Women shooting alone in remote locations or at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
uploadfromtaptalk1445438521692.jpg

I'm overly paranoid (though I'm a guy -- I'm just paranoid about being robbed) so I always shoot in locations that are either generally safe (National Park) or near people (popular trail/park, near a busy road).

When I used to live in a big city I would go to a popular park in the morning/evening for nighttime/sunrise/sunset shots. There were always a lot of people around. If you can't do this, I would at least be very aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions (pepper spray?)

Of course, where I live now, the biggest threat isn't people but injuring myself on a hike (slipping/falling on steep or wet terrain), getting trapped in severe weather or getting attacked by wildlife! For these, like dangerous people, you just have to take precautions (tell someone where you're going, for example).

Of course, where I live now, the biggest threat isn't people but injuring myself on a hike (slipping/falling on steep or wet terrain)

^Truth!
I have had WAY more "close calls" when out alone by doing something stupid than by anyone suspicious around me.
I went down to a local refuge area a couple of years ago--this is a spot that during the late fall and winter has thousands of sandhill cranes that winter there, along with a huge variety of ducks.
It was early in the season, but it was the last day you could actually get access to the refuge and walk around--once the sandhills arrive en force, they restrict visitors to just the observation area at the edge of the reserve.

There were some Cranes coming in that day, quite a few of them--as well as some ducks out on the water and a couple of bald eagles. So I started working my way down towards the water. I wanted to reach a particular spot I'd seen that the ducks seemed to favor and that had a good view of some of the cranes as they came flying in. I decided that I could cut across through a small wooded section and it would be much shorter than trying to keep on the little trail I was following. I should KNOW by now that any time my enthusiasm comes up with the idea of leaving a trail, it is probably a BAD plan.

I ended up having to forge a couple of creeks, climb over tree trunks, squeeze through little bitty openings. Finally, at one point, I'm trying to claw my way over and around some fallen tree trunks AND a small creek, and I thought, "If you manage to fall and break your leg here, it will probably be the death of you, you know. They will close the gates tomorrow morning and won't find your cold, dead body until spring."

I did manage to successfully navigate the wooded obstacle course...but I took the much longer, and much safer, trail going back toward the parking lot. :D

Of course, where I live now, the biggest threat isn't people but injuring myself on a hike (slipping/falling on steep or wet terrain)

^Truth!
I have had WAY more "close calls" when out alone by doing something stupid than by anyone suspicious around me.
I went down to a local refuge area a couple of years ago--this is a spot that during the late fall and winter has thousands of sandhill cranes that winter there, along with a huge variety of ducks.
It was early in the season, but it was the last day you could actually get access to the refuge and walk around--once the sandhills arrive en force, they restrict visitors to just the observation area at the edge of the reserve.

There were some Cranes coming in that day, quite a few of them--as well as some ducks out on the water and a couple of bald eagles. So I started working my way down towards the water. I wanted to reach a particular spot I'd seen that the ducks seemed to favor and that had a good view of some of the cranes as they came flying in. I decided that I could cut across through a small wooded section and it would be much shorter than trying to keep on the little trail I was following. I should KNOW by now that any time my enthusiasm comes up with the idea of leaving a trail, it is probably a BAD plan.

I ended up having to forge a couple of creeks, climb over tree trunks, squeeze through little bitty openings. Finally, at one point, I'm trying to claw my way over and around some fallen tree trunks AND a small creek, and I thought, "If you manage to fall and break your leg here, it will probably be the death of you, you know. They will close the gates tomorrow morning and won't find your cold, dead body until spring."

I did manage to successfully navigate the wooded obstacle course...but I took the much longer, and much safer, trail going back toward the parking lot. :D

Your story reminds me. On my longest hike to date with a good amount of gear on my back, I stood and stared at a creek edge for 15 minutes. I kept contemplating whether or not to jump over (maybe 4 ft wide) or not. The distance was not the issue. However, everywhere my foot could land was wet and muddy. I thought about getting the gear muddy, the camera wet, my head bumped, no cell service (in that exact spot), and the fact that I was below a dirt embankment so nobody on the trail I was hoping to reach, would see me.

It was only 4 stinking feet across. My regular stride walking is probably a yard. Anyway, common sense finally won out. If only I would have chosen that side of the trail 2 miles earlier where I had a choice. Ten or fifteen years ago, I would have done it with no hesitation at all.

There are some great hiking trails around me, and they've become very very popular with the "Weekend Warrior" population from NYC. These days during the summer and especially the fall (what with the foliage and all), there are hordes and hordes of them who rent cars and drive very poorly up to the trail heads, or hop on the trains to get to the many trails that are within walking distance of the stations.

Needless to say, there are now rescue missions almost every single weekend. Apparently, some of these "Warriors" believe that heels or flip flops are good shoes to wear while hiking up a trail called Breakneck Ridge. :048:

you need one of these :)
03292013_weapons_flame_thrower.jpg

But seriously, that's creepy. Very creepy. I carry a can of pepper spray, a large knife, and a very bright flashlight with me any time I go out shooting at dark. I'm paranoid, and scared of strangers..........even though I'm 6'4" and 260lbs lol. I'm probably not anywhere near an ideal target for most muggers but that doesn't stop me from maintaining a high level of situational awareness, and carrying some self defense items.

Be safe out there!

Apparently I missed some action while I was working. Stupid real life getting in the way of my Internet life!!

I'm glad we've moved from crystal balls back to personal safety issues but have to say Limr you're ironic quote post made me literally lol.

Getting hurt while in a remote location is much more likely to be a problem than stranger danger. There have been plenty of times that I've had to forego a great spot because I wasn't sure I could get to it safely. Based on many of the pics in the Landscape gallery I think we have quite a few daredevils on this site. Hopefully they're young and free of other responsibilities. As a single mom of a 12 year old I can't be taking chances which is why I'll be sticking to less secluded locations from now on and why I'll have to skip that sunrise from the top of a mountain or late night in the city shot unless I go with a friend or group.

Early in this thread (I can't seem to find the post now), someone made a comment about wearing a whistle on a cord around your neck. If you do this, I'd recommend making sure the cord was some sort of "easy break" cord. Otherwise, you're just giving the bad guy another tool that he can use against you.

The biggest thing with a lot of personal safety elements like whistles, noise alarms, mace/pepperspray, martial arts is not the item itself. It's actually using it in good time.

Loud noises work to draw attention to yourself which can work so long as:
1) You do it well in advance so that the "attacker" or risky person isn't well within reach - otherwise many might advance to silence rather than retreat to avoid.

2) There are people around to hear. Remember even in towns at certain times there will be quiet spots - again an attacker will feel empowered by this to continue rather than retreat

Mace/pepperspray/guns/martial arts is again something where you've GOT to be prepared to use it. Otherwise its not going to do you any good other than a bluff; and you've got to be confident to bluff someone that you will seriously use it.
Any weapon you don't use upon them is simply something that you give to your attacker to use upon you; and any weapon/item you don't know how to use properly is, again, something you just give to them (knives are a fantastic example of this where generally speaking most people carrying one are more likely to get stabbed by their own knife than another persons).

This also comes down to your situational awareness and being calm whilst panicked. Panicked people do stupid things; mostly because your general reactions and thoughts become very short term and look for quick escape points; even if long term thinking about it would result in them being poor choices for an escape.
Being aware of your surroundings helps a lot; it helps you avoid walking into a risky spot where you might be attacked at close range without much warning; or where you are out of sight of others; or where there is little chance to escape to an area of higher population/attention.

This is where self defence classes come in; not so much because you've got strength and skills to fight; but more because you've the confidence that you can. With that comes the ability to calm yourself more easily and with that the ability to think clearly about your situation and plan ahead more readily when in the moment.

Early in this thread (I can't seem to find the post now), someone made a comment about wearing a whistle on a cord around your neck. If you do this, I'd recommend making sure the cord was some sort of "easy break" cord. Otherwise, you're just giving the bad guy another tool that he can use against you.

Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back