Please help!

i always thought this was a good example of high key
kissessmall.jpg

i think the image can be light but a key part is to have your pure white areas to transition smoothly to the darker areas. in the first set you did there seems to be mostly blown out areas and all the sudden a midtone pops out of nowhere.

when i did this picture(ive never shot in a studio) i just pointed a floor lamp at my wall and increased the EV on my camera to maximum. then in photoshop i used the levels tool to ajust it so most of the background was pure white. then to get rid of the areas of the background that were still a bit darker i used the dodge tool set to highlights and went to town. for the fade out thing at the bottom of the photo i masked the layer with a gradient.

Onyx said:
i think the image can be light but a key part is to have your pure white areas to transition smoothly to the darker areas. in the first set you did there seems to be mostly blown out areas and all the sudden a midtone pops out of nowhere.
Yes! Thank you for putting that in such a clear way. It's what my brain was stumbling to come up with.

It doesn't alway have to be a long transition, but I think it should be smooth. A quick jump to midtones and then a more normal curve to dark ends up looking blown.

I think your example above is a great one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back