About to be a Father.. ?'s on tips of getting great shots in the delivery room

j77l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to this forum and photography.. have always had point and shoot cameras until now, I bought a Nikon D5100 and love it so far, have been reading alot and watching alot of tutorials on the basics, F-stops, Aperature, Iso, etc.. but looking for any suggestions so I have the right settings for the first pics of my daughter.

Currently have a Nikon D5100, with the kit lens (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 G VR) and a (AF-2 DX Nikkor 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6G ED VR).

Looking for any tips, should I get an external flash, other than the built in? what kind? should I get a 55mm, 1.8 lens?? Thoughts, Suggestions, Helps...

Future Father,
Thanks!

Congrats! Also, for the best pics, don't pass out.

Let the medical team do their work, and enjoy those moments, congrats my friend.

First off...congratulations!!! My daughter was born three months ago, and I had huge ambitions for delivery room photography, until we realized a c-section was happening. My advice, don't sweat the photography, just enjoy every minute! I pride myself on taking every photograph on manual mode, not this day. I threw my D3100 on auto and had enough time to snap 2 or 3 shots between smiling, crying and making sure mama was comfortable. You will have all the time in the world right after everything settles down, take the pictures then, when its go time, pictures are the last thing on your mind.

Have a blast, and soak up every minute!

The best photo I have of my son was the minute he was removed from the womb but before the surgeon cut the cord.... The surgeon had his hand out as the nurse was handing him the scissors. We had complications and things were moving so quickly that the camera was the least of my concerns. I just happen to have my wife's point and shoot in my shirt pocket. I noticed from the reflection of the glass face guard of one of the nurses that they were pulling him out. I instinctively pulled out the camera, held it over my head (over the curtain), and took two "blind" shots.... absolutely stunning results!!! Spot on...

Leave the complications behind... and enjoy the ride.

check with the hospital first.. a lot of hospitals no longer allow any photography during a procedure. when we had our son, there were NO cameras or phones allowed. They said it was for liability reasons... meaning, if they screw something up, you will have photographic evidence instead of just the doctors and staff's word.

As a three-time father, my advice is to be there for your wife - first and foremost. Let the nurses clean up the baby, the reality is different from what you may imagine. Probably the best first shot would be when the baby is with Mom - that is a keepsake. Congratulations, and may the event happen without complications.

The best image was actually taken by one of the doctors in the operating room. This picture was taken 4 minutes after she came out, doc already had mom sewn back up. Pretty cool that one of the doctors that delivers your baby girl takes your first family picture!

$DSC_3233.JPG

Before you check with on your hospital's policy, make sure you check your wife's policy as well. Have the conversation ahead of time when there isn't an overabundance of stress, pain, and screaming. Doing it ahead of time may save your wife some screaming and you some pain. My wife and I had the discussion ahead of time and finding the right shot was easy - well after baby was here and mom had a chance to gather herself. That's just the way it was going to be.

My daughter was born on a hospital that has a photography professional available for taking the shoots on the delivery room. In my opinion it´s better to enjoy the moment! Let someone take the photos with it´s possible.
Congrats!

Babies dont look very beautiful when they get out.

They improve a lot in the next days.

Thats why I wouldnt bother snapping any photos in the delivery room.

Congrats~~

When my daughter was born, I only have a P&S. And the hospital staff/nurses inside the baby delivery room ask me if I had a camera with me and told me to snap few photos. I guess it vary from hospital to hospital.

My opinion is, if hospital allow, why not? Snap the photos first and decides if you want to keep them later (of course, keep them). At least you have a choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back