Why do people prefer saturated images? and is this good or bad in todays digital age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is 7 years old.

I think the saturation fade is like bokeh, or full contrast black and white street photos, or photo-shopping sky lines into pictures etc. etc. It is the thing to do. The latest novelty, an attempt at photo arts, our you supply the reason.

The point is, people find enjoyment on doing so and will continue to do so in the future. Some of these methods may even become standard practice.

However, like many photographers. I discovered that my super whizz bang digital will also take the kind of photos I like, regardless of any current trend.

If I could guess the latest fade, I would have bet on bottled water :)

Nothing like digging up threads from 2013!!!

zombiethread1.jpg

I like Velvia 50, colors that pop. If you really want to see pop, check out Ken Rockwell's photos. I think he shoots digital at +4 saturation.

Lord I was so hoping that this one would die.

The original op was about saturation on cell phones.

OK. In my ever never ending pursuit of useless information, I read in a book on photography written int eh 1960's and updated twice, (back when people were actually educated, but I digress) (so I have a tendency to believe it over contemporary Youtube inspired Bull Trout),
was that the film 9or in today';s case digital sensor) is actually recording what is ACTUALLY there.
NOT what we THINK is there.

Bear with me.

Here is an example of where I am going with this.. What color are the dogs?
color illusion trick - Bing images

Our eyes and brains deceive us. Look at impeachment!

Seriously though, what we THINK is the right color, or what we THINK looks really good, saturated, correct etc, is all in our teeny tiny non-vulcan brains.

AMOLED, LCD, Cathode Ray, three color or whatever is all subjective.

I use a calibrated monitor from NEC. I hope they see OK. :)

Seriously. I try not to oversaturate. When I get to the point that I think someone will notice, I'll back off a little. So the colors are saturated, but only to the point that they still look normal. Does that make sense?
Here's my Velvia 50's Search: velvia | Flickr

I tend to always oversaturate, which is why my plants always die.

I am oversaturated with this topic.

Hoping this one would die? Then let it die. Just...let it go...

Maybe you'll need to get out the 'official' TPF padlock!

But it’s so much fun; a thread overfilled with overreactions to oversaturated images with lots of overly, and overtly, annoying side comments.

But it’s so much fun; a thread overfilled with overreactions to oversaturated images with lots of overly, and overtly, annoying side comments.

That's a bit over the top.

Some solid Velvia images, Alan Klein!

Astia and Velvia fought in what was it? 1999 at The Bellagio in UFC 9? OR am I confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back