What's new

Yosemite and Mono Lake

jensgt

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
242
Reaction score
16
Location
Bowie, MD
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is just some cascades that were running down the rocks on the side of the road on Tioga Road.


7310967276_dcef005508_c.jpg



Tenaya Lake
7311008840_2b102b86a8_c.jpg



up by Glacier Point
7311027626_16312fe23e_c.jpg



Mono Lake
7311098640_3471618fda_c.jpg



Lower Yosemite Falls
7311192066_18a7f0b140_c.jpg
 
Some really great shots! I love the bear and cub, I've been up to Glacier Point a number of times in both seasons and never seen much wildlife. (Although did have a bear rummage through my truck while camping)
 
Nice shots. Like the #5 most.
I will be first time there next week. Any recommendation on photography spot would be appreciated.
 
Make sure you go up to Glacier Point. I come in from the south on 41 (i think) from Oakhurst. It's a nice drive to the top of the world. Also walk to the falls if you are strong. I made it as far as the bridge....try it and report back in a new thread. I go almost every year, amazing place, see new things every time.
 
Beautiful! great job. I want to go visit the Bodie ghost town which is up near Mono Lake some day.
 
Wuhoo! Mono Lake (2nd from bottom) is fantastic! Winner winner. Great job here.

Mark
 
Nice shots. Like the #5 most.
I will be first time there next week. Any recommendation on photography spot would be appreciated.

Where are you staying? There are a few ways to enter the park. 140 is a pretty easy drive...curvy roads but its not "scary". 120 in from the west I have heard is a tough drive, especially priests grade. 41 in from the south is an AMAZING drive into the park but it can be a bit of a white knuckle drive...you are going to have to drive on this road anyways to get to Glacier Point though...so be prepared. There is a turn right before you get to the parking lot at Glacier Point where the road does this 180 turn and there is like NO room off the side of the room...just a breathtaking view of half dome and well....a steep drop to death. LOL. I know some people are not fazed by it but I am a wimp.

As for things to see....if you come in from 41, like we did...you can stop at the Mariposa Grove to see the giant sequoias. Its a little under a mile walk uphill to Grizzly Giant and you pass a few impressive sequoias on the way.

Bridalveil Falls is nearby and you can park and walk to the falls. You can get pretty close up to the falls and its very misty.

The Valley loop is full of great views of half dome and el capitan and all the falls. Drive slow and take it all in! Its so pretty! Stop pretty much anywhere there is a turnout to get different viewpoints in the park. You can stop at the visitors center for a souvenir and a snack...and the ansel adams gallery is there. Keep driving around the loop and you will reach the yosemite falls...its an easy walk to the lower falls...there is a longer hike to upper falls.

The Tioga road is a must see IMO just because of Tenaya Lake. Its awesome. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy this road. Olmstead Point, Tenaya Lake, Tuloumne Meadows, Tioga Lake...all really cool places. Then if you keep going through Tioga Pass you will reach Mono Lake...stop and eat at the whoa nelly deli, it was great!!! The tioga pass road looks scary but is much easier to drive than wawona/hwy41...because there are guard rails and space on the side of the road.

Bodie Ghost town is out there too...it looks cool but we ended up skipping it because of time...

We spent 2 days and there is so much more than what I listed there to see. Vernal falls is popular. I bought a book by Michael Frye which is really awesome and tells you where the best photography spots are and the details on how to reach them. I recommend it.
 
Thank you Trever1t and Jensgt. I am going to stay in Curry Village. Very expensive for the night:(, I should have planed half year earlier to reserve the campground. And I couldn't persuade my girlfriend to backpacking with me.
i will take a hike of Panorama trail from Glacier Point. I am hesitating between lower yosemite fall trail and upper yosemite fall trail. Is it worth the extra 6 miles hike to summit the top the falls.
 
When you went to Yosemite, what gears did you carry during the hike?
 
In yosemite I used my 10-22mm lens 95% of the time.
 
Wow. I just noticed you have a gap in gear between 22 and 150mm. O.o

Mark
 
I need to update it. I have the kit 18-135 and a 100mm 2.8L macro
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom