24-70 or 17-35 for my crop sensor camera?

JMBriggs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm looking into getting a new portraiture lens. I have the Canon t1i which has the 1.6 crop. I am currently saving for the 5D mkIII so would it be more practical to buy the 17-35 2.8 L over the 24-70 2.8 L? I would eventually like to own both but for now I am just looking to buy the one that will be most useful now.

Although I'm shooting Nikon, focal length is focal length....
17-35 on the crop frame is about 27-56mm. Although it isn't the worst of the focal length, depending on the type of portraiture you'll be performing, it might work out; however, it isn't a lens I'd recommend for close ups/head shot. On the other hand, I LOVE using my 24-70 on the crop body, more often then not it's great on the 70mm end (in my case its about 105mm, in yours it'll be a bit more) but on the wide end, at least for me, its often isn't wide enough for larger groups or in tight space.
So, for portraits alone (3/4 to close ups) 24-70.

Good Luck
J

For portraits, most will tell you to go longer. I know a lot who love shooting portraits from 50mm on out, some even prefer shooting 80-200mm portraits, specially on full frame. 24-70 seems to be the "industry standard" but 70-200 is also very very popular. Generally, the wider you get, the closer to landscape photography you get, no portrait.

I would say 24-70.

24-70, if you shoot people you'll find yourself in the 50-70mm side no matter what sensor you're hitting with

Try them both (even if only at the camera store) before you make a decision, but I will say that I used my 24-70 on a DX body for a long time and while I did find that occasionally it wasn't quite as wide as I would like, the long was great for portraiture.

Ok, thanks everyone! I was leaning towards the 24-70 anyways, I just didn't want to make a mistake especially because this will be my biggest photography purchase so far. (Until the MkIII possibly in March!)

Already have the 50 1.4. I want a zoom so I'm not switching lenses so often on shoots.

Already have the 50 1.4. I want a zoom so I'm not switching lenses so often on shoots.

I have a 50 1.4 plus a 24-70, believe me the zoomer will live on your body most of the time even though its heavier.

I have a 50 1.4 plus a 24-70, believe me the zoomer will live on your body most of the time even though its heavier.

I disagree. It depends on what you're doing. I pretty much only use my 24-70 for photojournalism and walking around the city. The 50 is a great lens for candid shots, portraits, or anything in lower light. I also keep the 100L on my camera a ton because I love macro work, and it takes great portraits. Now the 70-200, that's another story. That's one zoom I could keep on my camera all day.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Most reactions

Back