why does no one have anything good to say?

The long term problem with situations 1 & 2 is that, inevitably someone, often someone who doesn't seem to know much more than the poster, will chime in and say something like I like 1 but cut off a bit at the bottom, I like 2 but it is too dark and so.

God that sounds eerily familiar! lol!

One must learn both the error of ones ways and the rightness of their actions in order to progress.

In short teaching someone only the error of their ways, or in this case only focusing upon the incorrect parts of a photo (be they technical or compositional) can only help a person so far. We often go into critique and give our critical evaluation because pointing out the wrong parts is often, both easier and also what many actually want. Unspoken is the thought that we assume that the photographer already knows the good points without their mention - however (as is often the case with novices) the photographer might not be aware of what specific parts of a photo are good as well as what are bad.

Thus taking the time to point out both sides of the argument is helping them twice over to further their understanding.

The argument that they will only read the good and ignore the bad is mostly pointless in my view. If they are only looking for and focus on the one side of the spectrum then they'll only look at those parts and what you put, if in conflict to what they are looking for, will simply be ignored. I always approach critique as something first for the photographer being critiqued, but secondly also for others reading the post as well. I don't really mind if a photographer takes on board my suggestions or not and I refuse to get hung up if my critique is not considered the holy grail. I only ever seek to put forth my view and to, when asked or initially, put forth as much of my reasoning for my viewpoint as I am able to give.

Life is greatly about learning who to and who not to listen to - but its very hard to not listen to someone who makes a clear and reasoned argument/observation. Justification and explanation of critique can also help to further a persons learning because they are not only learning what is wrong, but why, what that view is based upon etc.... This gives them far far more to work with next time they go out shooting.

whenever i post anything for C&C everyone focuses on the bad, i understand how important it is to know what needs to be fixed and corrected but to not say anything about a photo is good whatsoever is just insulting in my opinion.

its this that has shied me away from this for quite some time in search of more supportive ways to improve my skills

If I had any interest in generic back-patting, I'd show my images to my wife or my parents.

I don't post anything here looking for a "Dude, you're the best photographer ever!". I just want to be told by other skilled professionals how I can improve on my technique and artistic vision. If somebody wants to say, "Great shot!" or something, that's cool. But that's not why I'm here.

"Support" from an anonymous online photography forum is irrelevant to me.

That's just my $0.02...

EDIT:

I should probably clarify that I'm every bit as frustrated as you by the small-minded cowards who love to hide behind their keyboards and type out a$$hole-ish things in the name of "C&C" that they'd never say to ANYONE in person. I'm trying to learn to ignore those types of comments in the same way I'd ignore a mouthy pre-teen. The pathetic people who make comments like that have serious self-worth issues...

If support is worthless to you then so is critique. Especially in the long run.
This is because you can get fixated upon the idea that there is ALWAYS something wrong with your photos, and if you always discount the support/compliments, then you are like to end up feeling greatly frustrated even though your photography will have progressed to a very good standard.

Again, you've got to consider who is saying what - you've got to consider where and who the viewpoint comes from; be that online or in the real world.

Last edited:

If support is worthless to you then so will critique. Especially in the long run.
This is because you can get fixated upon the idea that there is ALWAYS something wrong with your photos, and if you always discount the support/compliments, then you are like to end up feeling greatly frustrated even though your photography will have progressed to a very good standard.

Again, you've got to consider who is saying what - you've got to consider where and who the viewpoint comes from; be that online or in the real world.

I agree that hyper self-critique can be detrimental. I should probably clarify that when I say "support", what I really mean is the generic "nice shot", "great set" or other similar comments that 80% of the members here consistently offer.

When a member here, especially one who's previous commentary and posted images are high quality, makes specific compliments as to concept, composition, exposure, etc., that's the sort of positive critique I really appreciate.

gryphonslair99 said:
You are causing yourself too much work then. Pints and wings ADD up to lots of trips to the Pissor.

Shots and Double shots only causes a short trip down to the floor. :lol:
Irish carbombs will get you there sooner

Most reactions

New Topics

Back