Which one lens for a wedding?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes, I realize I'm going to get flamed for this one.... So be it.

I'm getting married soon, and my STB Wife's friend will be taking the pictures. She (the Wife) has complete confidence in her friend's ability to produce acceptable photos of the occaision, and I have resigned myself to the fact that I can't possibly afford anyone I will be happy with.

On to the issue..... This shooter will be using my equipment for a myriad of reasons (Nikon D7000). I really only have one AF lens anymore that is suitable 50mm F/1.8D, the rest are either AI (MF only) or kit lenses, and I'm not having my wedding shot with a kit lens.

If I were to rent One lens, what would it be? 24-70 f/2.8 or a 70-200 f2.8? My gut says that the 24-70 would be substantially more versatile, but the 70-200 would be missed, and there isn't any reason to rent both since there will be only one body. (which is another issue all together....:x)

The reception hall is not huge. This in and of itself leads me to believe that the 24-70 would be the correct choice.

Help.

Thanks.

That depends on the photos you want. I had some AWESOME ones taken from the back of the church through the archway up the pews to the alter of ours which is a distance. However I also had some that were taken from the balcony and zoomed in so it looked like the photographer was standing right infront of the alter. It is all upon what images you REALLY want captured.

My wedding photographer friend always have the 24-70 on his main camera and a wide lens on another. He also brings along a 70-200 lens on his bag.

That depends on the photos you want. I had some AWESOME ones taken from the back of the church through the archway up the pews to the alter of ours which is a distance. However I also had some that were taken from the balcony and zoomed in so it looked like the photographer was standing right infront of the alter. It is all upon what images you REALLY want captured.

Well yeah, of course it does. That's the dillemma. If I had two bodies to work with, I would just get both lenses. As it stands, I'm really only getting one.

I'm almost tempted to purchase a Nikon AF 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 and rent the 70-200, but to put a $4,000 deposit down on two lenses is more than I can handle right now. I'm only getting one.

Here is the scenario. Wedding taking place outside, in a park, by a fountain, in a small setting. Reception taking place ina a reception hall that is two rooms, both 20'x40' (yeah, I don't have a lot of friends, and don't need a lot of room.) I DO have a very nice Nikkor 135mm AI f/2.8 lens for portrait type shots where the photog can take their time with composition and MF, but I want to make sure that she has something nice and snappy AF wise for the reception and the ceremony.

Congrats on the wedding!

I'm friends with a wedding photographer and his main lens is the Nikon 24-120mm, I believe this is a very popular wedding lens. He's replacing it with the new 24-120mm constant aperture f/4 version.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing his website, =Welcome to Lowry Photo=

Good luck,
Scott

This really doesn't help answer your question, I don't know who you plan to rent from but calumet camera Digital cameras, lenses and photo gear at calumetphoto.com in Chicago will rent stuff without a deposit as long as you have homeowner's insurance and add them as a payee. Not sure if you are a homeowner, but they may do something with renter's insurance as well. Other places may have the same policy. This may allow you to rent a second body as well and help with your dilemma. Or with the money you save on the deposit you could buy a second body used and resell after the wedding and probably not lose much if you play the market right- maybe less than the rental cost.

by the way, congrats on the wedding!

as long as you have homeowner's insurance and add them as a payee.

Yeah, this isn't happening. Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not adding anyone as a payee to my homeowners..... it just makes me nervous. Besides, I have a $1,200 Deductible, so the difference is moot. I'm still out a truckload of cash if something were to happen. Also, I want to be at the store to test it when it's picked up and brought back so there isn't any of this "It was like that when you brought it back".... or "It worked when you picked it up..." nonsense.

And thanks for the congrats! Much appreciated!

At this point, I'm just thinking about getting the Nikon 24-70 f/3.5 to add to the Nikkor 135mm 2.8 and the 50mm 1.8 Af-D and calling it a day. I can just envision my dog knocking her over with a $2,300 lens and erasing my honeymoon. :lol:

Keep the suggestions rolling though.... please...... Any little tidbit of information is very helpful!

Are you having a unity candle or unity sand? anything like that? the only reason I ask is you probably want one of the lighting or pouring (lighting can be redone directly after the service,however, the pouring is a one shot drop). an Image that everyone really loved from my own wedding was my trane laid out and all of the boquets on it. Picture the Bride in the dress sitting trane laid out and flowers strategically (sp) placed around it.

Are you having a unity candle or unity sand? anything like that? the only reason I ask is you probably want one of the lighting or pouring (lighting can be redone directly after the service,however, the pouring is a one shot drop). an Image that everyone really loved from my own wedding was my trane laid out and all of the boquets on it. Picture the Bride in the dress sitting trane laid out and flowers strategically (sp) placed around it.

It's going to be a relatively laid back, untraditional wedding. No candles, sand or train....... Those pics sound lovely though!

I just dont understand why she will be using your equipment. I think that is a recipe for a disaster. She may break your equipment, she may not be familiar with the controls, plus we have no idea what kind of skill level she is. If she is good, I would think she would be using her own equipment. Something doesnt make sense here.

I just dont understand why she will be using your equipment. I think that is a recipe for a disaster. She may break your equipment, she may not be familiar with the controls, plus we have no idea what kind of skill level she is. If she is good, I would think she would be using her own equipment. Something doesnt make sense here.

Lots of things don't make sense here, but it is what it is. She has shot a couple of weddings before, but is more unprepared than I am (allegedly) equipment wise. That is my understanding of the situation. I have yet to sit down with her and chat, so the information I have is second hand. I simply want to be prepared as possible to give her access to the best I can afford, so she can make the best of it with the skillset she has.

That's all I can do.

Not everyone here can afford 2-5 thousand dollars for a wedding photographer. Believe me... I would love to.... but other things like food and shelter for the reception have eaten away the budget. The Wifey wants her friend to take the pictures, she is happy with the quality, that is good enough for me. Lets not dwell on what does or doesn't make sense here, trust me....... I get it.

Im sure it will be perfect, and I will get exactly what I paid for, if not more.

I think if I understood you correctly earlier the reason for the above is due to you having the better camera? Am I correct?

I think if I understood you correctly earlier the reason for the above is due to you having the better camera? Am I correct?

Apparently. Like I said, this is second hand information. This person might be having issues with her equipment, maybe she only wants mine as a backup...... I have yet to talk with her, which will hopefully happen soon. I'm just trying to be as prepared as I am able to be without spending a fourtune. That's all.

Also not the original question. This is GOING to happen. Come Hell or high water, it's GOING to happen. All I can do is feed it as best I can, and help to the best of my ability. I'd shoot it if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

Besides... I might be worrying over nothing. She might present us with a fantastic album full of wonderful memories that are beautifully exposed and composed. I'm just of the expect the worst and hope for the best generation.

Well, I want to send you my congrats!! Getting married is definately an experience! If you have any questions as far as weding prep. feel free to message me! :)

"I'm not having my wedding shot with a kit lens. "
Why not? Some of Nikon's 'kit' lenses are excellent. I often use their 16-85 on my crop factor camera.
It's razor sharp and outperforms my friends Canon L series glass.
So it's not a constant aperture-big deal! A good photographer will still make brilliant photos with even a 'kit' lens.

Most reactions

Back