects my photography.
B. Again, 100%, I live in a rural area so that's what I shoot, it is what is available to me, if I was in the city the same would apply.

A. I'd say, since I focus on nature/bird photography and my kids - where I live totally affects my approach to photography.
B. I don't think I would have taken to bird photography so avidly if I didn't live in such a great place for birds. So there's that. It's also nice that there is virtually nothing about where I live that would LIMIT my photography either - I live in a major metropolitan area plopped at the edge of one of the world's greatest natural resources, with a World Heritage Biosphere bisecting right through the city. Pretty lucky that way.

A. Not much. I just prepare for the weather.

B. Greatly. Where I live is flat, poor and not very populated. This makes things like interesting vistas, cool street subjects and nice buildings hard to find. I spend most of my time driving around looking for stuff.

A. my approach certainly isn't affected by the place I live
B. big time! I started with landscapes, rivers, waterfalls etc. because that's the place where I live. Two rivers are just a few meters from my yard. Buildings- not interesting. Street - can't/wont do here. Birds and animals-not into that yet, but they'll wait for me

Most reactions

New Topics

Back