About to be a Father.. ?'s on tips of getting great shots in the delivery room

Bring the point and shoot. You will be so preoccupied that the only thing you will be able to do is maybe press a button. My wife had a c-section and I waited until we were back in the room. Took two shots in operating room, more journalistic than memorable.

Babies dont look very beautiful when they get out.

They improve a lot in the next days.

Thats why I wouldnt bother snapping any photos in the delivery room.

Like wise, wait for few days / weeks.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

oh god... this page looks like its full of all the tech dads that want to take pictures of mommy while she is in agony (or bliss if under sedation,) while daddy takes countless pictures pissing of the docs and mommy.

Do your wife a favor... enjoy the moment, holder her hand and be next to her for support.

Also side note your son will never ever want to see those pictures...

It's not for your son. :p As far as photographing the actual delivery, I wouldn't. Be there for mom first. Do what I did, ask if it's ok. My wife, for both of our children was actually mad I didn't start shooting sooner. :p Bottom line though, make sure mom is ok before doing ANY shooting.

Only shoot the baby weighing, measuring, etc. Skip the rest and just experience the moment.

This is probably the best advice. Wait until they take the baby to the weigh station (or whatever that thing is called). It'll likely still be within minutes of birth, and you get to enjoy those first few minutes without a camera in front of your face.

Thanks everyone for the advice.. I appreciate it... Would always be there for my wife first.. but she is just as interested in some key pics as I am... of our daughter of course, not her.. lol... Thanks again!

It sucks when you ask a question, and most of the answers are moral advice or lecture. I remember asking a question regarding taking pictures at my kid's t-ball game, and most of the advice was "Just enjoy your kid playing, time goes by too fast". Is it at all possible to keep the parenting advice to ourselves and just answer the question?

OP - If you are very new to photography, I say put the camera on auto and let the camera do the work. This way, you can take your pictures and not worry about if you are exposing properly. In a moment like that, I don't know if I would be able to take a properly exposed photo as a new beginner.

As for telling you what settings to choose, that all comes down to the light in the room. Any advice to give would be a uninformed
guess. However, if you have time in the room before the baby is born,you can play with the settings to find the right one for wherever your standing. This way, the settings are chosen and all you have to do is *click*.

I would say to use auto or shutter priority so you don't have to concentrate on technique, instead you can enjoy the moment.

and no the shots aren't pretty, but you wouldn't want to miss it for the world and to have photos to go with the memories.
I took my old camcorder hoping to get video, however they wouldn't allow it. So I had to use the camcorder for the stills. Oh well.

View attachment 13456View attachment 13455

Hope all goes well!

Only shoot the baby weighing, measuring, etc. Skip the rest and just experience the moment.

This is probably the best advice. Wait until they take the baby to the weigh station (or whatever that thing is called). It'll likely still be within minutes of birth, and you get to enjoy those first few minutes without a camera in front of your face.[/QUOTE]

Actually this is usually when its Dads turn in the spot light, to cut the rest of the cord. A lot of nurses will ask if you want them to take a picture with your camera so its probably best to have it in auto. :wink:

Ballistics said:
It sucks when you ask a question, and most of the answers are moral advice or lecture. I remember asking a question regarding taking pictures at my kid's t-ball game, and most of the advice was "Just enjoy your kid playing, time goes by too fast". Is it at all possible to keep the parenting advice to ourselves and just answer the question? ....

If you read the OP you will see where he asks "thoughts, suggestions, helps?". That pretty much leaves it wide open. Saying other aspects have no place is your opinion. I have been in a C-section room twice with daughters being born. I went in thinking I would capture it all. After forgetting I even had a camera with me for awhile, i decided that post delivery was what I really wanted to capture. Preparing the OP for the craziness that ensues is good.

OP: Suggested photo checklist:
1 Mom before going to the hospital.
2 Mom checking in at the hospital
3 Mom in the prep room
4 Mom going into delivery
5 Doctor
6 Baby being cleaned and weighed. (get the scale readout if possible) + cord cutting.
7 Baby being bundled
8 Baby with mom
9 baby with you
10 Baby during bath.

Of course some of this is not possible if it is not cesarean.

Good luck.

Ballistics said:
It sucks when you ask a question, and most of the answers are moral advice or lecture. I remember asking a question regarding taking pictures at my kid's t-ball game, and most of the advice was "Just enjoy your kid playing, time goes by too fast". Is it at all possible to keep the parenting advice to ourselves and just answer the question? ....

If you read the OP you will see where he asks "thoughts, suggestions, helps?". That pretty much leaves it wide open. Saying other aspects have no place is your opinion. I have been in a C-section room twice with daughters being born. I went in thinking I would capture it all. After forgetting I even had a camera with me for awhile, i decided that post delivery was what I really wanted to capture. Preparing the OP for the craziness that ensues is good.

OP: Suggested photo checklist:
1 Mom before going to the hospital.
2 Mom checking in at the hospital
3 Mom in the prep room
4 Mom going into delivery
5 Doctor
6 Baby being cleaned and weighed. (get the scale readout if possible) + cord cutting.
7 Baby being bundled
8 Baby with mom
9 baby with you
10 Baby during bath.

Of course some of this is not possible if it is not cesarean.

Good luck.

No, it doesn't leave it wide open. This is a photo forum, he is asking advice for photography. Advice about anything else is out of context.

My wife's delivery was pretty calm I'd say.. I brought my point and shoot, my dslr and my camcorder.. that being said, I would like to give my two cents..

1) Be there for your wife..
2) My first photo was actually when they weighed my little son and I'd say I'm fine with that.. don't need the blood photos..
3) after that I started using my cameras a little bit more.. I have shot from his first bath and when the baby is first put on mommy's breast... and then videos with mom and dad a s o..

It's a precious moment, don't waste it spending too much with gadgets.. but definitively capture some cute memory shots too :)

$liten noah.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back