A pic of an SLR, with a DSLR

NATO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this one tonight, worked it up in post. Anyway enjoy and let me know what you think and what I can improve.

L1A1-web.jpg

For all of those expecting to see a camera, the Bitish (and many former commonwealth nations) referred to this as the "Self Loading Rifle"

Nice rifle.

White balance is off. I don't know what software you use, but that's an easy fix.
Also, there's a few spots of some kind (2 under the gas block, 2 under the bayonet, 2 more under the reciever) that I would clone out...

Last edited:
I can tell you did this hand held from the blur on the back of the barrel. A tripod would be great here, or some kind of surface if you don't have one.

The bayonet (or whatever it is called) is out of focus. Try stopping your shutter up to f22+ and don't zoom. Then focus about 1/3'rd of the way down the gun, somewhere on the barrel. This should give you good depth of field.

I like the look of those rounds, ouch.

It's and L1A1, made under license from FN at Australia's Lithgow armory. The upper receiver is the correct aussie patteren made by DSArms.
Ok here it is after some revisions,

L1A1-r2.jpg

I can tell you did this hand held from the blur on the back of the barrel. A tripod would be great here, or some kind of surface if you don't have one.

The bayonet (or whatever it is called) is out of focus. Try stopping your shutter up to f22+ and don't zoom. Then focus about 1/3'rd of the way down the gun, somewhere on the barrel. This should give you good depth of field.

I like the look of those rounds, ouch.

Actually this was done from a very sturdy tripod, however it had a 6s shutter time, I'll try the higher f, and zoom

Hmmm sorry about that, maybe its shadow...

The new colors look much better, you could even stand to experiment with brightening it a bit.

Where were you focusing for this shot? Depth of field goes forward and back from the area in focus. I believe the term is hyperfocal distance. Don't ask me to explain that, I never really did grasp it all that well.

My initial thought was that the bayonet was out of focus as well, if you're focused on the bullets, it may be due to that. Try focusing right in the middle of the barrel, also shoot with at least aperture 8 (depending on distance to the subject.. how close are you, and what focal length?)

I actually brighten the photo a tiny bit, was afraid to wash out the colors of the wood.

I was focusing on the vent holes in the Handguards which is very close to the middle of the barrel, or are you saying focus on the middle of the exposed portion?

I was approx. 6 feet away from the rifle. If someone would be so kind as to explain extrapolating the focal length I would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the advise so far and keep it coming please.

I actually brighten the photo a tiny bit, was afraid to wash out the colors of the wood.

I was focusing on the vent holes in the Handguards which is very close to the middle of the barrel, or are you saying focus on the middle of the exposed portion?

I was approx. 6 feet away from the rifle. If someone would be so kind as to explain extrapolating the focal length I would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the advise so far and keep it coming please.
Yeah, that is pretty close to the middle, it should all be in focus, especially at 6 feet. What camera and lens are you shooting with?

Some exif data would help, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, etc. This should all be saved in your original photo (If in windows, right click on the picture, click properties then Details, and the Advanced tab may need to be clicked.)

Camera was a Nikon D60, the Lens was a 18-55 VR nikkor.

ExposureTime : 6.00Sec
FNumber : F5.6
ExposureProgram : Manual
FocalLength : 48.00(mm)

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Actually I have developed a theory about the focus, First off due to the angle the rifle appears deceptively short with the L4A1 pig-sticker (bayonet) attached it's about 4.5 feet long. Due to the fact that I am not used to having a camera that can go the distance I zoomed in on it. When redoing the shot (after I get some sleep) I will make it a point to zoom out, use a higher aperture, and readjust the focus to the middle of the barrel.

If you stop down too much, anything you gain in depth of field is lost due to softness in diffraction, so it's not worth stopping down as far as f/22. It's definitely worth stopping down a little further than f/5.6, though.
Nice pic, by the way.

If you stop down too much, anything you gain in depth of field is lost due to softness in diffraction, so it's not worth stopping down as far as f/22. It's definitely worth stopping down a little further than f/5.6, though.
I agree. Try f/8.

The revised version looks much better

Isn't the focus problem just a depth of field issue?

BTW, consider maybe setting up a space for this... maybe an area with a white sheet draped over it or a lightbox. This looks like it was done on a marble mantle or something. It's a fine place to "capture an image of the subject", but if you want something a bit more professional or artistic, you're going to need to put a bit more into the surroundings of the object. (or, I suppose... a bit less) :)

Most reactions

Back