Workforce.....

mishele

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My work is currently hiring and I'm in charge of a lot of the details. I've been taking phone calls, reviewing applications and having mini interviews this week. The pay for the jobs is around $9.00 per hour.
You could not believe the crazy people I have encountered this week!!

Phones calls.....

The ad in the paper said to call after 9am.
At least 15 people called before 9am. They were pretty much hung up on.
People that didn't have a pen and paper ready for info. on location.
People expecting me to give them a road by road directions on how to get to our location.
I had people hang up on me after I told them we did not have city transportation to the location.
This takes the cake....Some guy asked me if I might pay him under the table so he doesn't lose his benefits!!!

Applications/interviews....
I had someone ask me if they had to put there last job down.....I said yes....they preceded to tell me why they got fired and how unfair it was.
Another person just left after finding out they needed to be fingerprinted!!
Had someone actually ask me if we do drug tests.
I was told by someone that they prolly wouldn't work here long because they would still be looking for a better job.
I had 13 people w/ 4 year degrees wanting a $9.00 an hour job!!! That's sad.

In all I got about 55 applications for a FT $9.00 an hour job.

Some more call backs tomorrow!! Can't wait!!

You'd get just as much for $8/hr, I wouldn't post your number either just let them email you hiring people is a pain. I have to agree with the fingerprinting person, I would've done the same thing. I've had interviews where I flew to another country for ,background and credit checks done but nobody ever finger printed me. I'll get finger printed for a concealed carry permit but other than that I see no reason.

20 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Job. Now we have no hope, no cash, no job.

It's a state requirement that your staff is fingerprinted.....=)
I wish I could just say e-mail me but that is a bigger mistake!!! I would like to see who is going to take the time to come out and see me face to face. I can also get a feel for if I would like to call them in for a interview.

Was the request for directions really that unreasonable? Come on. I understand you wouldn't want to do that for all applicants but it wasn't for all of them now was it?

I can understand how you could think that was a little harsh....=) But I did try for about 5 minutes to give the person landmarks and detailed directions. They still were not able to even get to the town where we are located. I did finally ask them to try to mapquest us, they didn't have a computer. At that point, I told her she could go to a local library and use their computer. She never made it here in the end.
I think I went over and above to get her here......lol

I have had to do interviews, and believe me, hiring another in-home pet sitter is the worst. Not only do I look for professionalism, but they also have to have a friendly demeanor and be an animal lover. I have to trust this person completely. We have a process though, so less headache.
We send out our ad with email address provided only, to see if they can write decently. We delete all the scary ones and those without a resume attached. We don't care about perfect grammar, but they will be required to leave handwritten notes after each pet visit so the ability to form proper sentences is a must.
Then, if you pass that, there is a phone interview with my boss or myself. We have a list of requirements to check off, number one: transportation. We prefer cars over SUVs but if they happen to have a gas guzzler, we remind them of the amount of driving around this position requires.
The last test is a personal interview where we discuss what is expected, go over the contract, answer any questions about taxes for an independent contractor and hopefully, offer them a position. We have the personal interview in home. Both my boss and I have pets, and we use them to determine if the person is really a pet lover.
A lot of the time, people just want ANY job (like the ones who applied for your position with degrees), so at first they pass with flying colors only to burn out from too much.

I agree that it is aggravating when the people applying don't even try, but chin up! It's all apart of the selection process! It takes us months to find a suitable sitter.

I can understand how you could think that was a little harsh....=) But I did try for about 5 minutes to give the person landmarks and detailed directions. They still were not able to even get to the town where we are located. I did finally ask them to try to mapquest us, they didn't have a computer. At that point, I told her she could go to a local library and use their computer. She never made it here in the end.

Yeah...

Before the internet, I always had maps, and would visit the location before hand, so if I got lost, or had issues, I would have it sorted out before the interview. All you need is an address, and a map. Doesn't take a brainiac!

You would be surprised how many people don't understand the concept of numbered streets, and how they relate to addresses in almost every city.
You know, that the numbers get bigger moving away from the city center?

It's surprising college grads aggressively seek 9 bux an hour. ****edited off****

Here in Tampa admin clerks and janitors (for the most part) make well over 9 bux an hour. I suspect even the illegals keeping our orange groves picked make about that.

Last edited:
It's surprising college grads aggressively seek 9 bux an hour. Obama promised to fix this whole job thing.

Here in Tampa admin clerks and janitors (for the most part) make well over 9 bux an hour. I suspect even the illegals keeping our orange groves picked make about that.

wow.....

Just had to throw politics into the thread huh? lol But I won't talk about the JOB BILL that the Republicans just blocked....lol:greenpbl::hug::

No Mishele I didn't intend for a political plug, matter of fact I'll crop that out right now :)

Yeah...

Before the internet, I always had maps, and would visit the location before hand, so if I got lost, or had issues, I would have it sorted out before the interview. All you need is an address, and a map. Doesn't take a brainiac!

You would be surprised how many people don't understand the concept of numbered streets, and how they relate to addresses in almost every city.
You know, that the numbers get bigger moving away from the city center?

And it's not just the fact you didn't "Help" him find his way. As Bitter stated, if you truly care about the job (which you should if you are applying), then you would know where you are going, arrive early, and be prepared. People sometimes just seem to want everything done for them.

At least you are getting applicants that actually want a job. Last position I filled, more than 75% of the applicants were over qualified, under qualified, not even in the same field as I am, or not willing to relocate.

So, why would somebody who lives in Illinois apply for a job in Dallas who isn't remotely qualified and is not willing to relocate? Ding Ding Ding...so they can keep collecting unemployment. Freaking scum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back