Would you make the switch?

I'm doing the same thing this summer. Selling all my Nikon gear and moving to canon. Mostly because my school is canon sponsored and I can rent canon gear for free till I can afford to buy.

Sold my car today, I get to make my "big purchase" around the end of next week :mrgreen:

Canon might supposedly be doing some mail-in rebates on gear too, so that'll take some of the bite off the purchase.

So, I've decided on: New 5D, Used 20D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 F4L, 430EX and a used 420EX. I'm pretty excited :D

That leaves me enough to stay on my feet for a while and get a much cheaper car. I think it'll be a good trade off to be honest.

Congrats...

Are you sure you don't wanna wait for 5D MII... hehehe lol I'm joking.

Question.... why a 430EX and a used 420EX? Doesn't it make sense to have a used 550EX or new 580EX with one of the two? (so one can be a master)

the d300 is fantastic at high iso, but high iso is still not a replacment for fast glass and proper lighting.

Both companies make fantastic cameras, you should try both and see what support and 3rd party support you like the best along with the offerings in bodies and glass.

Make a pro and con list of 10 things for both companies and the awnser should become clearer for you.

Anyone buying into a system just so they can shoot iso3200 be careful , think it all the way through. just because you can shoot it in a pinch doesnt mean your wide open iso 3200 shots will be what you want to offer your clients.

If I could do iso 12000 and it looked like iso 800 on my 20D then I would think WOW, but every step the other company is going to leapfrog, so my point is ;

Get what works the best for you, and learn how to properly use lighting, flash, reflectors etc.. dont expect a high iso to save it for you.

Sold my car today, I get to make my "big purchase" around the end of next week :mrgreen:

Canon might supposedly be doing some mail-in rebates on gear too, so that'll take some of the bite off the purchase.

So, I've decided on: New 5D, Used 20D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 F4L, 430EX and a used 420EX. I'm pretty excited :D

That leaves me enough to stay on my feet for a while and get a much cheaper car. I think it'll be a good trade off to be honest.

What rebates have you heard of?

Congrats...

Are you sure you don't wanna wait for 5D MII... hehehe lol I'm joking.

Question.... why a 430EX and a used 420EX? Doesn't it make sense to have a used 550EX or new 580EX with one of the two? (so one can be a master)

No! I'll keep the 5D 1 that I get, the next body after that will probably be a 1D-MkIII. Or maybe the 3D if it manages to materialize in the next year (rumor mill for the lose).

Mainly for price, and I don't plan on using a master/slave setup. I'll probably get a pair of PW's down the road or the new alien bee triggers when they come out. RF sounds more attractive to me then setups that require line of sight. The 430 can do pretty much everything I'll need, so I'll be content with it and a 420 is just a cheap backup but still has TTL. That way I'm spending about $500 on flashes versus $650. If I start playing more with off camera flash or find I need more power, I can buy the 580 down the road.

The rebates I've heard about are supposed to be similar to the ones on the Canon Canada website. If they are, it will be super attractive because they stack if you buy certain items together (such as the 5D and the two lenses I want). I'm not sure if they've come in the form of the printer/camera combos at B&H and Adorama, but I have another week to find out.

the d300 is fantastic at high iso, but high iso is still not a replacment for fast glass and proper lighting.

Both companies make fantastic cameras, you should try both and see what support and 3rd party support you like the best along with the offerings in bodies and glass.

Make a pro and con list of 10 things for both companies and the awnser should become clearer for you.

Anyone buying into a system just so they can shoot iso3200 be careful , think it all the way through. just because you can shoot it in a pinch doesnt mean your wide open iso 3200 shots will be what you want to offer your clients.

If I could do iso 12000 and it looked like iso 800 on my 20D then I would think WOW, but every step the other company is going to leapfrog, so my point is ;

Get what works the best for you, and learn how to properly use lighting, flash, reflectors etc.. dont expect a high iso to save it for you.

I've been weighing the pro's and cons of each system, and they are very similar in terms of features. Bells and whistles don't really intrigue me that much, but the D300 still has loads of options I do find attractive. Live view doesn't interest me that much, and I don't think I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

I really like the idea of investing in glass intended for full frame. I'd rather not have 5 grand worth of DX only glass and have it lose 50% of it's value when Nikon releases a full frame DXXX. I've just decided that the EOS system is more attractive in terms of price:performance, and they also offer many lenses that Nikon doesn't. I can't think of anything I'll really miss from Nikon, but there are certainly things I'm lusting after in the Canon department.

Honestly, even though I shoot with neither parties, I would make a different choice. If I never had gotten my A200, I probably would have waited a bit longer and took in more information before I chose what I did. Like, if I would have learned about apertures more in depth, I probably would have went with Canon. If right now, I did not have an A200, I probably would have chosen an XTi body with a 50mm f/1.8 and a 430EX Speedlight... but I don't regret the choice I made because I'm happy with it. So don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I hate Sony (because there are Maxxum primes found for just as cheap if not cheaper), I'm just saying, right now, if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would.

What rebates have you heard of?

spring-program-2.jpg

Instant rebates too! Pulled off the dpreview forums, so take it with a grain of salt.

Strange. I read something similar on another site ... just realized why I have not been able to find on B&H nor Adorama. Driving me nuts all day.

It starts on 5/18 :)

Thanks for info.

Thanks. I tried to find it on the Canada web site, but couldn't. I just bought a new lens but it's not on the rebate list. I do need a new flash though.

Where are you purchasing your 20d at?

Probably www.keh.com, they have excellent prices and a pretty good return policy on used items.

So, if it starts on on sunday, I may go camera shopping this weekend :D. I'll probably order my 20D on friday and go pick up a 24-70, and then wait for the rebates to get the 5D, 70-200 and 430EX.

Keep an eye on the Buy and Sell forum for a D80 with a 50mm f1.8 here in the next day or two.

From Nikon to Canon?

There's no way I could. I already shoot Canon :mrgreen:

Even so, I'd have to have a very good reason to switch from one system to another; for instance, if someone were buying the new system for me...

The opposite twist to remove Nikon lenses would trip me up every time. As far as operating the system, it seems pretty similar to me, and I've already got several cameras (even in the Canon line) that operate a bit differently, so that wouldn't be much of an issue.

As far as working with people using the same system... I think I might actually prefer to be the odd man out. Seem like the less people borrow my stuff, the less my stuff gets broken.

There's no way I could. I already shoot Canon :mrgreen:

Even so, I'd have to have a very good reason to switch from one system to another; for instance, if someone were buying the new system for me...

The opposite twist to remove Nikon lenses would trip me up every time. As far as operating the system, it seems pretty similar to me, and I've already got several cameras (even in the Canon line) that operate a bit differently, so that wouldn't be much of an issue.

As far as working with people using the same system... I think I might actually prefer to be the odd man out. Seem like the less people borrow my stuff, the less my stuff gets broken.

I'd actually be the one borrowing equipment. My new boss shoots Canon gear and he will most certainly always have more gear than me. He's trying to convince me to get primes, but I can't look past the versatility of zooms when using only a couple lenses.

Most reactions

Back