You guys are going to kill me, ModelMayhem shoot!

Vtec44

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamestangphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I met up with a really nice and friendly model through Model Mayhem, first one that actually doesn't flake and was on time. We went for a quick shoot with a few outfit changes. In the middle of the shoot, I thought it would be fun to take a few horizontal portrait shots. Well, here is one. Oh don't ask but the hat is mine.... :blushing:

I should have tried to frame her on the left too but oh well...
NIK2867.jpg

Stuck where I am in the middle of nowhere in Texas, surrounded by cactus, mesquite, bobcats, coyotes, lechuzas and chupacabras, Model Mayhem is practically my only option.

Fortunately, that's the only horizontal portrait that I took. But here are a few others that I took from the same day...

NIK2859.jpg

nik2854.jpg

NIK2845.jpg

Here's one for fun. Unfortunately it was windy and the hat kind of block the speed light on camera's right...
NIK2887.jpg

wow nice job like the lighting ...model looked comfortable ...

NIK2867.jpg

Fortunately, that's the only horizontal portrait that I took. But here are a few others that I took from the same day...

nik2854.jpg

It seems to me that the vertical compositions show a bit more of the assets she brought to the shoot...

It seems to me that the vertical compositions show a bit more of the assets she brought to the shoot...

So this is why you've been advocating vertical compositions! lol

Yes. And I mean that seriously. YES. Showing the bustline of an attractive young female in summery clothes gives us a good, complete "look" at her youthful figure, as well as her style of dress. Instead of a floating head that visually rests upon a couple of inches of bare chest, and with maybe a single tank top strap showing, when the camera is turned to VERTICAL, to match the subject's body positioning, then we see her head not just "floating" but supported by what is called a "base" at the bottom of the frame. Visually, when the subject's torso/bustline/chest/body runs across the full width of the bottom of the frame, then the face and neck are visually "supported", and not just shown "floating". And besides, she is taller than she is wide in this pose. Now, if she were lying on her side, with her head propped up using her elbow on the ground, and her hand supporting her head, then turing the camera to a horizontal view would mirror her body position, and would also show more of "her",and would make visual sense!

I have grown extremely weary of people attacking me for suggesting vertical camera orientation on standing subjects. Over the past few weeks, we've had some MAJOR disgreements, with newbies with a year or two of photography attacking my traditional education in formal portraiture. So, here is a portfolio of 56 swimwear shots on the Sports Illustrated web site, showing the PROPER "TRADITIONAL" WAY to compose and frame the female figure, in all aspects: close-up, head-and shoulder, bust, half-body seated, half body standing, full length standing, and full-length reclining.

[NOT SAFE FOR WORK in prudish environments!!!!] Irina Shayk - Swimsuit by GOTTEX - 2011 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Photo Gallery - SI.com [NOT SAFE FOR WORK in prudish environments!!!!]

Take a look: horizontals comprise approximately 10 percent of the frames. Just look at the proper, traditional way to frame the human body. It;s not just "me" who recommends vertical compositions, and I do NOT suggest vertical composition ion each and every portrait, as one trouble-maker suggested last week. The framing needs to be appropriate to the POSE!!!!!!!!!! That is a huge difference between always insisting on vertical,vertical,vertical for no other reason than to be obstinate. The language of visual communication and posing conventions dates back to ancient times. Looking through these images, I would ask people to ask themselves, "Would this look better if it were shot with the opposite camera orientation, or did the photographer choose the best orientation for the pose?"

Just as a learning exercise, mind you...

Nice use of fill lighting and composition.

I agree 1 would look better vertical and depending on posing horizontal is just fine. I also wish you were away from the background more. The tree and fence are a little distracting to me. I like #2 also. Lighting nice and soft :)

Yes, your fill is ample...no raccoon eyes...and the flesh tones look nice. Ya' done good ! I can see it looks like flash fill. Were any reflectors involved? The seated polka-dot dress shots have nice, very soft fill, like from an umbrella it looks like. ON the standing full-length polka dot dress shot, it looks like the flash is harder; did you do a lighting change? Or is that just a harder light from the flash being farther away from her?

I am currently practicing on lighting and fill and I see so many shots come across here of back lit subjects just begging for that slight fill or flash needed or they were moved to deeper shade and now are underexposed. I am no expert but I really like the fact you recognized that, took care of business and have some nice shots. :thumbup: People, newbies, take note of these shots, these are natural light done well imo.

Yes, your fill is ample...no raccoon eyes...and the flesh tones look nice. Ya' done good ! I can see it looks like flash fill. Were any reflectors involved? The seated polka-dot dress shots have nice, very soft fill, like from an umbrella it looks like. ON the standing full-length polka dot dress shot, it looks like the flash is harder; did you do a lighting change? Or is that just a harder light from the flash being farther away from her?

On the seated polka dot dress, I used 1 soft reflector and 2 diffused speed lights + sun on on camera's right. The soft reflector was to bounce the sun and flash back onto her other arm and chair so I don't get harsh shadows on there. I don't think I needed it but it was there :D On the standing polka dot dress, it got really windy and very bright sun so we used a silver reflector on camera right and one person held a speed light on camera left with sun just behind her shoulders on camera right. Yeah the silver reflector was too powerful and it was too windy for us to use the soft box & light stands. So that one is in my trash pile but I love the playfulness of her composition. :(

I metered the brightest spot in my composition and flash filled the rest.

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestion guys. I hate being criticized (we all do) but I do read and learn from them. lol Now if I can be consistent through all my shoots, I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back