About to be a Father.. ?'s on tips of getting great shots in the delivery room

Get an external flash and bounce the light off the ceiling and walls, and not directly at the new baby. Shoot in Raw.

As a mom - I will chime in. You should absolutely get those shots! I am sure if you let he OBGYN know that you want to get a picture when the baby comes out, he/she will be accommodating. Ours told my husband, "okay dad, get your camera ready", and this was the result:

$B1.405.jpg

It's totally gross, right? Blood and a pastey white baby. But you know what I see? I see my baby taking his first breath. And what you don't know is that a few minutes after this photo was taken, that little baby stopped breathing. He almost did not make it, and spent a very difficult 3 weeks in NICU. I am happy to tell you that this sweet boy is now 5 years old, happy and healthy. :)

I will also add that this was taken with a 2004 model canon point and shoot.

[video=vimeo;24343709]http://vimeo.com/24343709[/video]

Schwettylens! Love the video! I watched the entire thing. I love the progression of your daughters (and your quality of work). So sweet!

I had two homebirths and photos were very important to me (obviously) but being in the moment and having my husband in the moment ended up being more important. I am a tiny bit sad that I have no photos of the actual birth but having the memories of my hubby being so involved with the birth is a great trade off. I would say take your camera, put it in auto. and take pics if you can. Keep it close by on the chair. Or better yet, give it to your mother in law or who ever is in the room to snap some pics. Congrats!

Schwettylens! Love the video! I watched the entire thing. I love the progression of your daughters (and your quality of work). So sweet!

Unfortunately I bought a DSLR when they were 2 months old. I wish it was way before that.

I'll echo the sentiments of those who say that you should enjoy the moment, first and foremost.

The birth of a child is like nothing else you will ever be a part of. If you're taking pictures, you'll be removed from it. Maybe not completely; maybe just a little bit.

But that'll still be way too much...

Babies dont look very beautiful when they get out.

They improve a lot in the next days.

Thats why I wouldnt bother snapping any photos in the delivery room.

No I guess it's dumb to want a shot of the first moments of your child's life. Let's wait until they look pretty instead! As a parent of two (3 and 11 weeks) I can tell you, the best and most beautiful shots I have of both of them as babies were delivery room shots. Other people might not think so, but I didn't take the shot for them, they're for me and my wife and for us to remember that moment.

As to the OP's question, I'd recommend getting a fast 50mm or 35mm lens and learning how to use it. The lighting in delivery rooms is usually pretty bad, except, well, where the baby comes out (big huge light so the Doc can see), and I have a feeling your significant other wouldn't appreciate a shot of that. Make sure to take care of your SO first, before taking any shots. Keep flash OFF, and make sure you are somewhere you're allowed to be, and they allow you to shoot.

Get an external flash and bounce the light off the ceiling and walls, and not directly at the new baby. Shoot in Raw.

I wouldn't use a flash. Remember, a delivery room isn't just some room. And even after the birth, there's a lot of work left for the Docs/Nurses to do. The last thing they need is a big obnoxious flash going off every few seconds.

If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :)

Make sure Momma's taken care of first - she's going to need your support, even with painkillers or an epidural - it can be a long, exhausting process.

When my second daughter was born last October, I intentionally left my DSLR at home, and my wife thanked me for it. I went back and got it later, after Momma and baby were both resting, and I don't regret anything about that. We have another baby coming this October (a boy!) and I plan to do the same thing.

oh god... this page looks like its full of all the tech dads that want to take pictures of mommy while she is in agony (or bliss if under sedation,) while daddy takes countless pictures pissing of the docs and mommy.

Do your wife a favor... enjoy the moment, holder her hand and be next to her for support.

Also side note your son will never ever want to see those pictures...

Only shoot the baby weighing, measuring, etc. Skip the rest and just experience the moment.

hire a birth photogapher :D
yes enjoy the moment, if this is your first u wont get it again. Pay someone to do it well, he or she will likely have good gear and skill, hell you might even be able to find someone thru the forums.

hire a birth photogapher :D
yes enjoy the moment, if this is your first u wont get it again. Pay someone to do it well, he or she will likely have good gear and skill, hell you might even be able to find someone thru the forums.

I thought you already registered the kenrockwell username, why create a new one just wondering.

Most reactions

Back