Which lens to buy!! Nikon...18-55 or 18-105

LovPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so i am going to buy the nikon D5200, the problem is i don't know which lens to buy with it. The 18-55 or the 18-105. I know both lenses are good, both are within my camera budget but Does anyone know which lens is the best overall and in terms if which produces better photos?

thanks

A better photographer produces better photos.
What about the lenses I don't know how lens' weight is important for you but if it's not a problem get 18-105 or even new 18-140 it's far better choice in terms of versatility and both are really sharp for the money. I have 18-105 and sigma 17-50. Of course sigma is better in low light situation but how often i miss aditional tele mm and as far 18-55 and 18-105 have the same maximal apertures (notice that with 18-105 you get larger aperture at 55 mm) i vote for 18-105. Thought it's havier.

I bought an 18-105mm a few weeks ago. I can't get over how good it is. I compare it to the Canon 24-105mmL for image quality. Build is only ok but good enough once nit abused. It is great value

Hi, thanks fir all the replies!

yes i have found that others who have both the 18-55 and 18-105 have said it is not worth paying extra for abbigger lens as they are practically the same, however i know that the 105 lens produces brighter and more sharper images. I want something that i am going to not want to upgrade at a later time because i am limited to what it can do. I am using the camera for both personal and business use but i want something that is going to make my photos look very professional . Will the 18-105 be better for me, weight is bot an issue

Both lenses are good for the money they cost but the 18-105mm is more practical due to its bigger range so the 18-105mm has my vote.

i agree, the 105mm will be much more versatile -- it's also a touch sharper than the 18-55, but nothing that you'll really notice; at least below 55mm ;)

Both these lenses will give you great pictures if you practice enough.

Hi, thanks fir all the replies!

yes i have found that others who have both the 18-55 and 18-105 have said it is not worth paying extra for abbigger lens as they are practically the same, however i know that the 105 lens produces brighter and more sharper images. I want something that i am going to not want to upgrade at a later time because i am limited to what it can do. I am using the camera for both personal and business use but i want something that is going to make my photos look very professional . Will the 18-105 be better for me, weight is bot an issue

What do you mean by professional exactly?

Not to be picky but the term gets thrown around a lot but doesn't mean anything more than somebody got paid. Now a Pro will get consistent results surely but an advanced amature is just as likely to nail a shot as a pro.

SO, is there a quality that you would like to emulate or just to be able to get consistent results?

Hi there, thanks for your reply,
what i mean by professional images, is clean, sharp,clear, good contrast.....and doesn't necessarily look like its been taken with an iPhone lets say :)

Any of them lenses will produce far better results then a iPhone. Both lenses are sharp but the 18-105 is the way to go for what was already said above.I shouldn't have to say it but I will,If you don't want cell phone snaps then use your DSLR like its a DSLR and not a cell phone.;)Just saying.

Last edited:
Well i haven't got my DSLR yet so ...

thanks for the reply, i think i will be going with the 18-105 after all :)
also does anyone have the nikon 18-105 lens, let me know how you find it :)

Well when you do have the D5200 and then lens,I am sure you going to adore it. I had the 18-105 with a D7000 a year ago it was sharp but unfortunately the camera seemed to have serious focus issue that was never resolved. I also had the 18-55 with a D3100 no problems and sharp as well.

I just sold my 18-55vr and got a 18-105vr. The added length is a huge bonus

Besides the extra range, does the 18-105 mm Nikkor offer any other advantages. Up to 55 mm, is the latter any better (or worse) than the former in terms of

1. Construction

2. AF speed

3. Distortion

4. Sharpness

5. Contrast

Most reactions

Back