Workforce.....

Derrel, I think there may be two aspects to this idea. I fully undertsand your thoughts and I agree that the pre 9am'ers were probably (deperate) go-getters. But, to some extent, it may also indicate on a very basic level the applicant can't/won't follow simple directions. It's one of those things hiring managers have to expect when jobs are posted.

See, I like you even better, because I am the one who was being a smart ass about the situation. I agree with you. In these days and times with massive unemployment and our economy in shambles, with families teetering on the brink of disaster, how absolutely disgusting is it to read about the trials and tribulations of someone having to deal with the great unwashed. Same thing with George. Whew, boy, I really feel for them, don't you?

They have no clue, no compassion, and no sense of common decency.
I have to hire people that will help my company stay successful. I have to pick through hundreds of candidates to fill one slot. It's not about compassion or a sense of decency.

The only thing you need from me is to be qualified for the job, be available to work in the city the job is in, be able to work the shift I am hiring for, and be willing to work for the money I can pay.

It's really not that complicated and it doesn't have anything to do with compassion.

I had some very nice people who really needed a job apply. Some of them had very compelling stories, but if they can't tell me what voltage a typical receptacle is, I can't exactly hire them for an electrical position. When they can't tell me what refrigerant does in an A/C system, I can't exactly hire them for an HVAC position.

You'll have to forgive me, but it makes absolutely no sense for somebody who cannot do a job to waste my time and theirs by applying for it anyway. There time would be better served applying for jobs that they might actually get.

As far as the OP's case, it seems it's a bit different. I'm guessing she wasn't looking for skilled labor, so I guess any of her applicants had a shot.

20 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Job. Now we have no hope, no cash, no job.

It is supposed to be - "10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Bill Gates. Now we have no job, no cash, no hope but bills!"

Derrel honey the people that called before 9am were not hung up on. Sorry for exaggerating the "pretty much hung up on".
They were given a very short version of come fill out an application or asked to call back. Calling my work after 9am was very important because we are EXTREMELY busy before then. We do not have time to spend on the phone. So in the end, we very well might be hiring one of these people because we didn't even have the time to take their names.

Since you seem to have me pegged as "Ms. Better Than All" lets just have a look at the rest of my day.

I got so many good applicants that I'm going to be hiring 2 people now for positions that won't even start for 2 months. That's right we are hiring people for jobs we don't even have yet. They will start w/ in the next week.

I called back 2 people w/ 4 yr. degrees (that we couldn't use) and told them about another school they should apply to and called the school to let them know I was sending them their way. (horrible person I am)

Last edited:
You are right sir!! I've learned a tough lesson.

I vent to my dog while we run.

Before PETA fanatics jump on my case for that seemingly innocent statement, Please note that I am not screaming at my poor abused dog while running. Nor am I beating, starving, dehydrating, and otherwise abusing her.

Pets are just a great way to vent, you could talk all day and they're happy to listen!

Yeah. For every 5 people that support a rant, there will be one that doesn't. There are always two sides. I partially agree with Derrel. I also agree with GG. I feel the same way about following directions, and using that as an indicator. At the same time, I have had to work around a current job to get another.

It's good to see another side that we may not have thought of. It helps us grow as people. I still have lotsa growing to do. :D

I might have to try that next time....lol

Yeah. For every 5 people that support a rant, there will be one that doesn't. There are always two sides. I partially agree with Derrel. I also agree with GG. I feel the same way about following directions, and using that as an indicator. At the same time, I have had to work around a current job to get another.

It's good to see another side that we may not have thought of. It helps us grow as people. I still have lotsa growing to do. :D

Yes, we will never be fully mentally matured as long as there is another person in the world.

Derrel honey...SNIP...

Your condescending attitude shows itself yet again by addressing me as "honey"....

I can just imagine how you deal with the people you consider beneath your station, eager for the pathetic $9 an hour jobs you're lording over them...

I am amazed that you're involved in personnel decisions and or hiring. Perhaps you ought to send your rant to your boss; maybe your little tirade would help change your pay grade or job position at whatever place you work!

Best of luck to you.

Perhaps you ought to send your rant to your boss; maybe your little tirade would help change your pay grade or job position at whatever place you work!

Her boss may feel exactly the same way about the situation. As may many other bosses in similar situations. Just sayin'.

Must be the full moon... Im 100% sure.

20 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Job. Now we have no hope, no cash, no job.

Hahaha I saw this the other day but the person added "I hope Kevin Bacon doesn't die.."

I worked at a pet store for a while, I was the administrator and was responsible for hiring people so I know what you're going through! I really wish it was legal to slap people.

AAaahhhh.....:hug::

I can see I have angered you to a point that can't be salvaged. I'm sorry that you have this horrible picture in your mind of who I am. I will take fault for that, I should of never posted a "rant". I've learned a valuable lesson.
Best of luck to you too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back