Witch Of The Forest

What a doll baby. I would have to guess she is a grandpas girl

#2!

#1 looks like the shutter speed was too slow.

Yup, that and DOF. I was shooting aperture priority up close, zoomed out, which didn't give me much room for error. The intent was to follow the eye nearest the camera, but I think I split the difference, plus the fill from the reflector completely changed when she turned and the self adjusting auto reflector was zoning out. :chuncky: Immediately after I upped to ISO 800, which is what I should have been at initially. You get in a groove of doing things a certain way in studio then go outside, and you have to play catch up sometimes.

Yup, that and DOF. I was shooting aperture priority up close, zoomed out, which didn't give me much room for error. The intent was to follow the eye nearest the camera, but I think I split the difference, plus the fill from the reflector completely changed when she turned and the self adjusting auto reflector was zoning out. :chuncky: Immediately after I upped to ISO 800, which is what I should have been at initially. You get in a groove of doing things a certain way in studio then go outside, and you have to play catch up sometimes.

Have you considered setting the shutter speed and aperture manually and shooting Auto ISO? You can set an upper limit on the ISO... I find A priority to be troublesome unless I really watch the shutter speed the camera is choosing. If you're not watching it closely you don't realize it dropped too low until you miss the shot.

Have you considered setting the shutter speed and aperture manually and shooting Auto ISO? You can set an upper limit on the ISO... I find A priority to be troublesome unless I really watch the shutter speed the camera is choosing. If you're not watching it closely you don't realize it dropped too low until you miss the shot.

Normally I'm shooting full manual inside where I can control the light. Outside I'm in P using EV. The P mode and the "magic green button" on Pentax is a hyper auto program mode. If you don't like what it picks touch the aperture dial, and you're in AF, change the shutter you're in TV, change ISO and you're SV. Or you can pick two or go full hyper manual. Touch the "green button" you're right back on full auto. The buttons/dials are so well laid out that I can switch without ever taking my eye away from the view finder. The ISO can be set to either a range (auto) or limit. Most of the time I set it to limit, because Pentax seems to favor bumping ISO higher then necessary over using a slower shutter speed. Also, I find it easier in processing to have them all at one ISO. The 2nd shot you liked with ISO 800, it picked 1/250 on shutter which was plenty for the scene. The first one was a slip for me as explained above.

My point was that, you want to be the one who sets the shutter speed, not your camera, especially if your subject is not stationary.

My point was that, you want to be the one who sets the shutter speed, not your camera, especially if your subject is not stationary.

No I understand what you're saying, and in some cases I'd do the same thing. In this particular instance I wanted the aperture fixed for limiting DOF, and by fixing ISO I was able to let the shutter float within an acceptable range (1/160-1/250) for the shot. With one ISO it was easy to sharpen and reduce noise then sync everything the same.

I like the closeup shots and they are a great addition to the other full body shots. #3 is my favorite.

I like the closeup shots and they are a great addition to the other full body shots. #3 is my favorite.

Thanks Cheryll! Rather then print a couple of prints then spend $$ on frames, the grandmothers and mother have latched on to the photo book idea. They can get a lot of prints in a nice keepsake book for about the price of a couple of prints and frames. We have our walls covered with prints, and will continue with some, but the I find myself leaning more toward the book idea as well.

Thanks Cheryll! Rather then print a couple of prints then spend $$ on frames, the grandmothers and mother have latched on to the photo book idea. They can get a lot of prints in a nice keepsake book for about the price of a couple of prints and frames. We have our walls covered with prints, and will continue with some, but the I find myself leaning more toward the book idea as well.

I thought about printing a book as a gift. My Aunt received one of her grand daughter's wedding photos, but the binding wasn't too good. A few pages fell out. It was a Google book. If you go the book route I hope you write a review.

I thought about printing a book as a gift. My Aunt received one of her grand daughter's wedding photos, but the binding wasn't too good. A few pages fell out. It was a Google book. If you go the book route I hope you write a review.

I did a down and dirty (cheap) book as a surprise gift for granddaughter, from Walgreens. I was actually quite surprised at the way it turned out. It was way better then I expected. The binding was pretty good because when mom and grandmothers saw it, I thought they were going to tear it apart fighting over it. LOL I'm trying to set up a better quality one from Nations now, that will be a year will hold the year.

Snapfish and Shutterfly both have decent quality photo books. I scanned all our old family photos and made photo books for both of my brothers since I ended up with all the family photo albums here (they came with my mom when she moved in).

Have you thought of gallery or float wraps? A little more expensive than paper prints, but 100% frame-free!

Most reactions

Back