Which system is right for me?

I am interested in the mirrorless systems, but am not sure which system to invest in.

If a full frame sensor ends up being a high priority, I don't really see a strong case for the A7 over another full frame sensor DSLR. The size of the Sony FE lenses negates much of the size advantage of going mirrorless. FE lens selection is also limited with the best lenses (Zeiss) carrying a hefty price. Of course, you can adapt Sony Alpha lenses but then, once again, that makes the setup even larger... practically the size of a Sony Alpha. You also sacrifice much of the AF performance when compared to a DSLR.

I have the Sony A7R but I don't have any FE lenses... its a camera purely used for adapting lenses to its sensor. Size wise, micro4/3rds is the ideal balance for me. Might not be the strongest performer in high ISO but its smaller than any DSLR system (lens + body) and practically all APS based mirrorless. It has a huge selection of bodies of different configurations and lenses of different types.... something for everyone.

I'd take gsgary's advice even further and say FF DSLR..... maybe the A99 if its the Sony sensor you really like. A7 and A99 are bodies are about the same price with the A99 having a better selection of lenses.

My point was they should be questioning whether or not mirrorless meets their needs.... Its not really logical to invest in a mirrorless camera system for the sake of simply using a mirrorless camera.

In my opinion, the Sony DSLRs have a better value proposition than any of the A7* cameras with FE lenses.

A7 probably your best option except if you are not into making other lenses work on it the lens choice isn't great or cheap. Fuji have great lenses, and their sensors do well at higher iso, the micro 4/3rds system has an amount of lenses, maybe your extra stop or more you get with fullframe such as a7 can be made up with by a m4/3 fast lens in a small affordable package with IS built into body if you go Olympus

The main thing I am concerned about is good customer service.
Then, unfortunately, I would have to redirect you to Canon or Nikon full frame for best customer support.

AFAICS none of the mirrorless cameras have especially good customer support, or at least I havent heard of that from anyone.

Unless you mean support from the shop in which you buy the camera; then just buy any camera in a trustworthy store near you and be done with it; after all, its the advantage of such stores that they'll help you with problems, even if their offers arent as cheap as stuff you can find online.

IMHO Sony E is a bad idea because of bad and/or overpriced lens selection. If you dont mind that, go ahead. They have pretty good video, apparently.

IMHO Samsung is a bad idea because you will sadly archive the status of betatester. If you dont mind that, go ahead. Their system is certainly AMBITIOUS (especially if you listen to their spokespeople interviews) but their stuff has still quite funny problems with basic stuff, such as not being able to focus in low light. Their NX1 already has 4K video.

Both your disliked Olympus/Panasonic 4/3 and the Fuji X cameras will have good lens selection and solid products; but note that especially Fuji demands quite high prices for their nevertheless excellent glas. Especially the Panasonic GH4 is apparently an excellent 4k video camera.

Why are you not interested in Micro 4/3? I think they are a huge player in the mirrorless system industry.

I shoot often indoors and in low light. I like the better iso capabilities of the bigger sensors.
In that case Sony A7

Yea, you really can't go wrong with the A7. I have only had the chance to use one a few times, but for all intents and purposes it is an amazing camera. I would put it's image image quality up against any canon or nikon full frame. I think it's low light performance is reasonably on par with the other major players as well. gsgary has some A7 shots at high iso that are amazing.

Most reactions

Back